Never Again on RCCL! Poor Customer Service!

7 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I doubt that most companies keep every recording for every conversation for every representative in perpetuity.  

I even doubt that most calls are actually recorded (not just RCI -- every large corporation)... if you listen, the disclaimer is usually that this call MAY/MIGHT be recorded for quality control.  

When booking ANY travel, it's up to you to make sure you're booking what you want and at the fare you want.  It's not just cruises -- airlines also only show you the non-refundable fare (because it's the cheapest) unless you go out of your way to request a refundable fare (which is astronomically higher).  

Regarding the comment about having 30 days to change a reservation after booking at NextCruise, that is specific ONLY to the NextCruise bookings and does not apply to general bookings through the website, on the phone, or through a Travel Agent.

Speaking of Travel Agents, any decent TA will get you the same OR BETTER pricing as you'll get from the RCI website/call center, and also hold the room(s) for 24 hours and give you a chance to look over the entire booking confirmation/invoice before putting any money down.   I'd recommend the OP try using a reputable TA next time, but they state that they're never using RCI again, which works for me -- reduced demand means my prices will be lower! 

I thought this thread is a great advertisement for using a good TA

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, brillohead said:

When booking ANY travel, it's up to you to make sure you're booking what you want and at the fare you want.  It's not just cruises -- airlines also only show you the non-refundable fare (because it's the cheapest) unless you go out of your way to request a refundable fare (which is astronomically higher).  

I am not sure which airlines you fly. My most used are Southwest, JetBlue, American, and British Air. Each is pretty crystal clear on their websites about the various fare options, what they include, and what restrictions apply.

14 minutes ago, SteelMagnolia9 said:

I have empathy for the OP. Sometimes things like this get past us, for one reason or another.

I have to 100% agree. The original point by the OP was that they were not TOLD over the phone that it was NRD. The rep should have absolutely disclosed this information.

Yes, they could have read every word of every document sent to them. But at this point, that it just Monday morning quarterbacking. Besides, does everyone really read every line of every document that comes their way?? Or do the repeat Loyal-to-Royal cruisers just know where to look from experience?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Besides, does everyone really read every line of every document that comes their way?? Or do the repeat Loyal-to-Royal cruisers just know where to look from experience?

First cruise I took I read the cruise contract word for word but it was so scary that I soon gave up that practice.😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I have to 100% agree. The original point by the OP was that they were not TOLD over the phone that it was NRD. The rep should have absolutely disclosed this information.

Yes, they could have read every word of every document sent to them. But at this point, that it just Monday morning quarterbacking. Besides, does everyone really read every line of every document that comes their way?? Or do the repeat Loyal-to-Royal cruisers just know where to look from experience?

While I do not read every word, every time, I would question what NRD means if it was on my booking multiple times.  Plus, the statement about the non refundable deposit is dead center on my invoice, hard to miss.

@HBE4 I am not "Loyal-to-Royal" but I will answer your question. I do read every line of a contract that I'm signing or an invoice that is costing me hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. I will admit I have not read every line of my cable or phone agreements but I did make sure to read the part(s) about monthly fees and cancellation policies, twice.

I am far from wealthy and am single with one income. I take anything that costs me $$ pretty seriously. I priced new tires for three months to get the best value and warranty.

I have empathy for the OP. However, I don't think the customer service rep stated the deposit was refundable. I just think it wasn't stated either way and the OP assumed it was refundable. Do I feel it should have been made clear either way, absolutely. Do I think people make mistakes, yep. Hence, when I book direct I make sure to have them send me the paperwork before I hang up (I learned that here on CC).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Besides, does everyone really read every line of every document that comes their way??

Definitely not but there are certain things I check over very carefully when booking any travel service. 

1. Price
  2. Deposit amount
  3. Cabin number
  4. Final Payment date
  5. Cancellation policy

That being said, I also empathize with the OP.  It is very easy to get messed with all of the different terms and condition and options that are available.  Especially if you are more familiar with a different line and how they do things.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

While I do not read every word, every time, I would question what NRD means if it was on my booking multiple times.  Plus, the statement about the non refundable deposit is dead center on my invoice, hard to miss.

Good Point. I went back to my last Royal Invoice. It actually had "NO REF DEP" listed next to the fare.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I am not "Loyal-to-Royal" but I will answer your question. I do read every line of a contract that I'm signing or an invoice that is costing me hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. I will admit I have not read every line of my cable or phone agreements but I did make sure to read the part(s) about monthly fees and cancellation policies, twice. 

Going off topic for a second but I worked in IT for a large wireless phone company many years ago. The Billing Dept had us change the format of the phone bill 3 times in less than 2 years. Minor stuff like increasing the font or underlining/bolding certain sections of the bill (like Due Date or Late Charges) to make the sure it would stand out & customer would see it.  Otherwise their eyes would glaze over.

The Royal invoice, everything is the same type so nothing really jumps out. Yes, everything is in clear sight and nothing is buried in legalese but........it could be displayed a bit more prominently.....IMHO.

24 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I am far from wealthy and am single with one income. I take anything that costs me $$ pretty seriously. I priced new tires for three months to get the best value and warranty.

Ha! Glad to know I'm not the only one that does that.

25 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Do I think people make mistakes, yep. Hence, when I book direct I make sure to have them send me the paperwork before I hang up (I learned that here on CC).

Same here. It's amazing how fast they can get that e-mail out. I know Royal IT has taken its share of well-earned lumps but that it one thing that deserves a thumbs-up.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Definitely not but there are certain things I check over very carefully when booking any travel service. 

1. Price
  2. Deposit amount
  3. Cabin number
  4. Final Payment date
  5. Cancellation policy

Same here. Except #3 is always first. And I don't always check #5 (knocks wood as I never had to cancel.......yet)

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I wonder what RCI's response would have been if the OP had called back right after getting the booking confirmation and asked for the change to refundable. If they would have allowed it then I agree with you. But if they stuck to their guns when the rep never disclosed the fact then I'd be very upset.

Every time I book I check cruise out in detail on the terrible website before I call to book.  I know what I am booking.  In addition, I have always been told I have 24 hours to change my mind.  I never hang up the phone until they email my confirmation and I print it.  I then take my yellow marker and hilight all important information.

OP it appears you may not have done this.  Sorry for your issues and that you weren't able to resolve them to your liking.  In the good old days they called it "buyer beware."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Same here. Except #3 is always first. And I don't always check #5 (knocks wood as I never had to cancel.......yet)

I travel extensively for work so these are just rules of thumb for me for all travel. Even still somehow I manage to screw up sometimes.

Under cabin number replace it with seat number/bed configuration/size of car for flight/hotel/car rental.  I have learned the hard way that if you don't watch all of these things carefully the probability of ending up with a disappointing experience grows exponentially.  None of this is exclusive to the cruise industry in my experience anyways. Car rental agencies are the worst in my opinion.

You all ask why I am posting now.  As I said, I booked this in October 2018.  In January, when my son changed his job and could not get off this October 2019 for the cruise, I immediately called RCL and asked for a refund.  It was THEN that I discovered this was a NRD.  I was shocked.  Again, we have cruised with RCL before on a couple occasions.  Nothing on the website said NRD nor did the rep say anything.  Never before have I booked with RCL was there a nonrefundable deposit that I booked!  I disputed with my credit card, RCL denied it.  My credit card company said they could not make RCL pull a recording (if there was one).  NOW, why I am posting NOW is because I got an email regarding final payment.  I immediately called RCL and stated my case again, what had transpired, etc.  I even asked the CSR with RCL about pulling the recording.  She said she would ask her supervisor - supervisor denied the request.  I was then told that I could cancel cruise and lose my $2000 or keep it and move it to another date for a penalty of $600.  May, who I was talking to, was very empathetic to the situation - her supervisor was not.  I elected to cancel the cruise.  This is why I am just posting this now.  It was final payment due - the email came yesterday about final payment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gooselover said:

If a deposit is NONREFUNDABLE, it should CLEARLY state so on the website - this did not state this....and when I called the rep to book, he never mentioned it.  It's very clear with Carnival if nonrefundable or not!

I booked mine on their website. It clearly gave an option to select refundable deposits at an additional cost. And when I look at my reservation on their website it shows a non refundable deposit. And I received an email from them showing what I paid and what is owed and again it shows the deposit as no refundable. I don’t sail till February and I still got confirmation of booking. 

Not saying that they didn’t disclose the information that it was non refundable but there are places you would have seen it prior to now.

right in the middle of the confirmation mine says:

DEPOSIT AND FINAL PAYMENT SCHEDULE
Your deposit has been posted to your reservation. The minimum deposit for this reservation is non-refundable. Final Payment is due by 25 NOV 2019, 5:00 PM EST. A change fee of $100 USD per guest will apply for ship or sail date changes. The balance due must be paid in full by the final date listed above to prevent booking from cancelling. Balance and payments may not reflect transactions made within the past 48 hours.

So it’s not in hidden tiny print. 

Edited by BeachChik
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, gooselover said:

You all ask why I am posting now.  As I said, I booked this in October 2018.  In January, when my son changed his job and could not get off this October 2019 for the cruise, I immediately called RCL and asked for a refund.  It was THEN that I discovered this was a NRD.  I was shocked.  Again, we have cruised with RCL before on a couple occasions.  Nothing on the website said NRD nor did the rep say anything.  Never before have I booked with RCL was there a nonrefundable deposit that I booked!  I disputed with my credit card, RCL denied it.  My credit card company said they could not make RCL pull a recording (if there was one).  NOW, why I am posting NOW is because I got an email regarding final payment.  I immediately called RCL and stated my case again, what had transpired, etc.  I even asked the CSR with RCL about pulling the recording.  She said she would ask her supervisor - supervisor denied the request.  I was then told that I could cancel cruise and lose my $2000 or keep it and move it to another date for a penalty of $600.  May, who I was talking to, was very empathetic to the situation - her supervisor was not.  I elected to cancel the cruise.  This is why I am just posting this now.  It was final payment due - the email came yesterday about final payment. 

You are not losing $2000 unless you don't use the credit and cruise again

Please keep in mind that I haven't booked with RCL for about 3 years due to our business.  I am sure things have changed, but I will reiterate again, I am very savvy about nonrefundable deposits, I stay away from them due to our business.  i saw NOTHING, nor did the rep say anything.  I had NO CLUE this was a nonrefundable deposit.

I don't know if this helps right now, but have you considered changing the dates to a time when he can take off?  It would be better than eating $2000 and at least you'd still get a cruise out of it.  Just offering a suggestion.  Sorry this happened to you. 

I sympathize with the OP.  I recently called to make a booking and at no time did the rep use the words non refundable.  It would have been in my documents but as stated we often don’t read the fine print.  I’m well aware of the practice change but if you haven’t cruised for a while with RCCL or are new to cruising you might not know the questions to ask.

The reps DO NOT make it clear.  They don’t even offer the non refundable unless you ask. I have 2 adult kids each looking at booking cruises right now and have warned them to ask and be clear about what they are placing a deposit for.  

Lesson learned I’m sure but it can be a bummer to learn the hard way. I can understand why the OP would be upset but also unfortunately I’m sure there is no re- course.  This and no longer offering reduced deposits are one reason we are starting to search for new lines to try.  We’re still happy with the RCCL product overall but not so happy with some of the new practices.

• Like 1