Never Again on RCCL! Poor Customer Service!

1 hour ago, Big_G said:

Usually people who start 'Never Again' threads aren't looking for advice and I applaud those who in their good nature continue to offer it. Me? I got nothing. Happier sailings with whoever you sail with OP.

It is the unofficially required "See me, I'm leaving Manifesto". Instead of just leaving the line, it is unofficially required that you write a Manifesto here on cruise critic.

I'm hoping for the day that I can right my own, but I just wrote Carnival Cruise off instead. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/10/2019 at 3:42 PM, Ocean Boy said:

If someone had not cruised in the recent past why would they even give a thought to the deposit not being refundable. Non-refundable deposits are a fairly new invention for RCI.

Its not fairly new. They always had refundable onky to a certain day out 

7 hours ago, lr657 said:

Still don't understand why you are cancelling instead of just booking another date. If you book another date you will loose $600, but still have a cruise. By cancelling you loose $2000 and forfeit any cruise. Doesn't seem rational to me. $600 is an expensive lesson, but loosing $2000 and having nothing to show for it is even worse and unnecessary.

I don't get it either. Royal Caribbean is laughing all the way to the bank. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

@gooselover - do you realize, after all of these posts, that the price difference between refundable and nonrefundable fares for all six of you, would almost definitely (because I'm not going to say "always"), would have been more than $600?  

That alone should make you reconsider your decision to cancel.  You are not really "out $600", and you do not have to sacrifice the balance of the deposits, which should be $150 pp, or $900, because THAT will be applied to whichever future cruise you select instead.

I just think that you are making yourself miserable unnecessarily.  You booked a cruise because you wanted to take your family on a cruise.  That is still possible.

She is definitely out $600 because if she had a refundable deposit, she would have received a full refund when she cancelled. She would have only been out the “extra” money if she had paid for a refundable fare and had taken the cruise. But I agree that the cost for a refundable fare for all of them would have been in excess of $600. 

I do think she is making a irresponsible financial decision by cancelling and taking a $2000 loss. I am not sure why she is losing $2000 considering final payment date has not occurred yet. But not much of this story makes sense. 🙃. My thoughts...forfeit the son’s deposit, leave him at home and take your cruise. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, gooselover said:

It was going to cost me $600 more to change dates - Penalty of $100 each.  Due to their lack of concern or responsibility about all this, I elected to cancel.  Being in business for MYSELF, this is no way to act or to become "loyal to Royal" as you all say.   I am not going to give them any more money.  I am done with them.   BTW, we are Diamond on RCL.  Is this the way you would treat YOUR clients or customers?  It's not in my book.  And I am certainly not going to give them another $600 for their mistake.

Its unfortunate that this happened to you. It's just another example of why you always check any type of booking before you get off the phone. I note that you claim to be business savvy. When you have any contracts do you read them before you sign them? This whole scenario is such a great example of why you should always check a contract thoroughly and never assume. Hopefully you will rebook and I would suggest asking your son if the dates are ok. I understand you wanted it to be a surprise but speaking from prior experience, once children reach a certain age it's best to verify that dates are ok for trips. I hope you do the trip with your family at a better time and enjoy yourself. It's not worth getting so upset over to the point of losing all that money.

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

Its not fairly new. They always had refundable onky to a certain day out 

It has been the "standard" for well over a year - when I'm checking cruise prices on the internet - just keep going to about the end page before  payment.  You will have options for refundable, tips, etc.  Check on the boxes you want and the total cost comes up.

The deposit was $500 each for adults, the kids did not have deposits on them - $500 each for 4 people.  I was NOT on a cruise while I booked this.  It was last October I booked the cruise for a cruise on Allure this October 20th.   I got an email on Monday stating that it was time to pay the final deposit.  I tried to cancel in January this year - 2 months after I booked it, when I was told it was nonrefundable.  I had no clue.  Never was anything nonrefundable deposits when I booked with RCL before, but it had been 2-3 years since I had booked anything, so I never even thought they were doing nonrefundable. To change the dates, it would have cost me another $600 total (6 people).  Being in the business we are in, there could have been a huge chance that the NEW dates I picked we would not have been able to go, thus changing again and paying possibly another $600 in fees.  I have never had a nonrefundable deposit EVER with RCCL.  Again, with our business, which is unpredictible, is the reason why I would never do a nonrefundable.  However, the rep still should have told me it was.  I did a mock booking FIRST for price, then I like to call and speak to a rep.  Never anywhere in the mock booking did I see nonrefundable.  When speaking to the rep, never did he say nonrefundable.  So, I when I paid the deposit of $2000 and got the cruise documents, it all looked normal to me.  I wasn't concerned about anything nonrefundable because "mine was not".  Again, I didn't even KNOW that RCL did nonrefundable deposits EVER.  I know Carnival does with their Early Saver, but not RCL.  Yes, evidently RCL has started this procedure up, but since it has been 3 years at least, I had no clue and saw no evidence of it being nonrefundable.  I hope this clears up everyone's thoughts on this.  I've asked that RCL pull the recording...they said no.  And yes, I am aware that if you cancel BEFORE a certain date, your deposit is refundable, but AFTER a certain date, it is not.  Thus when I found out my son and his family could not go back in January 2019, two months after I booked this cruise, I immediately called to cancel it.

Edited by gooselover

2 minutes ago, gooselover said:

The deposit was $500 each for adults, the kids did not have deposits on them - $500 each for 4 people

You're correct, I looked back and saw that the $600 was the change fees.  My mistake.

Why was this 'poor customer service' on RCCL's part (as per the title of the thread)?  That's what I don't understand about this entire conversation.  Even if the rep failed to notify the OP that the deposit was nonrefundable, how does that translate to 'poor customer service"?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diver2014 said:

Why was this 'poor customer service' on RCCL's part (as per the title of the thread)?  That's what I don't understand about this entire conversation.  Even if the rep failed to notify the OP that the deposit was nonrefundable, how does that translate to 'poor customer service"?  

I think the OP should have been made to understand about the fare restrictions before completing the booking.

Whatever label is appropriate.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, gooselover said:

The deposit was $500 each for adults, the kids did not have deposits on them - $500 each for 4 people. 

How long was the cruise? A 7 night cruise is normally $250 pp. 

Is that some sort of new "deal"? No deposit for kids, but double for adults. 

Edited by dcgrumpy

4 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

While I do agree with the OP that the customer service rep was wrong with not stating they had a non refundable deposit, I also place blame on the OP.  If I had not booked with a company in 4 years I would be asking questions and know what I was handing over $2000 for.  In the world today businesses change their terms all the time and we as customers need to look out for ourselves.  Even if I didn't ask when on the phone I would be looking over my confirmation to ensure all was as I expected.  Whenever I call in for anything I ask for a confirmation email and don't hang up until I get it.  My opinion, blame needs to be shared between the CSR and the OP with the majority falling to the OP.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

In all fairness if that's what happened then it is poor customer service not to tell someone that it's a nonrefundable deposit when refundable is an option. Whether you take his word for it or not is up to you.

I recently experienced the exact same situation that the OP had. I have cruised with RCI over 20 times and did not know that this policy was in place since we had not cruised with RCI since 2013. 

I recently called RCI direct to book a cruise. The RCI rep did not state at any time that the price that I was quoted was for a NRD. Never! This should be disclosed before the booking is finalized. I would never book a cruise with a NRD. There’s a lot more to this story that required a phone call from Richard Fain’s office. My deposit was returned and I suggested that they either do away with this policy or do a better job in training their reps. Needless to say Celebrity ended up with the booking. 

26 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Maybe because good customer service would have informed the customer of the various available options. Might as well just book on line. Why bother talking to a rep if they are not going to be informative and just type in information that you give them.

Thank you cruisingator2 for replying.  You, like me, probably never thought in your wildest dreams that "things had changed".  Even when I did the mock, I never say anything about a NRD.  Never did I see ANYTHING when doing the mock, NRD price here or refundable price there.  NOTHING.  Everything looked the same to me!  I'd love to hear more of your story if you care to share.  You can email me at jksaltzman@msn.com.  Evidently you did something to get your deposit back?  Care to share?  One thing I want everyone to know is that we loved RCL.  We choose them again because of all they have to offer.  My complaint on poor customer service is that I should have been TOLD immediately this was a nonrefundable deposit.  When we sell our puppies, it is clearly stated this is a nonrefundable deposit....when I talk to a potential client, I make sure and state it again, this is a nonrefundable deposit!  I want my clients to make SURE they understand and that they are certain they want to place the deposit

They were really good at pointing this out when booking a couple years ago, but it's been that way for so long now I think they just assume people know. Other cruise lines are going the same path.

I think the problem is a lot of people were booking a bunch of cruises (even overlapping) with the intention of canceling before the final payment to get back their deposits. This worked great for the bookers, but for people who wanted rooms (and found the ones they wanted already taken) and for the cruise lines it's not as good.  People found it difficult to find a room and nearer the cruise all of a sudden a bunch of rooms became available.  It was tough for the cruise line, and cruisers, to plan.

So... I think they want you to only book cruises you intend taking and this is kind of putting your money where your mouth is... so to speak.

That said, it wouldn't hurt them to reiterate that an amount was non-refundable unless a change was made in the next 'n' days.

I bet they make a lot off people losing deposits. Even when someone has insurance and gets reimbursed, I think the cruise lines still get to keep the deposits as well.

Tom

17 minutes ago, gooselover said:

Thank you cruisingator2 for replying.  You, like me, probably never thought in your wildest dreams that "things had changed".  Even when I did the mock, I never say anything about a NRD.  Never did I see ANYTHING when doing the mock, NRD price here or refundable price there.  NOTHING.  Everything looked the same to me!  I'd love to hear more of your story if you care to share.  You can email me at jksaltzman@msn.com.  Evidently you did something to get your deposit back?  Care to share?  One thing I want everyone to know is that we loved RCL.  We choose them again because of all they have to offer.  My complaint on poor customer service is that I should have been TOLD immediately this was a nonrefundable deposit.  When we sell our puppies, it is clearly stated this is a nonrefundable deposit....when I talk to a potential client, I make sure and state it again, this is a nonrefundable deposit!  I want my clients to make SURE they understand and that they are certain they want to place the deposit

Why would you not dream of anything changing with Royal over 4+ years time. Surely with your own business your processes, practices, and/or rules have changed in the last 4 years. 

• Like 1

When doing a mock booking  this is what I see.  It is fairly small but it is there. commiserations to the OP.  It sucks.  Maybe, try booking a refundable with your FCC.  That will work better for your business and you don't have to waste 1400.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 4.58.34 PM.png

Edited by Tree_skier
spelling

just by thought did the CC used for the deposit have travel insurance with it

ours does and we had to cancel a trip a few years ago--and the CC I used has the travel insurance as one of the perks

so when I had to cancel we got every cent back from the trip

this perk is free with the card

sorry if someone else already mentioned it--I didn't read all the pages

good luck

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

When doing a mock booking  this is what I see.  It is fairly small but it is there. commiserations to the OP.  It sucks.  Maybe, try booking a refundable with your FCC.  That will work better for your business and you don't have to waste 1400.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 4.58.34 PM.png

IN OTHER NEWS, jump on that balcony!! Lower than outside and just a handful of change over interior! Woot woot!

• Like 1