Touchy subject.... appropriate dress?

MrsRoper

I tried to search this topic as I am sure it has been beaten to death but couldn’t find specific answers.  Hoping some veteran cruisers can help...

Sailing on Princess .... my husband and kids have never cruised.... 

Two teen boys - do they have to have a jacket for formal nights?  I am hoping for just dress pants and shirt and tie?

Also - my husband does not wear pants from May 2-4 to December so getting him out of shorts for the formal nights will be difficult - can he wear dress shorts and button up, collared shirt in the MDR or specialty restaurants on non-formal nights?  

And last - but most important - my husband never goes anywhere without a hat on his head.  He has high anxiety about it.  I know most formal places don’t want hats but if he wears a nice fedora or a Panama hat (on our Panama Cruise!) Would that be offensive or allowed?  I fear that I will not be eating anywhere but the buffet if the answer is no..... lol!

thanks for your help ... and please don’t argue 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrsRoper said:

I tried to search this topic as I am sure it has been beaten to death but couldn’t find specific answers.  Hoping some veteran cruisers can help...

Two teen boys - do they have to have a jacket for formal nights?  I am hoping for just dress pants and shirt and tie?

Also - my husband does not wear pants from May 2-4 to December so getting him out of shorts for the formal nights will be difficult - can he wear dress shorts and button up, collared shirt in the MDR or specialty restaurants on non-formal nights?  

And last - but most important - my husband never goes anywhere without a hat on his head.  He has high anxiety about it.  I know most formal places don’t want hats but if he wears a nice fedora or a Panama hat (on our Panama Cruise!) Would that be offensive or allowed?  I fear that I will not be eating anywhere but the buffet if the answer is no..... lol!

No  shorts in the dining room on formal nights

• Like 1

The boys will be fine in probably almost anything.  Certainly no tie.

Regarding your husband he may want to reconsider cruising.  Or understand that he won't be welcome in the MDR - shorts or hat.  That there are other venues where he can be casual/anti-dress code.

I personally wouldn’t let my kids or hubby wear what you describe, however, having just gotten off a cruise I cannot tell you what other people were wearing for dinner. Unless they were dressed to the 9’s, then I noticed and appreciated. The ones wearing shorts, sandals, flip flops, jeans, or hats didn’t affect me in any way, shape, or form.

I don't think he will be allowed into the MDR in shorts on any night, much less formal night.  Suggest he inest in a pair of pants with zip-off lower legs, so he can be back in his shorts as soon as he leaves the MDR.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shorts are not permitted in the MDR on any night. Nor are hats. Either your DH can man up, or he can choose to eat in the buffet at dinner. Putting on a pair of pants and taking off his hat for a couple of hours isn't going to kill him.

Princess has a published dress code on its website. If the dress requirements are too onerous,  perhaps your family would be more comfortable on a more casual line like Carnival.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Think of the main dining room as that ridiculously expensive restaurant near where you live that you and your husband would absolutely never go to because of the price and dress code requirements.  And absolutely no way would you take the kids because of the price and the dress code requirements. Then imagine something more consistent with your tastes like the Italian place with the awesome salad bar.  Or the country diner with that huge chicken fried steak.  Oh, and both have a yummy dessert bar.  Something like the buffet.   Hats and shorts welcome.  

• Like 1

See what Princess’ “dress code” says,  and then decide if you want to go along with it.

The simple fact is that cruise ship dining rooms do not have bouncers, so a lot of people wear what they want, justifying themselves by saying if they are not prevented from entering the dining room it is okay to wear what they want.

• Like 1

On Princess shorts are not permitted in the MDR, however I have seen numerous exceptions. Personally, I also prefer shorts, but when going to the MDR for lunch I would head to the cabin and change to long trousers. Might not get challenged at lunch, but I have seen pax in shorts being challenged at dinner.

Boys without jackets on formal nights - shouldn't be an issue, as they won't be the only ones.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mom says said:

Shorts are not permitted in the MDR on any night. Nor are hats. Either your DH can man up, or he can choose to eat in the buffet at dinner. Putting on a pair of pants and taking off his hat for a couple of hours isn't going to kill him.

Princess has a published dress code on its website. If the dress requirements are too onerous,  perhaps your family would be more comfortable on a more casual line like Carnival.

IMO, OP is missing a tremendous opportunity to introduce impressionable teenagers (and correct a seemingly out-of-touch spouse) to the concept of decorum.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MrsRoper said:

Just my opinion and I do not know what will actually happen but as far as I am concerned, you and your children are welcome in the MDR at any time.  Your husband should eat in the buffet because shorts on formal night and a hat at all times is never appropriate.  If he is that unwilling to compromise, let him eat elsewhere and you enjoy your dinner in the MDR with your appropriately dressed kids.  That said, I have seen lots of what I consider more inappropriately dressed people in the dining rooms on ships so you may get away with it.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Just forget the formal night dining, eat in the buffet.  If he won't wear long pants the ONLY option is the buffet.  Perhaps the OP should have considered Norwegian Cruise Line where shorts are allowed in every dining venue except for the French upcharge restaurant, Ocean Blue and the aft dining room.  Plenty of other options for sit down dinners on NCL.

• Like 2

Generally children do not need to comply as strictly to dress codes as adults are supposed to, so jackets could be avoided.  Husband needs long trousers for the MDR.  If he insists on the hat, the only way round this is wearing a kippah or yarmulke.  People may infer he is Jewish but the alternative is no hat. Can he deal with it psychologically?   I think a Sikh turban would be going too far.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Just my opinion and I do not know what will actually happen but as far as I am concerned, you and your children are welcome in the MDR at any time.  Your husband should eat in the buffet because shorts on formal night and a hat at all times is never appropriate.  If he is that unwilling to compromise, let him eat elsewhere and you enjoy your dinner in the MDR with your appropriately dressed kids.

I'm going to agree with Don on this, and I am NOT one who is picky about dressing up for dinner.  Nobody has to wear a jacket to dinner, even on formal night, unless you're on one of the super stuffy expensive lines, so your boys will be fine in long pants and a button-up shirt.  

But your husband is another matter. My son knew, at the age of three years old, that it is impolite to wear a hat indoors, and especially at the table.  

Let hubby wear his shorts and ball cap at the buffet, while you introduce your sons to polite society in the main dining room.  You are going to spend all day and all evening with the hubster, he's can survive eating dinner in the buffet without you for one meal a day.

If his hat-wearing anxiety is a result of male pattern baldness, maybe recommend a toupee to cover it or just buzzing his hair short like all the sexy Hollywood celebrities do.  Or he can talk to his doctor about a prescription for Xanax to manage his anxiety long enough for him to get through a meal with his family.  

His choice to wear a hat shouldn't mean that you and your boys don't get to experience one of the best parts of cruising.

• Like 1

hats NEVER belong  in a dining venue.   of any sort.   in fact they do not belong indoors at all.  this includes 'nicer' ones like fedoras or panama style.  

shorts are only appropriate at dinner  if you are dining in Bermuda.  and even then the type of short matters.  golf shorts are too casual.   basketball shorts are right out.  

the kids will be fine in dress shirts and ties and  a pair of Khakis or Dockers.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

But your husband is another matter.

I agree with every single thing you wrote.  Has the OP returned to comment?  I wonder if she/he/they knew about this before.  .......  Oh, just looked and I see she has cruised before.

Thank you all for you candid responses!  I have already told DH about the hat stuff and he is reconciled - I just wanted to hear some thoughts and I heard them loud and clear lol!

As for the shorts - he’ll pant-up if he needs.  I just want everyone to be as comfortable as possible.... including the other passengers.  

I absolutely agree that this will be an amazing experience for my boys to see how things are done in a “proper” setting.  Growing up I was lucky to have fancy restaurants and theatre and cruises on occasion and it was invaluable and created special memories - which is what cruising is all about!  We’ll all have a wonderful time - and dress the part!

Thanks again for your input.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MrsRoper said:

Thank you all for you candid responses!  I have already told DH about the hat stuff and he is reconciled - I just wanted to hear some thoughts and I heard them loud and clear lol!

As for the shorts - he’ll pant-up if he needs.  I just want everyone to be as comfortable as possible.... including the other passengers.  

I absolutely agree that this will be an amazing experience for my boys to see how things are done in a “proper” setting.  Growing up I was lucky to have fancy restaurants and theatre and cruises on occasion and it was invaluable and created special memories - which is what cruising is all about!  We’ll all have a wonderful time - and dress the part!

Thanks again for your input.

hey we're here  for you  👍

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 5:09 PM, MrsRoper said:

I think you DH sounds like mine, i tell him things and he wont listen or believe me so i get other peoples opinions and ideas and show him and then he agrees i was right in the first place! Hope you have a super cruise. 

• Like 1

I love hats too!

And, while I'm younger than most here, and thus adhere to a more modern relaxed approach to hats inside,  a fine dining establishment is absolutely not the place for them.

I'm glad to hear your husband has conceded :) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Icon901 said:

I love hats too!

And, while I'm younger than most here, and thus adhere to a more modern relaxed approach to hats inside,  a fine dining establishment is absolutely not the place for them.

I'm glad to hear your husband has conceded 🙂

I agree that wearing hats is not generally acceptable in “a fine dining establishment”,  but do cruise lines’ MDRs qualify any more?    The cost cutting, which has attracted many who have brought the “more modern relaxed approach” to cruising, has pretty well erased that “fine” bit of the dining experience.