Muster for Retired to Cruise Ship

naxer

I have read articles and seen some Q&A about people who retire and live on cruise ships.  My question is whether or not they have to do the muster drill every week?  Has anybody heard the answer?

20 minutes ago, naxer said:

I have read articles and seen some Q&A about people who retire and live on cruise ships.  My question is whether or not they have to do the muster drill every week?  Has anybody heard the answer?

I suppose there might be an informal understanding that someone in residence would be automatically checked off, but there are so very few that it would hardly make sense to formalise it.   It would open the door to suggestions that people who have simply cruised many times, or many times on a particular ship, should also be exempted.

• Like 2

No specific experience or knowledge, but I suspect it is up to the individual cruise lines AND the requirement of the captain in charge.  He/she has ultimate responsibility for the souls aboard, and if he/she wants to require every passenger to attend every muster, then I would imagine they have the authority to compel.

Honestly, I never understood the desire of passengers to skip this safety drill no matter how many consecutive cruises they are on.  It's 20 minutes out of your day...everything is closed during that time, and the entire crew is focused on the drill.  It's not an inconvenience...it's a necessity.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Since it's a law, I would say that everyone needs to do it every week.

If not there wouldn't be a need for anyone doing a B2B to attend the muster drill on the second leg.

I think the law is one muster drill for every 30 days. Several cruise lines don't require a muster for B2B cruisers.

• Like 3

It's up to the cruise line's policies as long as you've mustered within the time frame mandated by regulations. We've been on b2b's where we didn't have to attend muster and we've been on b2b's where we did. I don't think it's 30 days as stated in the previous post because on one recent b2b2b we exceeded 30 days without having to attend muster again.

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

I think the law is one muster drill for every 30 days. Several cruise lines don't require a muster for B2B cruisers.

or every 14 days

we have had 2  on an 18 day cruise

People on world cruises seem to go to all Muster drills 

2 hours ago, msmayor said:

No specific experience or knowledge, but I suspect it is up to the individual cruise lines AND the requirement of the captain in charge.  He/she has ultimate responsibility for the souls aboard, and if he/she wants to require every passenger to attend every muster, then I would imagine they have the authority to compel.

Honestly, I never understood the desire of passengers to skip this safety drill no matter how many consecutive cruises they are on.  It's 20 minutes out of your day...everything is closed during that time, and the entire crew is focused on the drill.  It's not an inconvenience...it's a necessity.

ya I'm always curious to see whom I might be sharing a tender with

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

or every 14 days

we have had 2  on an 18 day cruise

People on world cruises seem to go to all Muster drills 

That was also my experience on Oceania, which is undoubtedly the cruise line you're referring to, on their longer cruises. But it's not a SOLAS requirement, it's just how Oceania does it. NCL, part of the same corporate family, does not require additional muster drills when a cruise exceeds 14 days.

3 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

Since it's a law, I would say that everyone needs to do it every week.

If not there wouldn't be a need for anyone doing a B2B to attend the muster drill on the second leg.

Not true. On a segmented 21 day Med cruise we were only required to attend the muster after our boarding and not the ones when other passengers boarded in subsequent ports.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

But it's not a SOLAS requirement, it's just how Oceania does it. NCL, part of the same corporate family, does not require additional muster drills when a cruise exceeds 14 days.

MSC 92 adopted amendments to SOLAS Chapter III Regulation 19. Muster drills must be held before departure and all crew must attend subsequent drills monthly & passengers are strongly suggested to attend. The amendments came into effect Jan 1st 2015.

On our 2015 World Cruise we had monthly musters in conjunction with a crew drill.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

MSC 92 adopted amendments to SOLAS Chapter III Regulation 19. Muster drills must be held before departure and all crew must attend subsequent drills monthly & passengers are strongly suggested to attend. The amendments came into effect Jan 1st 2015.

On our 2015 World Cruise we had monthly musters in conjunction with a crew drill.

Right...I understand that. In that post I was referring to Oceania's practice of requiring passengers to attend the drills every 14 days...definitely the cruise line's requirement and not a SOLAS requirement.

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Right...I understand that. In that post I was referring to Oceania's practice of requiring passengers to attend the drills every 14 days...definitely the cruise line's requirement and not a SOLAS requirement.

Sorry, missed the 14 days. Affirmative, no SOLAS requirement and most likely no Flag State requirement either for ev 14 days.

5 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Sorry, missed the 14 days. Affirmative, no SOLAS requirement and most likely no Flag State requirement either for ev 14 days.

Yes...seems unlikely the Marshall Islands is going to impose more stringent safety requirements than SOLAS.  I read that they now have the world's  second highest tonnage total registered there. They surpassed Liberia and are second only to Panama.

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It's up to the cruise line's policies as long as you've mustered within the time frame mandated by regulations. We've been on b2b's where we didn't have to attend muster and we've been on b2b's where we did. I don't think it's 30 days as stated in the previous post because on one recent b2b2b we exceeded 30 days without having to attend muster again.

I am disabled and I am allowed to sit inside the ship and not be outside for the drills.

Super Mario stays on the ship for up to 8 months with a occasional 1 week off the ship.

He has some pretty interesting videos shot on the Royal Caribbean ships he lives on.

Super Mario who cruises with Royal Caribbean for more than 20 years.

In his videos he said that he must attend the muster drill every cruise.