No More Flying

mcrcruiser

18 minutes ago, Roz said:

...my love of cruising and travel in general outweighs any inconvenience associated with flying.

Roz

Sums up exactly my feelings. If I stopped flying, so much anticipation and enjoyment would leave my life.

I always feel a few hours (short, though they may seem long) of mild discomfort are worth the MANY hours of pleasure once I get to my destination(s).

• Like 1

We are lucky to live here in San Diego and just take our local coaster train which is about 20 minutes from our home in Leucadia to the port! We still travel by plane but do a lot of cruises from here! Will be on Rotterdam doing Panama Canal from here and cross over doing TA to Europe. Will take plane home. So many cruises with HAL and O.

Denise😊

51 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

I'd love to go back to Australia and visit New Zealand but the flight cancels out any thought of that. Sheer torture!

I detest flying with a passion, and always said I would never get to Australia and NZ because of that.  Then I heard what some here have suggested, that is to fly to Honolulu, spend a night or two, and then fly on to Sydney from there.  Still fairly long flights, but not nearly the 18-24 hours at one stretch it would be.  So that is what we'll be doing next spring -- and the cruise is Sydney-Vancouver, so only a 2-hour drive home.

To answer the OP though, we don't have 80+ cruises, only working on 25 -- so I'm not ready to limit our cruises to those from the west coast.  There just isn't enough variety, and I love European cruises too much.  So for me flying is a necessary evil. 

10 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm old enough to remember when flying was an upscale experience.  No more.

Roz

Myself too.  People would dress up.  I always wore a suit.

For forty-five years, I flew in coach with a rare complementary upgrade.  Maybe 15-20 times a year.

Now, I only fly once or twice a year now and I've saved enough that I can fly business or first.  

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hate flying. I'm not afraid of flying, and it isn't just the flying.  I  hate the airport hassles--the lines and taking off my shoes and taking half of my possessions out of my carry-on bag. And it's uncomfortable to be stuck in one of those tiny no-leg-room seats. If I have to fly because it's a long distance, I book Premium Economy, which helps somewhat with the cramped seating. For Europe, I try to plan a trip to match QM2's schedule so that I can sail at least one way.

My first thought when booking a cruise, or any travel in the US is can I take the train? If a cruise leaves from Boston, it's easy to take the train from NYC. Easier than dealing with Newark Liberty and Logan. For my winter cruise out of FLL, I take the train. It's only one night, and I do get a roomette or a bedroom.  So far I haven't done more than one night in a train. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

We are lucky to live here in San Diego and just take our local coaster train which is about 20 minutes from our home in Leucadia to the port! We still travel by plane but do a lot of cruises from here! Will be on Rotterdam doing Panama Canal from here and cross over doing TA to Europe. Will take plane home. So many cruises with HAL and O.

Denise😊

The  Train....  took the train from LA to Vancouver...  fun  and return.    Took the train to New Orleans from LA....   and Hey  AOC is telling us she wants to have trains running to Europe and Hawaii.. in a few years...   !!!!

Take a lot of pacific cruises  RT to the west coast and one way's either from or to the usa         Flying is not that big a problem  if you plan in advance, build up a bank of FF miles and have some status with an airline.     

Seriously I never book through a cruise line or 3 rd party, and am able to pick  great flights and  seats....    Using FF miles flying LA to Japan or Australia  for under $20.  each eay in Business class.   You just use your credit card and in several years you will have tons than do not expire. 

The new seats are now beds... more comfortable than First class was 20 years ago.     Business class has added benefits.... special TSA check, Special baggage service,  airport lounges with open bars and buffets...  even bathrooms with showers.  I fly 2 times a year  over seas, mostly for 1 way cruises and it is actually very enjoyable   even on a 15 hour to Sydney from LA !

DSC00369-1.jpg

Hi Dan!!

we still fly and with more than enough FF points with my husbands job  that we do Buisness Class. Nice pics!!

We enjoy Air New Zealand and United  as well as British Air.  Yes we know from your past remarks about United going up in FF points. 

See you On Oceania soon!

Denise😊

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I hate flying. I'm not afraid of flying, and it isn't just the flying.  I  hate the airport hassles--the lines and taking off my shoes and taking half of my possessions out of my carry-on bag. And it's uncomfortable to be stuck in one of those tiny no-leg-room seats. If I have to fly because it's a long distance, I book Premium Economy, which helps somewhat with the cramped seating. For Europe, I try to plan a trip to match QM2's schedule so that I can sail at least one way.

My first thought when booking a cruise, or any travel in the US is can I take the train? If a cruise leaves from Boston, it's easy to take the train from NYC. Easier than dealing with Newark Liberty and Logan. For my winter cruise out of FLL, I take the train. It's only one night, and I do get a roomette or a bedroom.  So far I haven't done more than one night in a train. 

As a kid we traveled quite a bit by train in the US and England.  As an adult I got all over Europe by train.  Loved it.  So I look just now for a train from San Antonio to Fort Lauderdale.  Can be done but takes 3 1/2 days and costs $1,000 one way for one person, $1250 for two people one way so $2,500 round trip and basically seven days.  We can fly coach to Fort Lauderdale for $952 for two or $2,200 for two in first class and be there in five hours and that is the round trip cost.  Obviously, though it might be fun, the train is not a good choice for us.

• Thanks 1

Well, we are in the middle of “no man’s land” in New Brunswick and need to get to Montreal, Toronto or Halifax to get anywhere so there are always connections.  I’ve come to believe in comfort so when it’s worthwhile, (transatlantic flights or Air Canada Rough) we do business whenever we can.  Makes a big difference in the enjoyment of the flight.  I always check flight ease (if applicable), airlines directly and my FF miles to see which makes the most sense.

If we want to travel anywhere or cruise we have no choice but to fly.

We happily take the train when we are heading to Ontario to visit family/friends and time is not a factor but it just doesn’t work to get to Fort Lauderdale, San Diego, Vancouver or Europe and actually, train travel with a sleeper car is usually more expensive than flying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Hi Dan!!

we still fly and with more than enough FF points with my husbands job  that we do Buisness Class. Nice pics!!

We enjoy Air New Zealand and United  as well as British Air.  Yes we know from your past remarks about United going up in FF points. 

See you On Oceania soon!

Denise😊

are you aware of the Dec 7 and 14 Oceaina cruise out of San Pedro to SF?    

3 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Denise😊

Denise we are in Encinitas . We either drive & park  the car across from the San Diego cruise terminal or have a uber driver to & from the port . For San Pedro ,we drive up the night before & stay at the  San Pedro Double Tree hotel by hilton .We book that with 30000 hilton honor points  .They shuttle you over (when checking in place your names on the shuttle list) .The hotel is just 2 miles from the pier . you park free  

In April 2020 we are sailing on Royal Princess built in 2013 .first a 7 night Mexican Riviera  followed by a B2B  coastal California cruise .Our cruise dates are   April 18 & April 25th  .It will be our first time on this ship which  has high ratings  

Nov 2020 we booked the 18 night Hawaii R/T San Diego cruise on Koningsdam  .what is nice about this cruise are the 2  days in the Honolulu port &  the 2 days in The Lahania Maui port 

I personally have done so much flying before retiring & when I retired we flew twice a year  for cruises . We have done Europe twice ,Australia , River cruising ie I am now 80 & figured it is a good time to stop due to the various hassles of flying today 

Cliff

15 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We  live  35 minutes to the San diego port & 1 .5 hours to the San Pedro port . After many years of flying east to take Trans Atlantic ,Panama  Canal  & Many Caribbean cruises ,we decided to not fly any longer  .Not only the cost savings of flights but the hassles in airports are eliminated

How many of you are doing the same as us , by driving to the ports or getting some one to drive you there ?

I live about 50 miles from the Vancouver (BC) cruise terminal and about 100 miles from either of the two Seattle cruise terminals, so I look for cruises that embark from there as much as possible.  I can take Amtrak -- the train stations are in the middle of town in both cases -- and then taxi (or Uber in Seattle) to the terminal.  Saves me a lot of aggravation and stress, for sure.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

Well, we are in the middle of “no man’s land” in New Brunswick and need to get to Montreal, Toronto or Halifax to get anywhere so there are always connections.  I’ve come to believe in comfort so when it’s worthwhile, (transatlantic flights or Air Canada Rough) we do business whenever we can.  Makes a big difference in the enjoyment of the flight.  I always check flight ease (if applicable), airlines directly and my FF miles to see which makes the most sense.

If we want to travel anywhere or cruise we have no choice but to fly.

We happily take the train when we are heading to Ontario to visit family/friends and time is not a factor but it just doesn’t work to get to Fort Lauderdale, San Diego, Vancouver or Europe and actually, train travel with a sleeper car is usually more expensive than flying.

Yes you & others are stuck because of where you live & must fly  . We have only lived in NYC & here in Southern Califormia . We have now been in Encinitas north coastal San diego county for 20 years , We came here when  I turned 60 & that was 20 years ago  . 

We had to make the decision not to fly  because  of the delays ,baggage problems & over crowded airports  ,along with escalating prices .Now we take what we save & spend more on the ship  in a relaxed environment👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

I live about 50 miles from the Vancouver (BC) cruise terminal and about 100 miles from either of the two Seattle cruise terminals, so I look for cruises that embark from there as much as possible.  I can take Amtrak -- the train stations are in the middle of town in both cases -- and then taxi (or Uber in Seattle) to the terminal.  Saves me a lot of aggravation and stress, for sure.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Lana you also have a variety of cruises to take  from either Vancouver or Seattle .Good for you  .We love Vancouver & Vancouver island & have been there 5  times .Stayed in both cities many days & we have done 5 Alaska cruises .We then do our own Alaska  interiors with rental cars  . 

We can now do a round trip Alaska 14 night cruise on Princess from San Pedro California ;which eliminates the flying :classic_biggrin:

Cliff

1 hour ago, Randyk47 said:

As a kid we traveled quite a bit by train in the US and England.  As an adult I got all over Europe by train.  Loved it.  So I look just now for a train from San Antonio to Fort Lauderdale.  Can be done but takes 3 1/2 days and costs $1,000 one way for one person, $1250 for two people one way so $2,500 round trip and basically seven days.  We can fly coach to Fort Lauderdale for $952 for two or $2,200 for two in first class and be there in five hours and that is the round trip cost.  Obviously, though it might be fun, the train is not a good choice for us.

I've checked several times on a train to Fort Lauderdale.  Only available routing is through DC.  Just doesn't work.  

4 hours ago, Roz said:

That's what's keeping me from visiting those 2 countries.  I can't imagine sitting in a seat the size of a tuna can for 24 hours. 😱

Roz

Sydney to DFW is about 16 hours. Another 1.5 to BNA. I'll take Qantas any day. 

LAX to NZ is about 12 hours.

Some us in Nashville stay overnight in LA or Honolulu to break up the flights.

Still not desirable, but better. At least it makes flying to Europe seem like a piece of cake.

Third coast, north or south?

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I've checked several times on a train to Fort Lauderdale.  Only available routing is through DC.  Just doesn't work.  

From San Antonio they want to take you to Chicago, then Chicago to DC, then DC to Fort Lauderdale.   There appears to be some missing link (no service) east of Atlanta but I didn’t spend the time to see exactly why you’re forced north to get south.   I also didn’t factor in the food costs on board the train but in our case 3 1/2 days each way would be several meals not to mention train food quality.  

24 minutes ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Lana in Bellingham, WA

I love that train ride!

1 hour ago, Randyk47 said:

Yeah, Amtrak isn't cheap if you want sleeping accommodations. But I'm a train geek, so for me it's worth it. And I'm near NYC, so there are lots of train possibilities for me. 

1 minute ago, Randyk47 said:

From San Antonio they want to take you to Chicago, then Chicago to DC, then DC to Fort Lauderdale.   There appears to be some missing link (no service) east of Atlanta but I didn’t spend the time to see exactly why you’re forced north to get south.   I also didn’t factor in the food costs on board the train but in our case 3 1/2 days each way would be several meals not to mention train food quality.  

If you get sleeping accommodations, food is included on most trains. Amtrak is trying to go cheap on a few trains, but when they have a proper diner with food cooked right there, it's great. 

You're definitely limited by where the tracks go. There was a route along the Gulf, but it was wiped out by Hurricane Katrina. From what I understand, the tracks are back, and freight is running, but Amtrak didn't return their trains to that route.

14 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Sydney to DFW is about 16 hours. Another 1.5 to BNA. I'll take Qantas any day. 

LAX to NZ is about 12 hours.

Some us in Nashville stay overnight in LA or Honolulu to break up the flights.

Still not desirable, but better. At least it makes flying to Europe seem like a piece of cake.

Third coast, north or south?

A friend of mine in Johnson City spent a few days in Hawaii before going on to Australia.  Right now I don't have the time off from work, but could do it when I retire.  I live in south Nashville, near Green Hills.

Roz

5 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

For a while there was a train from LA to Orlando via San Antonio but that link was lost in Katrina and never restored.  New York, Boston, LA, or even Vancouver would probably be somewhat easier but Florida is just about impossible.

Roy

33 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Denise we are in Encinitas . We either drive & park  the car across from the San Diego cruise terminal or have a uber driver to & from the port . For San Pedro ,we drive up the night before & stay at the  San Pedro Double Tree hotel by hilton .We book that with 30000 hilton honor points  .They shuttle you over (when checking in place your names on the shuttle list) .The hotel is just 2 miles from the pier . you park free  

In April 2020 we are sailing on Royal Princess built in 2013 .first a 7 night Mexican Riviera  followed by a B2B  coastal California cruise .Our cruise dates are   April 18 & April 25th  .It will be our first time on this ship which  has high ratings  

Nov 2020 we booked the 18 night Hawaii R/T San Diego cruise on Koningsdam  .what is nice about this cruise are the 2  days in the Honolulu port &  the 2 days in The Lahania Maui port 

I personally have done so much flying before retiring & when I retired we flew twice a year  for cruises . We have done Europe twice ,Australia , River cruising ie I am now 80 & figured it is a good time to stop due to the various hassles of flying today 

Cliff

Hi Cliff! 

We do the same thing! Go up the day before we will stay at Doubletree or Hampton Inns have dinner out and off to the cruise terminal!! That is what we’re doing March 2020 as we go to Panama Canal! Get off in FLL going to Hilton and then taking a shuttle to Miami spending the night at Hilton and boarding on Oceania Riviera to do a TA to Med for 2 cruises. Will be on The Koningsdam January 2021 doing Hawaii and Mexico!

Denise😊

34 minutes ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Lana in Bellingham, WA

It's a shame Bellingham doesn't have a cruise dock.  I've sailed to Alaska from Bellingham but not on a cruise ship.  (Baltimore-Chicago-Seattle-Bellingham on Amtrak).