Do you bring any creature comforts?

calicakes

14 hours ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

I'm surprised no one has said that the toilet paper on board is made that way not to plug up the system and the comfy stuff is what causes the overload and the smell.

On a different cruise line thread, chengpk thoroughly debunked this common bit of folklore or sailing myth.  He claimed it is perfectly safe to use household tp on ships, and gave some statistics about rate of dissolubility to back up his claim.

While reading this over and over again on CC, I too had believed regular TP was dangerous until the chief engineer unloaded on this falsehood.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Thank your DH for his considerate approach to enjoying his music. An earlier poster's statement that her DH would sit on the balcony "listening to his type of music (hard rock)" made me cringe.  

I take a very small speaker that I sometimes use on the balcony but I keep the volume so low that if I get up from my chair I can no longer hear it.  Once DW was sitting next to me and asked why I wasn't listening to any music.  Mission accomplished. However, if the people on either side of us are talking I usually can't hear the speaker any longer so have to resort to earbuds or go inside.

This and my Kindle (or a book) are about the only creature comforts I need, and they go with me on any trip, even if it's just an over-nighter.  

Edited by Sir William

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

👍

I agree. First thought when I read that someone likes to listen to hard rock music on their balcony with a speaker. Because "they don't like headphones"?.... wow, that's rude. Subjecting everyone else nearby to your personal music because you can't be bothered to find a pair of headphones you find tolerable.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

I contributed earlier and have been reading along - it's interesting because I think some people may be confusing "creature comforts" (which OP mentioned) and "necessities for them" which they bring from home. For instance, I do bring Lysol wipes but I wouldn't call them a creature comfort. I bring my own Tylenol - same thing. The things I mentioned, and what I gleaned from OP, are comfort items from home that make the trip more enjoyable, I suppose.... items that make one feel more secure, snuggly, less anxious, restful, relaxed. 

Semantics? Maybe. 😉 But I do see a difference.

Exactly.  My creature comforts are my pillow/blanket my sugar free coffee syrup and the maple syrup.  My own toiletries, sheet masks, magnetic hooks, laundry detergent, etc are items I considered necessary for cruise travel( or most any travel)

• Like 1

Re: Toilet paper.  How is that any different that people who use "flushable wipes"?  Its not like I'm in the room 24/7.  I don't cart the TP around with me when I'm not in the room either.  

We're cruising next month, I'll be sure to ask if its "approved". 

So, I'd like to know if anyone here has smuggled on liquor in those bottles they sell on Amazon.  They are faux bottles of sunscreen, shampoo/conditioner.  They even come with little seals to make it look like its a brand new product.  Ingenious.  

We always get a drink package when we book.  Which is funny, cause we don't drink alcohol.  I take it for the specialty waters/coffee.  

I imagine it would be more of a "thing" on Carnival.( the smuggling of the booze). 

10 hours ago, evandbob said:

A dog show hanger - is that where the lil pooch sleeps at night?  Spell checker gotcha I guess.

Hahahahahahaaaaaa, I really should proof, right?  Tho I do blame it on spell check or auto fill.  Thanks for the laughs!

11 hours ago, calicakes said:

Re: Toilet paper.  How is that any different that people who use "flushable wipes"? 

Our local news recently had a segment that said the so-called "flushable wipes" are absolutely not biodegradable. They do not fully break down. We are supposed to throw all wipes in the garbage.

9 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Our local news recently had a segment that said the so-called "flushable wipes" are absolutely not biodegradable. They do not fully break down. We are supposed to throw all wipes in the garbage.

An employee of mine was using flushable wipes and it cost me $4000 to unblock the line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flushable wipes may or may not be biodegradable, most aren't.  TP products generally are.  These products are actually rated by the way they tear down (or not) when introduced into a ship's or residential toilet system.

Again chengpk, resident engineer on CC, broke down the science of what's flushable and what is not.  I'm sorry I can't locate that thread using the search engine.

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Flushable wipes may or may not be biodegradable, most aren't.  TP products generally are.  These products are actually rated by the way they tear down (or not) when introduced into a ship's or residential toilet system.

Again chengpk, resident engineer on CC, broke down the science of what's flushable and what is not.  I'm sorry I can't locate that thread using the search engine.

This is probably the post you are thinking of:

37 minutes ago, Orator said:

I bring my DW. As all humans, she is a "Creature" and she gives me much comfort. Since I bring her there is little or no space for non human creature comforts.

Actually "creatures" exclude "humans", but I still bring her and that precludes bringing anything else.

Oh my goodness, I am just too old to take a lot of ‘stuff’ on a cruise.  My daughter and I take a trip together every two years. We each take one small carry on suitcase and I bring my old loved Jansport zippered tote.

I use packing bags for my clothes and a small one for medication.  The bags are awesome. Keeps everything neat and secure and take up less room. Then just put them with the clothes in a drawer. We take color coordinated clothing so everything matches. The meds go in the tote along with passport and book/iPad  and cell phone and umbrella. Also pack two pairs of shoes combs/brush and small hand mirror and lipstick/lip balm. That’s it. 

When my husband and I spent a week in London we packed the same.  The exception was we layered jackets on the plane. Took one off while on the plane. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elliern said:

Oh my goodness, I am just too old to take a lot of ‘stuff’ on a cruise.  My daughter and I take a trip together every two years. We each take one small carry on suitcase and I bring my old loved Jansport zippered tote.

I use packing bags for my clothes and a small one for medication.  The bags are awesome. Keeps everything neat and secure and take up less room. Then just put them with the clothes in a drawer. We take color coordinated clothing so everything matches. The meds go in the tote along with passport and book/iPad  and cell phone and umbrella. Also pack two pairs of shoes combs/brush and small hand mirror and lipstick/lip balm. That’s it. 

When my husband and I spent a week in London we packed the same.  The exception was we layered jackets on the plane. Took one off while on the plane. 

I envy people who don't need a lot of "stuff".  I'll never be one of those people.  

When we move from CA to FL in 4 years, we plan on getting rid of the majority of stuff so as not to pay thousands and thousands to ship our belongings cross country.  However, when I travel, I like my creature comforts.  We do use packing cubes.  I love them. 

Edited by calicakes
add more info.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:28 PM, finny2 said:

If I could figure out a way to pack my book reading pillow for air travel I would bring it. Stacking regular pillows is just not the same.

You know when I read this I thought how much I would love to have a better book pillow on an airplane.  I did some Googling and found the "Book Seat" which is a combination book holder/travel pillow.  Looks like it might be a winner.  

On 8/15/2019 at 8:57 PM, calicakes said:

What do you bring? 

On our Transatlantic last November i brought my own tea and hot chocolate and hubs and I watched movies with hot drinks in the afternoon.  Snacked on cookies we took from Ocean View Cafe.  Very cosy time during a chilly north Atlantic crossing.  We also bring our own refillable water bottles. They like you to use the blue glasses in the cafe to fill them up but it's so nice to have a drink of cold water on hand no matter where we go.  And saves on all those single use plastics.

1 hour ago, jamacka said:

Oh... also thanks to the great advice of some smart people here, I bring a pile of magnetic hooks and a clothesline and hang my laundry from the ceiling to dry over night

You can attach those hooks and lines to the shower wall and all the dripping will be confined to the shower and not clutter up the cabin.  Things dry pretty well in there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamacka said:

On our Transatlantic last November i brought my own tea and hot chocolate and hubs and I watched movies with hot drinks in the afternoon.  Snacked on cookies we took from Ocean View Cafe.  Very cosy time during a chilly north Atlantic crossing.  

Oh, this sounds lovely!

39 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

You can attach those hooks and lines to the shower wall and all the dripping will be confined to the shower and not clutter up the cabin.  Things dry pretty well in there. 

We always hang clothes on the balcony.