Is HAL retiring the Veendam?

tpwolfe

We have a transatlantic booked on the Veendam for October 2020.  It was for 17 days and now it is 14 days and they cut 3 ports out of the itinerary.  Instead of ending in Ft. Lauderdale it now ends in Tampa.  I checked the cruises after the transatlantic and there are no other cruises being offered on the Veendam.  So I was wondering is the Veendam the next ship being retired?

It doesn't sound it from what you have posted. It does sound like HAL will be home porting a ship in Tampa again, and that is good news indeed! 

To answer the point of your question, though, the Veendam has been up for sail for years now. I'm sure that if HAL got an acceptable offer they would accept. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Which cruise are you on? We’re on one of her transatlantic about then and would love it if it ends in Tampa since we’re visiting friends in Sarasota right after it! Haven’t heard from our TA yet about this. ( our cruise leaves Venice Oct. 6 ends FLL November 6)

Edited by janmcn

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

To answer the point of your question, though, the Veendam has been up for sail for years now.

And doing a fine job too... I hear it's also up for sale as well!!

(sorry I couldn't resist!)

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, janmcn said:

Which cruise are you on? We’re on one of her transatlantic about then and would love it if it ends in Tampa since we’re visiting friends in Sarasota right after it! Haven’t heard from our TA yet about this. ( our cruise leaves Venice Oct. 6 ends FLL November 6)

Sounds like you are on the Veendam collector cruise.  On the second half of the cruise (transatlantic). They removed 3 ports 

Toulon, Barcelona, and Cadiz.  They also made the stay at Funchal one day leaving at 4:00pm.  The transatlantic is now 14 days instead of 17 and will now arrive in Tampa November 3, 2020 instead of Ft. Lauderdale on November 6, 2020.  My new statement from my TA the cruise price went down $900.00 and they added ship credit and a dinner for 2 at the pinnacle grill.  We already had prepaid  gratuities and it remained.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

It doesn't sound it from what you have posted. It does sound like HAL will be home porting a ship in Tampa again, and that is good news indeed! 

To answer the point of your question, though, the Veendam has been up for sail for years now. I'm sure that if HAL got an acceptable offer they would accept. 

Ruth has it just right, IMO

I think  she is Very much for sale and has been for some time.

image.png.9884e1dbb67e224f9e5597fbb0372ee5.png

Edited by sail7seas

While she is an older ship and will never have some of the newest tech and gadgets, it did sound (from recent reports) that many of the problems reported in the past few years have been remedied in the latest refurb.

Tampa home port is exciting! We loved the size and charm of her sister Maasdam and would happily cruise on Veendam should the right itinerary and price come down the road. A cruise ship that still feels like a ship is a novelty now, which is sad.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, victory2020 said:

I was on her in August & I asked the cruise consultant this question - he said he had not heard anything but all of their ships are for sale.

Including the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, casavaha said:

Forget about selling, just take it to the breakers and get rid of it.  What a terrible ship, maybe they could ,make it a restaurant ship, permanently moored somewhere, like Istanbul.

Greg

I have no idea why you would say this Greg, the Veendam is definitely NOT a terrible ship.  The Veendam and her sister Maasdam are my 2 favoite ships in the fleet. To each their own but please just say what you do or don't like.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

According to the Future Cruise Consultant on the Amsterdam, Veendam will be taking over some or most of the Prinsendam’s itineraries, and going to the smaller ports.  

Veendam is too big to take over the Prinsendam's smaller ports. The Veendam can take over some of the ports Prinsendam sailed to, though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

I have no idea why you would say this Greg, the Veendam is definitely NOT a terrible ship.  The Veendam and her sister Maasdam are my 2 favoite ships in the fleet. To each their own but please just say what you do or don't like.

And please include when your experience was.

• Like 1

I HAL is sailing out of Tampa again, I can't find any of her cruises to or from that port for 2020.  Does anyone know any more about Tampa being reinstated?  Now that Celebrity is also going to be sailing out of Tampa in 2020, I am surprised HAL is coming back.

12 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I HAL is sailing out of Tampa again, I can't find any of her cruises to or from that port for 2020.  Does anyone know any more about Tampa being reinstated?  Now that Celebrity is also going to be sailing out of Tampa in 2020, I am surprised HAL is coming back.

This is the end of the itinerary from my October 2020 transatlantic cruise.  No other cruises for Veendam is showing up after it docks in Tampa on November 3rd.  They cut the cruise short to be in Tampa on the 3rd.  Who knows?

Monday, November 2

At Sea

No activities are booked for this day.

Tuesday, November 3

Tampa, Florida, US

Arrive: 7:00 AM

No activities are booked for this day.

If they just changed the destination they are probably developing the itineraries out of Tampa.  I will guess that HAL will keep the Veendam until after the elections to see if there's a possibility of resuming Cuba cruises.

Roy

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

I saw a CC post that the Veendam has a full ship charter starting Nov 3, when it arrives from its Trans-Atlantic.

Thanks.  Do you remember where the post was on CC?

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

If they just changed the destination they are probably developing the itineraries out of Tampa.  I will guess that HAL will keep the Veendam until after the elections to see if there's a possibility of resuming Cuba cruises.

Roy

VERy good point, Roy and a good chance you could be right.    Things  have quieted some in Venezuela, which, too,  might   be a consideration

.image.png.5003c8bd61541c21e79299081c77424f.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

12 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

I saw a CC post that the Veendam has a full ship charter starting Nov 3, when it arrives from its Trans-Atlantic.

It is now showing November 22, 2020 to November 29, 2020 out of Tampa.