New embarkation procedures? Keys in room?

BURNS1

After we filled out our required documents, I received an email with this statement-

Enter the terminal with documents in hand, you’ll be on the ship before you know it. Your room keys will be waiting for you in your stateroom. 

Can anyone explain.  If I can't get to my room immediately, how do I charge drinks? We are usually on the ship early and can't go to cabin for an hour or two.

2 minutes ago, BURNS1 said:

After we filled out our required documents, I received an email with this statement-

Enter the terminal with documents in hand, you’ll be on the ship before you know it. Your room keys will be waiting for you in your stateroom. 

Can anyone explain.  If I can't get to my room immediately, how do I charge drinks? We are usually on the ship early and can't go to cabin for an hour or two.

You use your Set Sail Pass to charge drinks. In the mailbox, of your stateroom, you will find one card, which will be used to unlock the door. And waiting for you on your bed (or wherever in the cabin) will be the rest of the Sea Pass cards. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BURNS1 said:

Make sure to print your Set Sail Pass. This will be your ticket to getting drinks after you board. It makes check-in fast and efficient, just a quick scan of your passport and you're ready to board. 

14 minutes ago, SamTimeDining said:

What ships/ports is this now the procedure?

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I've seen it at Bayonne, Port Canaveral, Port Everglades, and PortMiami.

Does the Port of Baltimore (Grandeur) use this procedure?

It has to do with whether the ship is set up for magnetic card swipe / bar code scanning, or if it's set up for RFID (chip in the card).

The ports are set up to make the magnetic swipe / bar code cards, but they don't have the technology to make the RFID cards, so those are created on board the ships that have that system.  

Ships with RFID cards don't have as the problems with cards getting demagnetized/damaged and then you can't get in your room and you have to have Guest Services make you a new card.  Also, ships with the RFID system can use the WOW bands instead of your ship card for purchases on the ship and opening the room door.  

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Fewer check-in agents needed.

When checking in at Canaveral a few months ago in June, they checked us in before even going through security screening. When we went up the escalator to the seating area, we were already checked in and they had maybe 3-5 check in stations for the "old" way of checking in. Very fast, but very different from the "old way" of getting Seapasses at the desk, filling out the health screening form, showing passports etc.

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

It has to do with whether the ship is set up for magnetic card swipe / bar code scanning, or if it's set up for RFID (chip in the card).

Some ships without RFID systems also use the process of having SeaPass cards at the cabin.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brillohead said:

The ports are set up to make the magnetic swipe / bar code cards, but they don't have the technology to make the RFID cards, soard the ships that have that system.  

Ships with RFID cards don't have as the problems with cards getting demagnetized/damaged and then you can't get in your room and you have to have Guest Services make you a new card.  Also, ships with the RFID system can use the WOW bands instead of your ship card for purchases on the ship and opening the room door.  

From my knowledge SeaPass cards have always been made on the ship and only distributes by the Check In agents. Have been in the Concierge Lounge many times when the Concierge was working on sorting the next cruise SeaPass cards.

Edited by Scotty G

2 minutes ago, robandana said:

What about if you have Internet, we normally received the Internet codes when they gave us our Sea pass cards....

I read that the purchase is already on your account, just connect and enter indentification info and you will get access.

15 minutes ago, robandana said:

What about if you have Internet, we normally received the Internet codes when they gave us our Sea pass cards....

There should be a letter in your cabin. Some ships have a pre made password and some let you choose one. 

I think Empress let us choose one, Harmony gave us one

1 hour ago, robandana said:

Each ship seems to have a different system in place.

I was just on Majesty, and I got my Seapass card in the terminal before boarding, but the internet was set up where you create your own code.

When you first connected your device, you got a screen to log in, and you first chose "create an internet account". 

The next screen asked your first name (the full first name [as listed on the reservation] of the person who booked the package, so Robert instead of Rob or Bob, the year of birth, and the stateroom number. 

After submitting that, the next screen pulls up your options... if you had a prepaid package (which it confirmed with the name, YOB, and room number), it will show what package you have, or if you haven't pre-purchased a package, it lets you select 60 minutes, 24 hours, or full cruise for however many devices you want.  

You create a Username and PIN and you're good to go.  If you have a multi-device package, all devices will use that same Username and PIN.  If you log on too many devices, it tells you that your device limit has been reached, and if you choose to log on with this current device, you will bump off one of the other devices that is currently connected.  

That was my first experience with "create your own Username and PIN" -- previously, I was used to being given an access code, either with my Seapass or in a letter in my stateroom. 

I gotta say, I prefer this "create your own" system over all the others.  Because you can choose both the username and the PIN, you can create something that will be easy for everyone in your group to remember, and if you get bumped off, you can easily log back on without having to look for the photo or note where you saved the access code information.  

8 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Each ship seems to have a different system in place.

I was just on Majesty, and I got my Seapass card in the terminal before boarding, but the internet was set up where you create your own code.

When you first connected your device, you got a screen to log in, and you first chose "create an internet account". 

The next screen asked your first name (the full first name [as listed on the reservation] of the person who booked the package, so Robert instead of Rob or Bob, the year of birth, and the stateroom number. 

After submitting that, the next screen pulls up your options... if you had a prepaid package (which it confirmed with the name, YOB, and room number), it will show what package you have, or if you haven't pre-purchased a package, it lets you select 60 minutes, 24 hours, or full cruise for however many devices you want.  

You create a Username and PIN and you're good to go.  If you have a multi-device package, all devices will use that same Username and PIN.  If you log on too many devices, it tells you that your device limit has been reached, and if you choose to log on with this current device, you will bump off one of the other devices that is currently connected.  

That was my first experience with "create your own Username and PIN" -- previously, I was used to being given an access code, either with my Seapass or in a letter in my stateroom. 

I gotta say, I prefer this "create your own" system over all the others.  Because you can choose both the username and the PIN, you can create something that will be easy for everyone in your group to remember, and if you get bumped off, you can easily log back on without having to look for the photo or note where you saved the access code information.  

I just experienced this new way of doing it on the Adventure, and I am THRILLED.  I detested memorizing that code of random letters and numbers.  UGH.  I am so happy!!!!

You described it very well, too, and saved me the trouble of doing it - and not nearly as well.

By the way, the instructions are on your interactive cabin TV.  😄  (I know that Majesty doesn't have this, but Adventure does.  🙂 )

Oh, and I should mention that Majesty JUST started doing this.  I was on Majesty from July 31 to August 10, and we did it the old way with the stupid random codes.  😉 

• Like 2