Drop bags here- there is no need for a porter.

mcatmcat

We take around 3 cruises a year. We live in palm beach so sometimes last minute we go. I have had a few porters that  were jerks. Handed a guy $5 for 3 bags and he said really that’s it. I can name at least 3 times. You basically have to tip to get your bags on a cart. It’s a few bucks, no biggie 

14 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this thread is about the porters that handle your bags at the beginning of the cruise, not at the end.

Yes, you're correct it started that way but as always it moved on.  As to at embarkation still use the porter, wouldn't just leave luggage.   They have a job to do.

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Yes.  Moving our luggage 5 feet onto a cart! 😉

I know, but going behind them, cutting in front of the line, not my thing and might upset my fellow cruisers.  Whether TSA is there or not, I wouldn't just leave luggage for someone to be concerned that it was just "left".  And don't need dh having to try to lift luggage and put on top of pile.  No sure way to know the luggage pile will be low, etc.

5 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I know, but going behind them, cutting in front of the line, not my thing and might upset my fellow cruisers.  Whether TSA is there or not, I wouldn't just leave luggage for someone to be concerned that it was just "left".  And don't need dh having to try to lift luggage and put on top of pile.  No sure way to know the luggage pile will be low, etc.

Oh I would never go behind them or cut in front of any line either.   I'm not sure TSA has anything to do with any of this.

Edited by time4u2go

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Not at all an overreach my absent minded son had his luggage "disappear" into the TSA facility when he left it unattended curbside a few years back, but hey, if you want to risk never seeing your luggage again, go for it. And FYI, TSA absolutely works the departure  terminals at all U.S. cruise ports.

Sorry, wrong again. 

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this thread is about the porters that handle your bags at the beginning of the cruise, not at the end.

With facial recognition and no need to pay them for a short line, their income should be way down now.  Now all they get is their generous Longshorman wages and benefits.

But I tip the drop off crew anyway. 

3 hours ago, mafig said:

Never had a problem with porters.

We do tip…… but we give them the money.  Never had them ask, never had them put out their hand.  

Only port I have ever had a problem with porters demanding money was at Port Of Miami.  Not on Royal but at the MSC tent the porter walked by all of us standing in line and mentioned that luggage was not going anywhere if he didn't get a tip.  I though that was rather rude and crass.  He got a lot less than what I normally tip the porters.  I wanted to not tip him at all but wife has the final say.

3 hours ago, renza said:

We take around 3 cruises a year. We live in palm beach so sometimes last minute we go. I have had a few porters that  were jerks. Handed a guy $5 for 3 bags and he said really that’s it. I can name at least 3 times. You basically have to tip to get your bags on a cart. It’s a few bucks, no biggie 

Tip hustlers.  They should be thankful for what they get.  I had one ask me for a tip BEFORE he took the suitcase! 

Edited by soremekun

Few years ago took a cruise out of Port Canaveral.  Parked at the terminal parking structure.  After the cruise, as I pulled up to the exit booth and paid the parking attendant the parking fee.  He asked me "Where's my tip?"  50% confused, 50% mad, I raised my voice and said "For what?" and drove off.  This tipping business is getting out of hand.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, orville99 said:

And FYI, TSA absolutely works the departure  terminals at all U.S. cruise ports.

uuh, NO.

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/tsa-screen-passengers-cruise-110191.html

Read carefully, no where does it say TSA is actually at any cruise terminal.  Just that the sets the standards and work with the cruise lines in implementing measures.

I have not seen a TSA person at Baltimore.  Ever.

8 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Thousands on a cruise, and some people are determined to make sure the porters are not overpaid so they withhold a few bucks.

Do you realize that most of them make well into the 6 figures?  Probably more than most people tipping them.

• Thanks 1

I don't know how much a porter makes or how many hours a week they work. Or to get to 6 figures, how much overtime they have to work. 

I do know it's a physical job. Having retired from a physical job, I was in a laborers union. Retirement is physically painful. I am riddled with arthritis, from my feet to my neck. I enjoy my vegtable garden, but hubby has to plant it for me. With my knees i can't squat down. When i pick my tomatoes i have to take breaks cause my back tightens so much.  I retired at the bare minimum, 56 years old and 32 years at said job. 

I feel I am so blessed to be able to cruise. A big smile and a few bucks for someone busting their hump is no problem. They hustle to get luggage on board. Yeah thats their job, but if they slowed down you'd notice it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

Port of Miami

Terminal A

I was talking to a friend about the fact that I dont like to give my luggage to a porter and walk away until he said “ you can drop it yourself and it goes straight to the terminal “ 

He didn’t use that systems but he told me you can place it yourself in a baggage carousel and it goes straight to the scanner- is it like that ? 

Back to the original subject, which from what I can tell was about luggage security rather than tipping the porter....

I've never seen a place for the general public to do anything with their luggage at POM.  I've actually seen the exact opposite -- it seemed like the luggage carts were divided into some sort of organizational scheme, where they were pre-sorted to some extent before the carts were wheeled onto the ship, so if you don't know which cart to put your bags on based on your luggage tag, you might be delaying the delivery process.

If you are concerned about the security of your luggage, I think you need to look at the Big Picture here --- exactly how often does a suitcase get lost or stolen and never make it onto the ship???  Not very often, or you'd see thread after thread after thread here full of people pissing and moaning about it.  

Anything valuable or vitally necessary (jewelry, electronics, medications, passports, etc.) should be in one's carry-on bag, not left with the porters.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SRF said:

Do you realize that most of them make well into the 6 figures?  Probably more than most people tipping them.

I am sure your theory is grounded in hard facts. So, how many former porters have you ever met on all the cruises you have been on? Or are you just making up things to rationalize not tipping? 

Most porters we have ever used are good, some aren't.  Same with most professions. But after schlepping my luggage around for years on my own, I like how they are right there. I don't begrudge them the token we pay in grstitude for keepinf our bags secure and onto the ship as we drive off to a garage or enter the terminal.

As to whether the topic is tipping, the purpose of the OP strategy is clearly to avoid tips. So, fair game.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SRF said:

uuh, NO.

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/tsa-screen-passengers-cruise-110191.html

Read carefully, no where does it say TSA is actually at any cruise terminal.  Just that the sets the standards and work with the cruise lines in implementing measures.

I have not seen a TSA person at Baltimore.  Ever.

The security levels are set by the US Coast Guard with input from the Departmet of Homeland Security. Every year all employees who work at the Port of Baltimoe must take pass  refresher test in security measures for them to renew their security credentials. The also must renew their TWIC credentials every five year.