Drop bags here- there is no need for a porter.

mcatmcat

5 hours ago, boscobeans said:

At 73 with a temperamental back and knees I do not worry about a couple of bucks spent so I don't have to load or unload my 50 pound or heavier checked bags from the back of my car or any other place.

Same here .I am older than you.It is likely younger people who have an opposing view.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Same here .I am older than you.It is likely younger people who have an opposing view.

When we have booked cruises that require flying we've had our checked bags sent ahead using Luggage Forward.

Picked up at our house and delivered right to the ship.

And with Luggage Valet on the return, our luggage is no longer a problem even when flying..

Edited by boscobeans

10 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

When we have booked cruises that require flying we've had our checked bags sent ahead using Luggage Forward.

And with Luggage Valet on the return, our luggage is no longer a problem even when flying..

10 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

I am unable to fly due to disabilities.Cruising is my only option.I have never had a problem with luggage or luggage handlers.I tip $10 for 2 suitcases and always get a smile and a thank you.

• Like 1

Is there anyway to make sure your suitcase is on the top of the pile? My cruise 2 times ago it must have been on the very bottom of a very heavy load because all my toiletries had exploded (thank got they were in ziplocks) and I lost about 1/2 of everything that was in each bottle. The time after that we did star class so didn't have to worry about that but in a few weeks I will be giving my bags to the porter to throw on the cart and wonder if anyone knows how to get them on the top of the pile. 

26 minutes ago, Hammergirl said:

Is there anyway to make sure your suitcase is on the top of the pile? My cruise 2 times ago it must have been on the very bottom of a very heavy load because all my toiletries had exploded (thank got they were in ziplocks) and I lost about 1/2 of everything that was in each bottle. The time after that we did star class so didn't have to worry about that but in a few weeks I will be giving my bags to the porter to throw on the cart and wonder if anyone knows how to get them on the top of the pile. 

I'd be surprised if just being at the bottom of the pile would be enough to make all your toiletries explode.... if that was the case, your suitcase would be flattened, as well.

10 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I'd be surprised if just being at the bottom of the pile would be enough to make all your toiletries explode.... if that was the case, your suitcase would be flattened, as well.

I packed everything that morning and nothing happened to the suitcase between our hotel and me giving it to the porter. So something happened to it between them taking it and me getting it in my room. Everything was tapped shut with packing tape and placed in a ziplock. I don’t know what else would cause this to happen.

Edited by Hammergirl

We got new Samsonite hard shell luggage for our next cruise. Even though is says hard shell it's really not that hard. You can push in fairly easy so I will be packing anything fragile or my toiletries in my carry on or back pack. I'll leave my big suitcase just for clothes and shoes. John's picture of the cart shows if your lucky to have your suitcase on top you are good. I hate to image how much weight is on the bottom suitcases.

Is this really a big issue for people? I am not rich by any means and a cruise is not a small expenditure. Most of us are spending thousands on a cruise. People go on about the unlimited dining, drink package or a cabana that costs over a thousand dollars for a few hours. 

I tip a dollar a bag or so. Never had an issue with any of them. Do you know what they do with the luggage carts when they wheel them off? Can we really judge that they don't work hard enough? We will tip a bartender when he mixes rum and coke together. I don't agree with the ones that have an attitude but I have never had that issue. In the grand scheme of things does a couple of dollars really affect the cruise?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

same here, husband is 75 and I am 62.  I love that the porters take my luggage out of the vehicle for me.  Hard enough to load it up at home!

1 minute ago, Robo1098 said:

Is this really a big issue for people? I am not rich by any means and a cruise is not a small expenditure. Most of us are spending thousands on a cruise. People go on about the unlimited dining, drink package or a cabana that costs over a thousand dollars for a few hours. 

I tip a dollar a bag or so. Never had an issue with any of them. Do you know what they do with the luggage carts when they wheel them off? Can we really judge that they don't work hard enough? We will tip a bartender when he mixes rum and coke together. I don't agree with the ones that have an attitude but I have never had that issue. In the grand scheme of things does a couple of dollars really affect the cruise?  

Totally agree!!!

4 hours ago, gerif said:

The agent at the check in counter has a completely different job classification than the porter and I’m sure makes a whole lot more money. Can’t compare apples and oranges. 

Gate agents really don't make much money and have to put up with a lot of complaints and BS since they are the only face of one of the most hated industries in the country. Porters are longshoreman and no one treats them like crap because there is a storm a thousand miles away causing delays on their flight.

I like Galveston, the porters are too lazy to come to the shuttles, I walk my bag to the big room, leave it and go.

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Porters are union longshoremen, in Florida the total compensation package (wages plus benefits) is in the $45,000-$60,000 range. 

Porters are not longshoremen.In Baltimore ,Porters earn ten to twelve dollars an hour.This is documented.They do not work 8 hours a day.They work only on days when ships come in or go out and for only a few hours a day.

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Porters are not longshoremen.In Baltimore ,Porters earn ten to twelve dollars an hour.This is documented.They do not work 8 hours a day.They work only on days when ships come in or go out and for only a few hours a day.

Definitely longshoreman in PC. Many of their vests show the union logo ILA.

8 hour days, 5-6 days a week.

PC is massively busier than Baltimore

Edited by John&LaLa

Well these threads are always annoying. I sail from NJ or NY, but 99% of the time from NJ and have NEVER been harassed for a tip. I always do tip, because that is what we do here in NY/NJ but its not like the guy is breathing down are necks or outright saying, GIVE ME MY TIP NOW! We usually have 2 bags checked and I hand the guy 5 bucks. I just spent a couple grand on a vacation, 5 bucks ain't gonna kill me.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Definitely longshoreman in PC. Many of their vests show the union logo

What is PC ? In Baltimore they are not. I spoke to a guy last December.He nrought luggage to my car and saw my NY license plate.He said he is a NYC resident who was out of work and came to Baltimore to get a job as a porter.

2 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Well these threads are always annoying. I sail from NJ or NY, but 99% of the time from NJ and have NEVER been harassed for a tip. I always do tip, because that is what we do here in NY/NJ but its not like the guy is breathing down are necks or outright saying, GIVE ME MY TIP NOW! We usually have 2 bags checked and I hand the guy 5 bucks. I just spent a couple grand on a vacation, 5 bucks ain't gonna kill me.  

I give 10 for two suitcases.I am not physically able to lift more than 5 pounds .The guys take the suitcases out of my car and when coming back they put the luggage into the car.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

What is PC ? In Baltimore they are not. I spoke to a guy last December.He nrought luggage to my car and saw my NY license plate.He said he is a NYC resident who was out of work and came to Baltimore to get a job as a porter.

I believe its Port Canaveral. I'm from NJ so I'm not up on the lingo either.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never cruised out of Port Canaveral.I have no idea of anything going on there.

Me either, I sail from NJ and NY only. I just love the ships, the itinerary doesn't mean a whole lot to me, a little but not a lot.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Pt Canaveral