Celebrity Press Release (9/20/19) New Ad Campaign: 'Wonder Awaits"

Andy

I had to laugh when reading Turtle06's Summit review. He reported some weird happenings in the OVC - maybe Alice is onboard...

" The spoons in particular were huge.  I generally eat cereal for breakfast, and the spoons put out for that were almost the size of ladles.  They could barely fit in the yogurt cups.  One evening, at the ice cream station, they had little teeny tiny spoons available."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I had to laugh when reading Turtle06's Summit review. He reported some weird happenings in the OVC - maybe Alice is onboard...

" The spoons in particular were huge.  I generally eat cereal for breakfast, and the spoons put out for that were almost the size of ladles.  They could barely fit in the yogurt cups.  One evening, at the ice cream station, they had little teeny tiny spoons available."

And what about those low to the ground tiny chairs in EDEN!  Uh oh!

2 hours ago, hcat said:

And what about those low to the ground tiny chairs in EDEN!  Uh oh!

I've been catching up reading this thread with interest as I do remember the song.  But,  now you just made me laugh uncontrollably. Love your comment!

Edited by ecslady

18 minutes ago, ecslady said:

I've been catching up reading this thread with interest as I do remember the song.  But,  now you just made me laugh uncontrollably. Love your comment!

I know - I made the mistake of taking a sip of tea right then and almost choked. 🙂

Those who have been to EDEN know the  furniture well..low to the ground , armless.   They could  also go with a Hobbit Middle Earth Motif    We actually love the space...not the furniture  in the main area.  

Seems EDEN does not have a theme  song...I can think of a few .. Woodstock...Joni Mitchell and CSNY.....anyone else?

Edited by hcat

Or maybe

Iron Butterfly In A Gadda Da Vida
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (derived from "In the Garden of Eden") is a song recorded by Iron Butterfly and written by bandmember Doug Ingle, released on their 1968 album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. At slightly over 17 minutes, it occupies the entire second side of the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, hcat said:

Or maybe

Iron Butterfly In A Gadda Da Vida
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (derived from "In the Garden of Eden") is a song recorded by Iron Butterfly and written by bandmember Doug Ingle, released on their 1968 album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. At slightly over 17 minutes, it occupies the entire second side of the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album.

Actually what happened is Doug wrote it as"in the garden of Eden" but when he sang it on the demo, he was so "messed up" he was slurring words so the band thought he was saying "Inagaddadavida" and it stuck".  Ties into this topic brilliantly I think.

"the song's title was originally "In the Garden of Eden" or "In the Garden of Venus" but in the course of rehearsing and recording singer Doug Ingle slurred the words into the nonsense phrase of the title while under the influence."

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Actually what happened is Doug wrote it as"in the garden of Eden" but when he sang it on the demo, he was so "messed up" he was slurring words so the band thought he was saying "Inagaddadavida" and it stuck".  Ties into this topic brilliantly I think.

"the song's title was originally "In the Garden of Eden" or "In the Garden of Venus" but in the course of rehearsing and recording singer Doug Ingle slurred the words into the nonsense phrase of the title while under the influence."

Interesting...  We saw Iron Butterfly on the 2018 Flower Power Cruise and loved their performance of that song. Of course Doug isn't performing with them anymore. ✌️

53 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Interesting...  We saw Iron Butterfly on the 2018 Flower Power Cruise and loved their performance of that song. Of course Doug isn't performing with them anymore. ✌️

I play the drums and love playing the drums to In A Gadda Da Vida.  😎✌️

• Like 2

I personally love this ad campaign.  Hubby and I were on Edge for 2 weeks earlier this year and this new add campaign and the song brought our memories of the cruise right back as if we were still onboard!   We have booked Edge for 2 weeks at Thanksgiving again in 2020 and can't wait to get back onboard.

As a side note, it seems every morning when I wake up now and turn on the news that particular commercial is running, it makes me smile and think happy thoughts early in the day that seem to last all day.  I hope they continue with it, in my mind it evokes good memories and pleasant thoughts.

3 hours ago, mitz18 said:

There was a Simpsons episode in church in which Bart slipped some sheet music in on the choir and organ player and they proceeded to perform In The Garden of Eden to the Iron Butterfly music.  Was funny, it wore out the organ player.

On 9/26/2019 at 10:45 AM, TeeRick said:

Here is my feeling on this but it might offend some just like the song so I apologize to those folks.  Only Grace Slick knows what she meant by her lyrics.  The rest of us have perceptions and interpretations  of what we think it means just like any other song.  Some associate it with the drug expansion culture of that time.  Others do not. Look up the Wiki page for it- quite interesting.  There are numerous TV series, movies and ads that have used this song.  It was quite popular.  Celebrity joins a long list.  If you feel Celebrity is insensitive in its advertising because of your own perception of the lyrics that is really not being fair to Celebrity.  It is just an ad.

Grace has been quite vocal about what it meant. The older generation getting upset at the younger for drug use when they used alcohol. I still laugh when I see it. I would be floored if the ad department didn’t know what they were doing. 

I expect some sort of ecstasy package any day now to play off it, with legal items of course.

• Haha 1

I guess being a senior (and an avid cruiser for over 40 years) has made me crotchety.  Why?  Because I could give a hoot (using a word allowed on CC) about any ad campaign!  More marketing means that more of our cruise dollars are going to ad agencies while fewer dollars are going to purchase decent food, entertainment, perks, etc!  I can understand why X needs a big new ad campaign.....to overcome the reaction to all their cut backs in quality and increases in prices.

Hardly a day goes by when I do not get at least one e-mail (and snail mail brochure) from X.  Almost everything is aimed at getting us to book the Edge at ridiculous prices (given the product).  Calling  an "Outside Cabin" an infinity cabin doesn't impress me as we want a real balcony/veranda attached to our cabins....not a window that opens!  For less then the price of a real balcony on the Edge we were able to book a Suite on Seabourn!  And Seabourn is a true luxury line that is all-inclusive.  Yes, we know there are those that want to go on anything that is new....but we want quality whether it is new or old!

Because we are stockholders we do wish LLP and Celebrity well.  But we are not even considering paying the normal pricing on the Edge class ships.  And the only way we will now cruise on the other X ships is if we get a bargain deal (like we recently got on the Summit).  If LLP wants us to pay the bigger prices she has to deliver a better product.

Hank

• Like 3

On 9/25/2019 at 7:15 PM, ScubesDad said:

Although the song was released in  '67, it is often inferred that it was written when Slick was coming off an acid trip.

It is sad that the children's  story has been so strongly tied to the hallucinogenic  drug culture of the 60's and 70's.

Wasn’t it written in 65 and released in 67? I love Grace Slick’s voice, but I do find the ad humorous. Not in a bad way, a surprising way.

6 minutes ago, hulamoon said:

Wasn’t it written in 65 and released in 67? I love Grace Slick’s voice, but I do find the ad humorous. Not in a bad way, a surprising way.

Yes, written in 65 while she was still with the band Great Society, then released in 67 on the LP Surrealistic Pillow.

• Thanks 1

Well, at least Wonder Awaits is more appropriate than Modern Luxury. With that said, I enjoyed the ad. For all of those  folks who are offended by the drug references, alcohol is also a drug and if they ever discontinued your Elite and Elite +  happy hour perk there would be a meltdown on this board.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

...Hardly a day goes by when I do not get at least one e-mail (and snail mail brochure) from X.  Almost everything is aimed at getting us to book the Edge at ridiculous prices (given the product).  Calling  an "Outside Cabin" an infinity cabin doesn't impress me as we want a real balcony/veranda attached to our cabins....not a window that opens! ...

Because we are stockholders we do wish LLP and Celebrity well.  But we are not even considering paying the normal pricing on the Edge class ships.  And the only way we will now cruise on the other X ships is if we get a bargain deal (like we recently got on the Summit).  If LLP wants us to pay the bigger prices she has to deliver a better product.

Hank

I enjoyed the new ad campaign with Capt. Kate finale, but noticed it did not show the actress sitting in the little upright chairs (without foot stools) on an infinite veranda. I’m not an Edge fan. It had some good features (like the ipad applications) but was way too low on practical comfort.

Our next Celebrity cruise in November, booked a couple of years ago, fortunately sails before Silhouette gets the Kelly Hoppen treatment. Like you, Hank, I’m only interested in booking X now when a close-to-home bargain comes along like the Tampa Constellation departures which had decent Sky Suite prices when they were announced. But I have no interest in the Edge class vessels again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I enjoyed the new ad campaign with Capt. Kate finale, but noticed it did not show the actress sitting in the little upright chairs (without foot stools) on an infinite veranda. I’m not an Edge fan. It had some good features (like the ipad applications) but was way too low on practical comfort.

Our next Celebrity cruise in November, booked a couple of years ago, fortunately sails before Silhouette gets the Kelly Hoppen treatment. Like you, Hank, I’m only interested in booking X now when a close-to-home bargain comes along like the Tampa Constellation departures which had decent Sky Suite prices when they were announced. But I have no interest in the Edge class vessels again.

Never having met Captain Kate or even being on a vessel she commands..we are big fans :).  I am really pleased to see a US Citizen commanding a cruise ship and we have heard nothing but good things about this Captain.  We know another senior officer on Celebrity who also hopes to one day make Captain, but he always was concerned about the hesitancy of cruise lines to put an American or Canadian in command.  Captain Kate not only breaks the so-called glass barrier but sets an example for other North Americans.  Good for her....and we hope to one day cruise on one of her ships.

Hank