Celebrity Press Release (9/20/19) New Ad Campaign: 'Wonder Awaits"

Andy

On 9/20/2019 at 5:43 AM, Andy said:

BTW,  my sincere apologies for not posting lately. Work has been extremely busy, but I will make every effort to participate as much as possible ! 

Miss everyone very much. Hope you are doing well.

Andy -- We miss you too! How are you doing (aside from staying busy -- as usual)??

Oh -- just now saw your post about writing a book. Good for you -- I can hardly wait to read it!🤗

Edited by wwcruisers

Perhaps Celebrity will continue the Alice theme by renaming the buffets Alice's Restaurant, ads featuring Arlo singing "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant, walk right in its around the back, just a deck below the go cart track.  You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant."  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Perhaps Celebrity will continue the Alice theme by renaming the buffets Alice's Restaurant, ads featuring Arlo singing "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant, walk right in its around the back, just a deck below the go cart track.  You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant."  

I would start going to the buffet more often. 🙂

Love Arlo - saw him perform at Woodstock 50th Anniversary at Bethel Woods a few weeks ago - he still is a wonderful performer. Will see him again in March on the FPC - really hoping for Alice's Restaurant included in performance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Love Arlo - saw him perform at Woodstock 50th Anniversary at Bethel Woods a few weeks ago - he still is a wonderful performer. Will see him again in March on the FPC - really hoping for Alice's Restaurant included in performance.

He was playing here in the Lehigh Valley every November on an Alice's Restaurant tour, has become for me a Thanksgiving tradition to listen to said song.  Last time I heard him was 2016, been snowbirding since. 

• Like 1

This article just came out a couple of days ago and further explains the target group X is going for in this ad. This ad does separate them from pack - it remains to be seen if it does bring in the target group.

"Eschewing the bright and sunny, carefree look of a run-of-the-mill cruise line commercial, Celebrity Cruises and London-based creative agency Lucky Generals turned to ’60s psychedelia and every owner of a black light’s favorite piece of literature for their new campaign, “Wonder Awaits.”

"It’s an interesting spot for a typically conservative industry, which is now beginning to market itself to young professionals."

“‘Wonder Awaits’ is about bringing the experience of cruising with Celebrity to life in a dramatic, beautiful way,” said Peter Giorgi, CMO of Celebrity Cruises, in a statement about the campaign. “We wanted to show how unexpected moments, impeccable service and stunning design create a trip that is truly wonderful and provides our guests with a break from reality, even just for an instant.”

“We want viewers to see Celebrity the way we see Celebrity: as a modern and progressive brand with an incredible and unique product,”

“We hope to convey the same feelings of wonder and intrigue you get from being on a Celebrity cruise in a fresh way.”

https://www.adweek.com/creativity/jefferson-airplane-on-a-cruise-ship-lucky-generals-gets-psychedelic-for-celebrity-cruises/

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hcat said:

Or maybe

Iron Butterfly In A Gadda Da Vida
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (derived from "In the Garden of Eden") is a song recorded by Iron Butterfly and written by bandmember Doug Ingle, released on their 1968 album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. At slightly over 17 minutes, it occupies the entire second side of the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album.

hcat- you nailed it!  Perfect song for Eden.  Maybe Celebrity will hire you for their next commercial:classic_wink:.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

Royal Caribbean already has a specialty theme restaurant called Wonderland.  It is actually quite good!

51 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

This article just came out a couple of days ago and further explains the target group X is going for in this ad. This ad does separate them from pack - it remains to be seen if it does bring in the target group.

"Eschewing the bright and sunny, carefree look of a run-of-the-mill cruise line commercial, Celebrity Cruises and London-based creative agency Lucky Generals turned to ’60s psychedelia and every owner of a black light’s favorite piece of literature for their new campaign, “Wonder Awaits.”

"It’s an interesting spot for a typically conservative industry, which is now beginning to market itself to young professionals."

“‘Wonder Awaits’ is about bringing the experience of cruising with Celebrity to life in a dramatic, beautiful way,” said Peter Giorgi, CMO of Celebrity Cruises, in a statement about the campaign. “We wanted to show how unexpected moments, impeccable service and stunning design create a trip that is truly wonderful and provides our guests with a break from reality, even just for an instant.”

“We want viewers to see Celebrity the way we see Celebrity: as a modern and progressive brand with an incredible and unique product,”

“We hope to convey the same feelings of wonder and intrigue you get from being on a Celebrity cruise in a fresh way.”

https://www.adweek.com/creativity/jefferson-airplane-on-a-cruise-ship-lucky-generals-gets-psychedelic-for-celebrity-cruises/

Thanks Marilyn very interesting.  I do find a cruise a break from reality.  The way this is going perhaps we will see that Hippie Van that was in the original renderings of the Retreat on Edge!

Edited by TeeRick

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

Mayilyn, for the old hippies, Arlo now 72!  He is playing twice next week in VT if you look it up.  Burlington (Oct 4) and Rutland (Oct 2).  Also Keene NH (Oct 5).

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hardly a day goes by when I do not get at least one e-mail (and snail mail brochure) from X.  Almost everything is aimed at getting us to book the Edge at ridiculous prices (given the product).  

Hank

Hank- I never get any correspondence from Celebrity at all.  I keep trying to sign up for Celebrity emails.  I guess I am blacklisted.  But they do have my email since I get notices for final payments!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

. For all of those  folks who are offended by the drug references, alcohol is also a drug and if they ever discontinued your Elite and Elite +  happy hour perk there would be a meltdown on this board.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who noticed the hypocrisy in some of these posts. Where's the outrage over the beverage packages that so many enjoy?

I love the song, the ad, and happy hour. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jc foster said:

This song was released in the " Summer of Love" 1967. I was a twenty year old kid in beautiful Southeast Asia and listened to it on AFN.  The song probably brings back fond memories for many but not for me. 

I think they have seriously underestimated both the number of families who saw tragedy during the sixties AND the number of families impacted by the current opioid crisis.  

When I saw the advertisement for the first time, I was personally appalled.  It really is a glorification of drug culture, no matter how artistic they pretend to me. 

Huge turn-off for me and mine.  I hope they chuck this ad campaign.  

Alcohol is one of the most widely available and easily accessible addictive substances, and a 2014 CDCP study found that about 88,000 deaths every year in the US alone are caused by alcohol. Most of Celebrity's tv commercials, brochure, on-line advertising, etc., shows passengers drinking. If people here are really concerned, they should probably worry less about the questionable glorification of the drug culture in the Wonder Awaits commercial and focus on those promoting the use of alcohol.

FWIW, the CDCP's 2017 study showed fewer people (70,000) died annually in the US from opioids than from alcohol. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Mayilyn, for the old hippies, Arlo now 72!  He is playing twice next week in VT if you look it up.  Burlington (Oct 4) and Rutland (Oct 2).  Also Keene NH (Oct 5).

Thanks! I am a member of the Flynn in Burlington so saw that one - we passed since we just saw him in August and will see him in March. We will be in a suite for the FPC and my dream is that he will hang out in Michael's and hopefully I can say "hi."  He seems like a wonderful person, in addition to being an artist. If not him, I'll settle for Peter Noone from Herman's Hermits.... 😉

Edited by vtcruising

5 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I was beginning to think I was the only one who noticed the hypocrisy in some of these posts. Where's the outrage over the beverage packages that so many enjoy?

I love the song, the ad, and happy hour. 

The WW II generation forgets that alcohol is just as addicting and mind altering as Woodstock Hippie pills. 

• Like 1

An advertising budget will be spent whether we agree with the commercials or not.  If they cut the advertising budget I don't think the money would go to maintaining passenger perks - more likely to executive bonuses but not passenger perks.

• Haha 1

Saw them this morning on G.M.A. they are well done if a little strange .I am not sure it would entice me to book a cruise, I like the music (I know some don't like it past as a drug  anthem) I think Xs commercials have never been all that great. Seems like Royal and N.C.L. know what they want to sell and do a good selling it ,X does not.  Carnival is even worse they would have been stale twenty years ago. I once tried to start an ongoing thread about cruise line advertising and no one cared . Sorry I find it worth talking about.

5 minutes ago, dolittle said:

Saw them this morning on G.M.A. they are well done if a little strange .I am not sure it would entice me to book a cruise, I like the music (I know some don't like it past as a drug  anthem) I think Xs commercials have never been all that great. Seems like Royal and N.C.L. know what they want to sell and do a good selling it ,X does not.  Carnival is even worse they would have been stale twenty years ago. I once tried to start an ongoing thread about cruise line advertising and no one cared . Sorry I find it worth talking about.

We don't pay that much attention to the cruise lines commercials. They have no influence on our choice to cruise, no matter the cruise line.

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

We don't pay that much attention to the cruise lines commercials. They have no influence on our choice to cruise, no matter the cruise line.

Thanks for going to the trouble of telling me you do not care .

• Like 1