Howl at the Moon - "Pay for Play"

Ciref

I just got off the Escape and had a wonderful cruise.  However, I had an issue with the piano players doing the Howl at the Moon Show and wanted to see if I am over reacting or others feel as I do. 

I was very surprised to see guests paying to have their song requests performed next.  I was offended by the multiple times the two pianists solicited the audience to pay them up to $30.00 so that they would immediately play their requested song.  I understand they work hard and I am happy to tip them for their efforts but frankly this "pay for play" soliciting was offensive.  

Do you agree?

Eric

It is part of their "schtick" to pay for play.  But, if you want to hear a certain song, I view it like a Juke Box.  You put the money in to hear the song you want.  If you have no requests, then just enjoy the music and the show.

I don't think they are actually expecting $30 for a request (I've actually heard them say $200 for a song is what they want), but I never took them seriously.

A dollar, maybe a fiver if you really want to hear your song "RIGHT NOW"!

Actually, I've only ever seen them pull money from a "request slip" a couple of times over the years.  So, perhaps they don't receive as much in tips as you think.

Again, it's part of the "schtick"!

This is standard practice at every piano bar. Once on Epic I had a song played immediately (like seconds after dropping my request) after a $5.00 tip.   These guys work their hearts out and tips supplement their income.  If someone really wants to pay $30, God bless their heart.  The standard is $1 - $5 to get your song played when I experienced it.  And yes, the more you pay the faster your song is played.  Just think of the value you have to make a piano player entertainer stop in their tracks and play YOUR song.

Makes perfect sense to me.  Singing is still free.  But if you want to impose your song, a few bucks will make it happen.  Remember that they call the shots and have the night planned with or without you.  That's their job.  You tip a waiter for brining a drink, don't you think its fair to tip the piano player the same while he/she plays and sings your song?

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 5

You don't have to request a song.  You can just sit and listen and enjoy the show.  Not all Howl at the Moon shows are equal.  When I was on the Epic a few years back the show sucked.  We got up and left after 30 minutes.

Also you can use your UBP package to get the piano players a couple of drinks and add your request with the drinks.

Edited by Oakman58
  • Like 1

We have seen the Howl at the Moon on quite a few ships and last time was this summer when we were on the Getaway again. It is one of my favorite places to go on any ship and I was happy to introduce my 20 year old grandson to it. Before the cruise was over he got to meet and have his picture taken with all three of the piano players. Anything they get is richly deserved as they work hard. I wish the Howl at the Moon was on all the NCL ships.

• Like 3

It's pretty standard at the land-based HATM too.  At my local one, they often post a "menu" of special-request prices by writing on the mirror behind the stage with dry erase markers.  ($XX for a birthday stage call, and so forth.)  As the evening wears on, and the alcohol flows, the prices tend to be revised upwards for repeat requests.

The one near me actually splits the mirror in two and you can pay to have whatever phrase you want up there (with some exceptions). It's often ridiculously amusing to see what people come up with and how much they'll pay for it. 

I've actually seen people throw a 20 for a song (both land and sea) but have also seen requests with no money getting played. I've also seen them say you need to pay more than that for me to play that. 

I definitely don't have a problem with it and missed it on Bliss. Maybe because I've gone to a lot of piano bars on land? I was actually bummed they don't do the mirror messages on board, but it makes sense as they aren't strict about ID like they are on land. 

2 hours ago, Ciref said:

I just got off the Escape and had a wonderful cruise.  However, I had an issue with the piano players doing the Howl at the Moon Show and wanted to see if I am over reacting or others feel as I do. 

I was very surprised to see guests paying to have their song requests performed next.  I was offended by the multiple times the two pianists solicited the audience to pay them up to $30.00 so that they would immediately play their requested song.  I understand they work hard and I am happy to tip them for their efforts but frankly this "pay for play" soliciting was offensive.  

Do you agree?

Eric

I was on a different NCL ship and on this one the Howl at the Moon guys were asking for a dollar or two.One of the guys mentioned that he lived on Long Island and when I told him that I did too he gave back the dollar.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ciref said:

Do you agree?

Eric

I agree. I understand giving a small tip with your request, but one of the cruises when we went to Howl, they were quite aggressive soliciting for tips. It was definitely a turn off.

• Like 1

I got off the Escape a couple if weeks ago and i must admit I found the constant $$ talk at HATM this time a bit annoying.

HATM was always one of the highlights for me in the past on the Escape and Breakaway and would tip $5 or so for a song request.   I totally understand the "tip for play" concept and dont mind when someone gets their song played first when they tip really well.   However this last trip the $$ talk was non-stop..if someone gave $10 they kept saying ."we'll stop singing this song and will sing your song for $11...and so on.  Couldnt even enjoy half a song...sounded more like an auction than anything else.   

I was happy there were so many other entertainment options.   

As others have mentioned, this is common practice at any HATM and is par for the course.  Heck my daughter paid for a song one time on the Epic that was never played, it happens no biggie.  However, the last trip on the Escape HATM was terrible.  The one female singer completely destroyed Bohemian Rhapsody and we left.  We liked it the first few cruises, but it has gotten a little stale.  

The better ones express appreciation for the higher tips and move those requests up front naturally. And the audience gets it and responds if they choose too.

Sometimes it's part of the fun.  Someone paid $1 to play "Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?" from Little Mermaid.  Someone slapped down $5 to stop.  Original requester put down $10 to continue.  $20 to stop.  it was funny.

I've seen really good performers - engaging, funny, friendly, worth spending every evening there, and I've seen obnoxious over-the-top and only spend an hour there for the cruise.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ciref said:

Do you agree?

Eric

It is the same with Land based Howl at the Moon locations. Personally I see nothing wrong with it, but then again I've been in enough of them to know how the entertainers work.

We can either choose to pay or just sit back and listen, and it's amazing how alcohol can loosen the wallet for some.

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

The better ones express appreciation for the higher tips and move those requests up front naturally. And the audience gets it and responds if they choose too.

Sometimes it's part of the fun.  Someone paid $1 to play "Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?" from Little Mermaid.  Someone slapped down $5 to stop.  Original requester put down $10 to continue.  $20 to stop.  it was funny.

I've seen really good performers - engaging, funny, friendly, worth spending every evening there, and I've seen obnoxious over-the-top and only spend an hour there for the cruise.

This is funny and I've seen it happen. I was part of a group that got involved wanting Hang on Sloopy (Ohio State song) vs. All other College Fight/theme songs. To say the piano players made out would be mild. 

We had had a bunch of Ohio State fans pooling money to keep Hang on Sloopy playing. Thinking it was in the $100.00-$150.00 range. Yes alcohol did play a factor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My husband is one those that gets a little tipsy and suddenly only wants to hear “Don’t stop Believing”. Last time on the epic he kept giving dollar bills and the last time he went up he gave a $5 and hugs. 🤣🤣 It worked out. 

Its set up the same as me as any other piano bar and that’s why i love it. Grown, drunk men throwing around money to hear or not hear Journey is hysterical. 

• Like 1

On Breakaway earlier this year, I had requests on the Piano, with no cash attached.  Both songs got played.  In one case I requested Deano "That's Amore".  The lady pianist picked it up, smiled, and played it immediately. You don't have to attach $ but it helps.  And I don't considered the prompting for tips to be inappropriate.  Its just  a voluntary part of the show.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was on a different NCL ship and on this one the Howl at the Moon guys were asking for a dollar or two.One of the guys mentioned that he lived on Long Island and when I told him that I did too he gave back the dollar.

Hometown Discount!

On 9/23/2019 at 5:09 PM, Oakman58 said:

Also you can use your UBP package to get the piano players a couple of drinks and add your request with the drinks.

Is this written anywhere in the PBP T&Cs? Because when I read it..... it states that the package is not transferrable and sharing of drinks can cause you to forfeit the package and be responsible for the cost of all drinks previously orders. If sharing is allowed, then it's for a family member or friend..... not to hear "Sweet Caroline" quicker.

On 9/23/2019 at 4:41 PM, Ciref said:

but frankly this "pay for play" soliciting was offensive.  

Eric

So what?  Everyone is 'offended' by any and everything now.  What does that really mean/matter?  Who cares!  Being offended is a YOU problem that means zilch to everyone else.

13 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Is this written anywhere in the PBP T&Cs? Because when I read it..... it states that the package is not transferrable and sharing of drinks can cause you to forfeit the package and be responsible for the cost of all drinks previously orders. If sharing is allowed, then it's for a family member or friend..... not to hear "Sweet Caroline" quicker.

Yes, yes, terms and conditions.  When it comes to Howl at the Moon, rules don't apply.  When I was on the Epic the HATM piano players actually told the audience that those with the UBP should be providing them with drinks.  Everyone knows whats going on including the bartenders and no one loses their beverage package.

Loosen up and learn to have a little fun in life.

• Thanks 1