Executive office called about my Guarantee Cabin

We got our Interior Guarantee Cabin 30 days before our Brilliance B2B for the first portion on Deck 3. On the 2nd portion we got upgraded to a Balcony on Deck 8.  We are still holding out but are not expecting a RoyalUP upgrade.  What Royal told me is that they will do everything to assign our cabin before boarding but there is a slight chance it would happen at the port. 

A guarantee cabin is sort of like Basic Economy on the airlines you pay the low cost and if you don't want to pay for an assigned seat you get the luck of the draw.  Now what I think happens is Royal may  look at your Crown and Anchor Status, Past Sailings and assign you to the best location possible.

We are very happy with our Interior location just forward of the forward elevators at the end with no cabin on one side of our cabin as its as the start of the block.

Some may not be happy with a Guarantee and I suggest that they pay to get an assignment but for those who are not picky then the savings can be grand!

Hope this helps.

If you book a hotel room you also don‘t know the floor and location in advance, just the room type. This is the same as a guaranteed cabin. And you always get the assignment not before you arrive.

Someone deleted my last comment here. Is this standard procedure now? I still don‘t get it why people make such a big story out of guaranteed cabins. Most European cruise lines have offered this option forever. It is cheaper and therefore comes with some uncertainty.

• Like 1

I am on the Voyager cruise on Nov.16th from Singapore and have checked in and downloaded my sail pass and my luggage tags for my chosen balcony cabin which I booked months ago. I have now received an email telling me that my cabin has now been changed to a guarantee cabin which I find very strange! However when I phoned RCI I couldn’t find any answers as to why this has changed but I guess it might be something to do with the update and re -assignment of cabins. I am Diamond Plus and hoping that I will be given a cabin in the same or similar location otherwise I will not be happy! 

Has anyone had a similar experience with a fixed cabin being changed to a guarantee due to a ship's update?

2 hours ago, queenslander said:

Has anyone had a similar experience with a fixed cabin being changed to a guarantee due to a ship's update?

I've seen reports of staterooms being changed because of stateroom updates/recategorizations.

30 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I've seen reports of staterooms being changed because of stateroom updates/recategorizations.

Thank you for your reply! Just wondered why it would change from a fixed balcony to a balcony guarantee as this doesn’t seem fair when a guarantee is usually less expensive. I imagine that they would know the new recategorizations by now and could give me a definite cabin number In the same area that I have booked. 

1 hour ago, queenslander said:

Thank you for your reply! Just wondered why it would change from a fixed balcony to a balcony guarantee as this doesn’t seem fair when a guarantee is usually less expensive. I imagine that they would know the new recategorizations by now and could give me a definite cabin number In the same area that I have booked. 

Maybe you can ask for a price drop since you were moved to a guarantee?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, TexasBlue7 said:

What did I expect from my post?  A negative post such as yours.  You didn't let me down.

What did I seek?  Someone that has addressed this issue with RL before and what RL had said.

Yes, all the Jr. Suites were booked.  What does that mean to me?  It means they are all sold, why not assign them now or at least see what they could do for us as our needs had changed.  Just makes good business sense to me. 

Hope to see a positive post from BrilloHead some day. 🙂

I can't find your original post, but based on quotes in other replies.  I can think of several reasons why they won't assign cabins even if the entire block is sold.

1.  Someone cancels which moves you up on the pecking list for a better cabin in that category.

2.  Someone does a royal up to another category again shuffles what cabin you might be assigned.

Several months out things are still in a state of flux esp. now with royal-up.

I am a little over 30 days out and I booked a guarentee balcony because I honestly didn't know what was a good choice!  I called today mainly because I am curious haha.. I was told they had not sold many balconies that was why I had not been assigned yet. And I would know 3 days prior to sailing or whenever they had sold most of the balconies. I don't know if they were just blowing smoke at me or if that is the policy?

Again I don't plan on spending much time in that room so it doesn't matter much to me but I was curious.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:23 PM, LINDAE3213 said:

I have an update -- this morning I went on Elliot.org and pulled up the contact emails for RCCL.  attached here.

I sent them an email about my Pre Cruise experience and included comments I have posted here  about my concerns from not being assigned a cabin yet via a Guarantee.

Within 20 minutes of sending that email -  Damien called from the Executive office.    I passed on the number to my TA to handle.   She just called me back.   

Thanks for posting this and the contact info.  I sent them an email expressing disappointment regarding not getting Star class for a Singapore sailing and got a call back today that the information I had been given was incorrect and the Singapore departures for the Quantum would get the Royal Suite benefits.

Seems like RCCL executive office is really responsive for what is a large organization. 

1 hour ago, dancingfish said:

I am a little over 30 days out and I booked a guarentee balcony because I honestly didn't know what was a good choice!  I called today mainly because I am curious haha.. I was told they had not sold many balconies that was why I had not been assigned yet. And I would know 3 days prior to sailing or whenever they had sold most of the balconies. I don't know if they were just blowing smoke at me or if that is the policy?

Again I don't plan on spending much time in that room so it doesn't matter much to me but I was curious.

I love the guarantee room usually it's a really good deal and you know what you're at least getting for it. 

On 10/12/2019 at 1:53 PM, brillohead said:

The porters can look you up on the manifest and write your luggage tag accordingly.

Just because you don't have your room number until you check in doesn't mean that it hasn't been assigned until check-in.  It's assigned by that morning and listed on the manifest. 

We have been on 28 cruises and finally were looking at cruises that offered a Guarantee Booking Option and took it.  We have an upcoming cruise in February where we took the Balcony GTY option and no cabin yet.  I am not worried -- I know we will get a cabin.  I do like that I learned something new --- that if we get to the port, the porters have a master list to look up our cabin and put the correct cabin number on our luggage tags.

Thanks.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Royal should simply come out with a policy that says if you book a Guarantee you will be assigned your room at the pier.   

This would eliminate a lot of gty anxiety. 

Why? I'm happy with the GTY system and don't want it to change. If yiu don't like it don't book one.

32 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Royal should simply come out with a policy that says if you book a Guarantee you will be assigned your room at the pier.   

This would eliminate a lot of gty anxiety. 

I don't understand why you believe that telling people they would be assigned their cabin at the pier would eliminate any anxiety.

People who are so anxious about things, should just NOT book a guarantee cabin.  

What puzzles me is how  wide the range is of 'room assignments to GTY reservations are'.....it can vary from within days of making reservation to up to arrival at pier.  But I am NOT losing sleep over it.  

FYI, if you can see your set sail pass, scan the barcode with a reader app. The last few it should translate to folio number-cabin number. Generally I think it could still change but but that had worked for a few people I know.