Voyager of the Seas gets hull painted blue! New livery for all RCI ships?

Fairsky84

At Captain's Corner on Anthem Captain Ban was asked why the hull was painted blue.  His quick retort was that they wanted the ship to look more white so they painted it blue.  Apparently he claimed the blue lower hull makes the upper ship appear cleaner and more white.  He didn't seem very impressed with the idea.

He went on to explain it was a bit of a pain to keep up.  The blue fades in the sun over time.  When it comes time to touch up areas the original blue when painted on looks distinctly different since it's much darker than the faded blue.  They have to mix in some white paint to attempt to color match with the now faded blue base.  This becomes an exercise in trial and error.  Mix some up, apply it, let it dry and see how it looks.

Back when the hull was white all they had to do was apply more white paint.  Now, it's not so easy.

Having had this pointed out it became very evident during a stop in Port Canaveral while they were touching up the paint.  Eventually they need to paint large areas or the ship appears to have distinct areas of color differences.

qhVcctx.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I think there may more to this story we don't know about.

Probably something like the guy already knew what color the ship was going to be painted and when, so he could e-mail his "idea" to MB just in time to take credit for it on his blog. Genius!

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Probably something like the guy already knew what color the ship was going to be painted and when, so he could e-mail his "idea" to MB just in time to take credit for it on his blog. Genius!

I think more likely is decision was already made and when the next email arrived on the subject - hey lets use this for the PR story!

• Thanks 1

Corporate must have gotten a deal on all shades of blue paint. Here is a before and after of the Celebrity Equinox after its dry dock earlier this year: 

Before: 

82154EEB-DA5B-403B-984F-A9DB9B62D8C2.jpeg

After: 

C6391579-6D25-4E2B-92F2-BA6F91AD135C.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Not as bad as Epic😉

Agreed ... the Epic is one of  the ugliest afloat  (along with Celebrity Edge and the Quantum & Oasis classes here )  IMO.

Edited by F27TW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, F27TW said:

THE ugliest stern section of any ship (IMO) ..  what were they THINKING ????

I'd argue that the Oasis class stern is pretty bad too.  Looks like a hotel on a barge.

34 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I'd argue that the Oasis class stern is pretty bad too.  Looks like a hotel on a barge.

Agreed -- on a barge thats too small ..  the way the superstructure spills over the lower section (as opposed to  the Anthem pic above, which is the opposite extreme) ....  Oasis class look so top heavy and ungainly.    The last pretty class on RCCL was the Freedom Class (in my opinion) .. after that they were all just overgrown looking .. very ugly lines.

Edited by F27TW
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Corporate must have gotten a deal on all shades of blue paint. Here is a before and after of the Celebrity Equinox after its dry dock earlier this year: 

Before: 

82154EEB-DA5B-403B-984F-A9DB9B62D8C2.jpeg

After: 

C6391579-6D25-4E2B-92F2-BA6F91AD135C.jpeg

Dark blue + white = baby blue

16 hours ago, Hogbay said:

They're mostly going where the gym and spa currently is, at the front of the ship. All the spa and gym are being kicked out to a smaller area at the back.

4 hours ago, F27TW said:

Agreed -- on a barge thats too small ..  the way the superstructure spills over the lower section (as opposed to  the Anthem pic above, which is the opposite extreme) ....  Oasis class look so top heavy and ungainly.    The last pretty class on RCCL was the Freedom Class (in my opinion) .. after that they were all just overgrown looking .. very ugly lines.

I agree with you. But I think the ship designers put the empathize on how the ship looks on the inside, make sure there is enough public space & amenities  for 5,000 - 6,000 passengers while how a ship looks from the outside is a low priority.....if it's a concern at all.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 11:01 AM, retafcruiser said:

Is the use of TBT a thing of the past? It was supposedly great as a bottom coating.

It was GREAT.

For recreational boaters, it has been off the market for almost 30 years. 

• 2 weeks later...