More kids on X

Bootstrap77

6 hours ago, Bootstrap77 said:

I agree. I don’t recommend the line either to friends with families. I recommend it to singles and couples. What I have witnessed though unfortunately is that the parents will off load the kids to the grandparents and either the parent or grandparents will bring the kids to areas such as the martini bar and sunset bar. I witnessed a grandmother babysitting a toddler at sunset bar and she had the toddler catching ants crawling up the wall. Then there was the parent that parked the stroller at the martini bar while they got their drink on. Good for the parent for wanting a fun vacation but that’s Not what I want to see and experience on my vacation. 

Those grandparents  and parents would not be our family.  I don't like to  sit at bars anywhere and am not much of a drinker....we enjoy our family time.,.and would be glad to give our dtr anc sil some time "off duty".  Just like at home,

Guess some families are different!  

We have also witnessed kids being left in care all day on Royal C or even left on their own to roam with other teens!  Also on Royal out of Miami..kids and teens running amok day and night...lack of parental supervision and the ship security  was totally overwhelmed.  No programs fix that!  Very sad!

Edited by hcat

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Financially, it probably makes sense for them to do it although personally I hope they don't.  Silhouette's FVs are a whopping 618 sq ft in size on Deck 8 (Deck 7 FVs are slightly smaller) which puts it well into a suite category space-wise.  Compared to a classic suite floorplan, it lacks a walk-in closet and a more spacious (and well appointed) bathroom.  Our family of four loves those cabins, so I hope they leave it alone.

Also this would represent a change in plans (as I think you know) because we were booked in one of those FVs for Silhouette's first cruise coming out of drydock (Jan 31 2020 sailing, the ill fated 14 night S Carib).

Reflection FV 8107 Floor Plan.JPG

One bathroom????

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

One bathroom????

Yes, and it is the same standard sized/appointed bathroom that you will find in the non-suite staterooms.  It works very well for us but perhaps not for others.  And it is something that I am sure would get rectified if it were to be converted into a suite.

Oh, and also it only one set of electrical outlets located by the desk which is a bit in-congruent for its massive size.

But it is a great cabin for our family.

Edited by mahdnc

Thanks everyone for contributing.

My original question was not if X was right for kids or good/bad for kids. It seems like this thread took a turn towards that theme of topic.

It doesn’t matter to me if you think celebrity is good for kids,  I just don’t want to vacation with loads of them.  This is a debate that has and probably will continue to go on for many many posts......

I started this thread because I genuinely wanted to know if the kids sail free promo affected how many kids are on board. I don’t like sailing with infants and young children on board.  I don’t see that opinion changing any time soon. We are loyal celebrity passengers but because of the increase in families we are thinking of switching lines. Before we did I wanted to see if the trend that I’ve noticed is continuing and so I started this thread. 

Many of you have given me great ideas and tips. Thank you so much!!!

Longer cruises, non holiday times, aqua class.

Awesome ideas. I know there are no guarantees. But I’ll take the tips they are great. 

May all of your cruises be everything you wanted and more!!!!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bootstrap77 said:

My original question was not if X was right for kids or good/bad for kids. It seems like this thread took a turn towards that theme of topic.

It doesn’t matter to me if you think celebrity is good for kids,  I just don’t want to vacation with loads of them.  This is a debate that has and probably will continue to go on for many many posts......

I started this thread because I genuinely wanted to know if the kids sail free promo affected how many kids are on board. I don’t like sailing with infants and young children on board.  I don’t see that opinion changing any time soon. We are loyal celebrity passengers but because of the increase in families we are thinking of switching lines. Before we did I wanted to see if the trend that I’ve noticed is continuing and so I started this thread. 

Many of you have given me great ideas and tips. Thank you so much!!!

Longer cruises, non holiday times, aqua class.

Awesome ideas. I know there are no guarantees. But I’ll take the tips they are great. 

May all of your cruises be everything you wanted and more!!!!

Thanks for the follow up.  Threads have a way of going in uncertain directions on certain topics.  

My 2 cents on this is if you don't want a lot of kids on a cruise, I am guessing Celebrity is a good bet based on my 1 experience on the Edge and the average age of the cruisers and what I have read when these threads pop up. The thing is though since Celebrity is ok with kids cruising the line, you could see many kids or no kids depending on when you sail.

From our time on Disney, you will see a range of behavior from kids and parents of those kids. From wild and out of control to super polite and quiet. Just because they are on X doesn't mean they will be better behaved, heck Disney is a more expensive line now. If any one wants to sail without kids than a line that doesn't allow them would be the line for you.

This seems to me like the argument about people that move near an airport and then push back in the community because it is too loud. X allows kids, we all need to deal with it. I am just glad it isn't kid soup like Disney:)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bootstrap77 said:

As you know there are certain topics that will always go off the rails.  The subjects of tips, dress codes, saving pool chairs and ofc kids & dogs on board will always be a hot button. (Yes, I did just lump them together, sorry).

But towards your question, it does seem that many lines are trying to capture a younger audience and that includes those that have kids.  As an old-fart non-parent, I prefer to see no kids; but even the higher end lines such as Silver Sea are somewhat “promoting” kids. I’m not sure where you would switch to, as kids are everywhere.  Dealing with them  is a curse of getting older I guess. 😂

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bootstrap77 said:

Yes it does.

We've cruised RCL so far, and now for 2020 we are this * * close to booking Celebrity with our two kids.

Will the trend continue? Yes again. A quick look at a demographics chart. including where the "Baby boomer" generation currently sits, will draw a direct link to why cruise lines are going this route. Cruise lines need to capture a new market, which again re-inforces the fact that a Kids Sail Free promo WILL affect how many kids are on board. This applies to EVERY cruise line that isn't specifically "No Kids Allowed".

1 hour ago, NateUpNorth said:

Yes it does.

We've cruised RCL so far, and now for 2020 we are this * * close to booking Celebrity with our two kids.

Will the trend continue? Yes again. A quick look at a demographics chart. including where the "Baby boomer" generation currently sits, will draw a direct link to why cruise lines are going this route. Cruise lines need to capture a new market, which again re-inforces the fact that a Kids Sail Free promo WILL affect how many kids are on board. This applies to EVERY cruise line that isn't specifically "No Kids Allowed".

Celebrity needs to beef up the entertainment for adults because after my cruise on the Anthem I'm not looking to run back to Princess or Celebrity. I was born at the tail end of the baby boom and not interested in bingo, trivia  the lame shows they offer. My kids probably won't be sailing on Celebrity or Princess until they are my age. They have booked Royal, NCL and Carnival.  They actually have more cruises on Princess because that's what we booked when they were kids but there is nothing to entice them to that line now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

Celebrity needs to beef up the entertainment for adults because after my cruise on the Anthem I'm not looking to run back to Princess or Celebrity. I was born at the tail end of the baby boom and not interested in bingo, trivia  the lame shows they offer. My kids probably won't be sailing on Celebrity or Princess until they are my age. They have booked Royal, NCL and Carnival.  They actually have more cruises on Princess because that's what we booked when they were kids but there is nothing to entice them to that line now.

Early Gen Xers here...and we are in the same boat, so to speak.  We like the Celebrity product for the upscale feel but are not too impressed with the entertainment...at all.  Especially after being on several NCL cruises with our twenty-somethings where there are literally so many things to choose from, it would be a challenge to do them all.  Wouldn't dream of taking our adult kids, much less grand kids (if we have them someday) on a Celebrity cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Early Gen Xers here...and we are in the same boat, so to speak.  We like the Celebrity product for the upscale feel but are not too impressed with the entertainment...at all.  Especially after being on several NCL cruises with our twenty-somethings where there are literally so many things to choose from, it would be a challenge to do them all.  Wouldn't dream of taking our adult kids, much less grand kids (if we have them someday) on a Celebrity cruise.

The reason I was on the Anthem was because of my 24 year old. I thought I wouldn't like it (too many kids) but I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think I would sail Oasis class with or without kids. It's just too big. My wife thought Anthem was too big but we happen to pick a good location just by luck. It was close to all of the spots we hit most often.

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Guess you'd call our family dull and boring.

Not all concerned with bars and shows...just great food and service,  uncrowded and relaxing.  Nice non-party  demographic

And we are dreaming about a family cruise on X  in the near future, as soon as little guy is 4.   When grands become older and teens, then it'll  have to be Royal C.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

Not all concerned with bars and shows...just great food and service,  uncrowded and relaxing.  Nice non-party  demographic

And we are dreaming about a family cruise on X  in the near future, as soon as little guy is 4.   When grands become older and teens, then it'll  have to be Royal C.  

Lol...don't get me wrong...Celebrity is our go to line when its just DH and me...I view "dull and boring" more like calm and relaxing...both things I love about X.  

30 minutes ago, hcat said:

I’m right there with you in the “dull and boring” category. Solo Gen-Xer who cruises to relax and chill and does not need water slides and fake surfing things and ropes courses. Give me a lounger, the ocean, and a good book and I am a happy cruiser. I’m very picky about shows, and after being stuck mid-row with no escape for a nightmare of a show (hint - when the cruise Director introduces a show by saying “it...well, if you’ve been drinking it might make sense” RUN AWAY!), I make sure to sit on an aisle and towards the back so I can escape. I’ve normally done Disney which suits me well (if you are in the adult areas there are no kids...and most of the time I see them pleading to stay in the clubs - I saw more kids on HALon my one cruise with them than I feel like I have on Disney - because on HAL they refused to go in the club) - but I am excited to try Celebrity and see how I like it!

On 10/16/2019 at 8:51 PM, Bootstrap77 said:

We aren’t in a position to take a cruise longer than 10 days (give or take a day) but I have been told longer cruises have less families

We usually see very few children on cruises over 10 nights and if there are they generally are pre school age.