Celebrity Charging $1,800 Deposits For All Suites For the Last 15 Years?

Lastdance

I would like to know how many of you who book suites have been paying $1,800 deposit for the last 15 years or so.  I have never paid more than $900 except for Flora, which was $1,800.  I guess I have been very, very lucky all these years.  Chantal, from Celebrity told me this when I called to book a cruise I had on hold since 1:00 PM this afternoon.  

Her supervisor, Judy, said that is what it has been since she started with Celebrity 15 years ago.  Anyway, Celebrity's website and the person I spoke with earlier said that it was $900!  So, am I just the lucky one who always gets 1/2 deposits on suites?  Please chime in with your comments, as I find this very, very difficult to believe...Honestly, I wish that I was kidding, but I am not!  By the way, I was able to pay only a $900 deposit for being such a seasoned traveler with Celebrity...I also booked a cruise a few days ago, and I only paid a $900 deposit for a suite...

I had this happen to me once a couple of years ago.  It's only on CS and above.   Like others I've booked other CS and RS without an issue.   I'm sure if you were to book a lower category and then upgrade they wouldn't bat an eye.

I'd also question why they haven't been able to fix their website in 15 years to collect the proper deposit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I had this happen to me once a couple of years ago.  It's only on CS and above.   Like others I've booked other CS and RS without an issue.   I'm sure if you were to book a lower category and then upgrade they wouldn't bat an eye.

I'd also question why they haven't been able to fix their website in 15 years to collect the proper deposit.

Thank you for your comment.  I would also like to know that answer.  I happened to call again regarding another cruise, and was told that all of my past cruises in suites were most likely all promotions. Sometimes you just gotta LOL!  I book S1's, but hope to book higher suites if the prices become lower...this particular cruise was on Apex.  

Edited by Lastdance

If you look at your past guest invoices you will see there.  It's not been 15 years but has been at least 5.  You shouldn't be charged double deposit ever for Sky Suite categories.

This I copied from my 2014 invoice

North American bookings will require a 200% deposit of standard deposit amount for deluxe suite categories. This amount is not reflected in the total deposit
requirement listed above.

We have paid double for a suite above Sky Suite - $1000 for a 7 night cruise in a CS (2015), but have never paid double in a Sky Suite.

I did look at a recent Celebrity 2021/2022 brochure (about all X ships) and in the fine print in the back it had an interesting statement that I hadn't seen before:

image.thumb.png.505ee3b08aea70239d0e430ef4b90534.png

We haven't paid double deposits for the sky suites we have booked on the Edge and Apex, so imagine this is not being enforced, but it is weird that they are specifying Edge suites (including Sky).

Edited by vtcruising

17 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I would like to know how many of you who book suites have been paying $1,800 deposit for the last 15 years or so.  I have never paid more than $900 except for Flora, which was $1,800.  I guess I have been very, very lucky all these years.  Chantal, from Celebrity told me this when I called to book a cruise I had on hold since 1:00 PM this afternoon.  

Her supervisor, Judy, said that is what it has been since she started with Celebrity 15 years ago.  Anyway, Celebrity's website and the person I spoke with earlier said that it was $900!  So, am I just the lucky one who always gets 1/2 deposits on suites?  Please chime in with your comments, as I find this very, very difficult to believe...Honestly, I wish that I was kidding, but I am not!  By the way, I was able to pay only a $900 deposit for being such a seasoned traveler with Celebrity...I also booked a cruise a few days ago, and I only paid a $900 deposit for a suite...

We've only had one Suite (Sky Suite on Equinox) a little over 3 years ago.  Our deposit was $900.00.  We will have our second suite starting next week, but we upgraded after final payment.  Deposit wasn't a factor for the suite.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We have paid double for a suite above Sky Suite - $1000 for a 7 night cruise in a CS (2015), but have never paid double in a Sky Suite.

I did look at a recent Celebrity 2021/2022 brochure (about all X ships) and in the fine print in the back it had an interesting statement that I hadn't seen before:

image.thumb.png.505ee3b08aea70239d0e430ef4b90534.png

We haven't paid double deposits for the sky suites we have booked on the Edge and Apex, so imagine this is not being enforced, but it is weird that they are specifying Edge suites (including Sky).

Very interesting indeed, but this is Celebrity, and they are not always on the same page.  I was so surprised to hear that all suites have been 1,800 for the last 15 years!  Each time i check a booking on line, the deposit says 900.  I did ask one time if i could book for 450 for a suite, and was told yes for a cruise on Equinox...

Edited by Lastdance

1 minute ago, Lastdance said:

Very interesting indeed, but this is Celebrity, and they are not always on the same page.  I was so surprised to hear that all suites have been 1,800 for the last 15 years!

Crazy! I do remember the 200% rule for CS and above (found it on a 2014 invoice) - the other 2 times we had a CS was for a shorter cruise and one for a charter - I can't remember what we paid for a deposit on the short one. All SS have been regular deposits (except for our FPC charters, when it is $800PP for suites, but that is not controlled by X).

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

I was so surprised to hear that all suites have been 1,800 for the last 15 years!  Each time i check a booking on line, the deposit says 900.  I did ask one time if i could book for 450 for a suite, and was told yes for a cruise on Equinox...

I am not an expert, but I believe whoever told you there was an $1800.00 deposit is wrong.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Texed said:

I am not an expert, but I believe whoever told you there was an $1800.00 deposit is wrong.  

Two booking agents and one supervisor, so now three.  No matter what I said, I was told it was 1,800...It was unbelievable!

Edited by Lastdance