The Carnival Glory struck the Carnival Legend and almost hit the Oasis of the Seas

1 hour ago, CruiseKeeper said:

I need some of that OBC!  Had high anxiety watching out for the Oasis.  We have several cruises booked on her.  

Why is it when there is a crash of cruise ships, Carnival always seems to be involved.  

Carnival's new slogan:

Carnival, where even our Captain gets plastered !!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

@twangster

Fabulous photos! Thank you so  much.  I love the NCL photos, particularly the tracking map showing her turning around and hightailing it out of there.  But the many closeup photos of the Glory!  😲  Wow!

Right place, right time. 

I would have been in the SL finishing breakfast. 😥

Probably saying "wow, that ship is close"

Edited by John&LaLa

45 minutes ago, twangster said:

oa_glory-14.jpg

Like I said, it'll buff right out.

Biker, who hopes folks remember not to quote twangster's whole post and wonders if Carnival repairs crews are using his photos to start the repair plans already.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This shows how little maneuvering room there is between the piers.  Carnival Glory is the second from left and Carnival Legend the third from left.  My assumption is that Glory struck Legend while trying to abort the docking maneuver when she got out of place due to the wind.

C842EC58-7561-458D-BB49-804B200A2D8D.png

I understand based on news reports one passenger on the Glory was injured.  Thoughts and prayers for that individual.

Here is the video I shot from my balcony on Oasis.

Despite the collision with the Legend, the bridge crew on the Glory did a pretty spectacular job avoiding a collision with the Oasis.  When I first saw the bow of the Glory come into view it was close.  Too close.  It occured to me a collision was highly possible. 

As I was shooting the video I was keeping an eye on the stern of Glory.  It was getting closer.  I knew they couldn't apply a lot of stern thrust to keep the stern off us without driving the bow into the bow of Oasis.  As the bow of Glory began to clear the bow of Oasis I could see them apply stern thrust to avoid impact.  It was a tight near miss and excellent seamanship on their part to avoid a second collision.  

The wide angle lens is misleading.  The people on Glory were close.  I could have tossed them a bottle of water.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 11

The close up of the damage is unbelievable. Thankfully no one got seriously hurt. I read that Carnival said that the damage to either ship would not affect future cruises?? How can the damage to the Glory not affect the cruises? Isn't that the MDR? Gives new meaning to el fresco dining!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, payitforward said:

Thanks. With a prop and rudder system, I can better understand this accident in those winds.

Was on MSC Divina yesterday (prop and rudder) leaving in strong winds and we required tug assistance (not stand by; lines on assistance).  Looks like Carnival should have done the same.  

Hoping no one was injured 

12 minutes ago, Landsharks said:

I'm guessing the Harbor Pilot was in charge when this happened, not the Captain.

I used to think that, but I'm pretty sure the Captain is still at the helm.

Regardless, he's still in charge and can wave off the approach

Pilots are often there to advise, and satisfy contractual obligations. 💲💲

Makes you wonder why they decided to back the beast in

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

The close up of the damage is unbelievable. Thankfully no one got seriously hurt. I read that Carnival said that the damage to either ship would not affect future cruises?? How can the damage to the Glory not affect the cruises? Isn't that the MDR? Gives new meaning to el fresco dining!

Introducing the Carnival Box lunch and dinner!

Why bind yourself and sit down in the MDR when you can take a box of food and eat anywhere on the ship!

15 minutes ago, Landsharks said:

I'm guessing the Harbor Pilot was in charge when this happened, not the Captain.

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Regardless, he's still in charge and can wave off the approach

Pilots are often there to advise, and satisfy contractual obligations. 💲💲

There are some ports where a Captain turns over command of the ship to a pilot.  I strongly doubt this is one of them.  I have a high degree of certainty this will fall onto the Captain.  Even if the Staff Captain was bringing her in this time the Master would have been on the bridge and ultimately is responsible.  

55 minutes ago, CarpeCerevisi said:

This shows how little maneuvering room there is between the piers.  Carnival Glory is the second from left and Carnival Legend the third from left.  My assumption is that Glory struck Legend while trying to abort the docking maneuver when she got out of place due to the wind.

C842EC58-7561-458D-BB49-804B200A2D8D.png

That's simply no excuse. Somebody is in big, BIG trouble. Huge!

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

There are some ports where a Captain turns over command of the ship to a pilot.  I strongly doubt this is one of them.  I have a high degree of certainty this will fall onto the Captain.  Even if the Staff Captain was bringing her in this time the Master would have been on the bridge and ultimately is responsible.  

When I was there on Symphony, an officer was telling the group what he thought about the pilots in Cozumel. Something along the lines of good work if you can get it.  He also said other ports had pilots that were much more involved. 

It looks like there are a lot of people hanging over the edge trying to get pictures and video. Does anyone know if there are collision protocols where they try to keep passengers back from the edge? I would think a sufficient collision would jar the ship enough that someone leaning over could be knocked overboard.