Daily Gratuity Increase?

Haven't heard anything, and if it comes down to it, I'm not going to worry about $7 total on an average $1k+ cruise. The staff work hard any deserve every bit of that gratuity.

…. and now I'll go make some popcorn and enjoy the rest of this thread. 🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, BTHodgeman said:

Haven't heard anything, and if it comes down to it, I'm not going to worry about $7 total on an average $1k+ cruise. The staff work hard any deserve every bit of that gratuity.

Then maybe RC should pay them more.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, marci22 said:

Then maybe RC should pay them more.

And do you think they're going to do that and keep your fare the same? You are going to pay for any increases in costs that RC has, whether that's through a fare increase or a gratuity increase... 

Just now, BTHodgeman said:

And do you think they're going to do that and keep your fare the same? You are going to pay for any increases in costs that RC has, whether that's through a fare increase or a gratuity increase... 

As I said, great, do that. Stop calling it gratuities. Also this way everyone will pay it instead of just some.

• Like 8

Gratuities are a blight on the industry, staff should not be dependent on tips for the majority of their income, add the cost of the gratuities to the cruise fare and provide more transparency to the passengers.  We are traveling with a couple on their first cruise in Feb and I've had to explain to them about gratuities and it makes no sense to them.  I'm curious to see if the way Virgin Voyages prices their cruises will catch on. 

• Like 6

The staff work hard to send money home to their family.  They deserve the extra money that comes from tips .  One way or another we the cruisers will pay the increase.  I always pre pay mine and tip extra for good service

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cappy09 said:

The staff work hard to send money home to their family.  They deserve the extra money that comes from tips .  One way or another we the cruisers will pay the increase.  I always pre pay mine and tip extra for good service

Most of the “tip” money goes to bringing them up to their minim contract salary. Only a little is “extra money”. 

Here in the US, it is legal to pay [significantly] less than minimum wage to wait staff that are tipped. And a portion of their tips how to just getting them to [poverty level] minimum wage. Same on the ship. 

For example, in our Nation’s Capitol DC, the minimum wage is $12.50 per hour. Tipped restaurant workers can be paid as little as $3.33 per hour and the first $9.17 of tips per hour go to getting the to minimum wage. Works the same on the ship. 

Edited by BirdTravels

37 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

For example, in our Nation’s Capitol DC, the minimum wage is $12.50 per hour. Tipped restaurant workers can be paid as little as $3.33 per hour

The numbers have gone up a bit, $14 till July next year when it goes up to $15 and tipped positions goes from current $4.45 to $5.

Biker, who is waiting for the entertainment of the typical tipping thread.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Isn't it rude to ask someone's status?  😉😎

Or does that only apply when you ask about specific points? 😄

It is only rude when you tell someone your status before being asked. It is considered flaunting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

It is only rude when you tell someone your status before being asked. It is considered flaunting.

Thanks. I barley have a thin grasp on decorum in real life after 50+ years....as for learning Internet forum decorum, it'll probably never happen.

50 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I don’t think I asked. Just made an assumption. There was nothing rude about my statement. 

I know. Just making a wise crack, hence the winky faces,  as i believe it was you (or someone else) that was chastised / accused of being rude when asking about someone's status / point total.

If it was someone else, I apologize in advance for using you post in my reply.

They DO NOT GET the $14.50 per day pp.

We do that and $$$$ as well. They grab

our folded gift for them like sea gulls, disappears in a second.

It is not fair for them.

We tip steward $50/60.

Waiters $30.

Maitred $20 Asst. head waiter $15

Helpers $5

Watching them smile for all their hard work makes it meaningful for us.

When you are at guest services, pick up some free tipping envelopes,

they are on the counter.

We also bring two full suitcases of snack size candy for crew which the really enjoy. 🙂

TIP TIP TIP You will feel good about it. I know we do.

We are the Moore's

Brilliance 12/19

Rhapsody 2/22/20

Rhapsody 3/26/2020

Mardi Gras 10/24/2020

Drunken Sailer - Irish Rovers - YouTube.html

• Like 2