Enchanted... no library

phonejock

3 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

On my longer cruises with many sea days, I've always done jigsaw puzzles in the library.  Many people enjoy doing them.  I'll miss having space to do one this Fall on my Sky transatlantic cruise.

There are a lot of spaces to do a puzzle in the daytime on the Sky. You will find a spot easily including the pool deck (lots of tables and chairs around the perimeter), the Piazza, the Crown Grill lounge, the French restaurant.  Anything not open in the daytime was being used by people with all kinds of activities like card games and the like.

6 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Not on all ships.  I just spent 51 days on the Amsterdam and they have a very extensive library space.

While I was on the Eurodam for 28 days this past March and there's no library (any more).  The best they have is a small area in the Crow's Nest area with cubbies where people leave books.

On past cruises (prior to this past year) on HAL, there's been really big, good libraries on the ships we were on.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 11:53 PM, Cafedumonde said:

Ugh, this sucks.  The library is our favorite place.  I think I have to try HAL.  

HAL is  significantly reducing/eliminating Libraries on Vista, Signature and Pinnacle class vessels.  Only the S & R Class vessels are retaining a full library going forward.

6 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

HAL is  significantly reducing/eliminating Libraries on Vista, Signature and Pinnacle class vessels.  Only the S & R Class vessels are retaining a full library going forward.

Ugh.  I just don’t get this.  Libraries on ships are usually quite small— and almost always packed with people playing games or reading.   It is not like they have to take up much space and they are put to good use.

Edited by Cafedumonde
  • Like 2

No library on the Star.  There were a vvery few "donations" on the shelf but they were mostly technical stuff.  They had games you could take elsewhere and play but not there as it is now the internet computer room.  The walls were lined with glass covered book shelves that were empty (lol).  They have a daily sudoko and another puzzle at the entrance.

Celebrity has gone this way too.  Ripped out all the libraries as they redid the ships.  That was the first pace I always went.  I loved sailing out of Southampton because there were many English people on there who left their books (as I did too) and it was wonderful to get authors we usually don't see here.  Fortunately Eclipse has not been done yet and we sail on her next.

41 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

The Enchanted and Discovery will have the same public spaces as the Sky.

Actually not 100% true - Sky does not have a Crooners, but Enchanted and Discovery will.  Sky has Vines wine bar - Enchanted and Discovery will have the Salty Dog GastroPub instead.  A few other small changes as well, but essentially the same.  Still no libraries though

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

I have always prefer books.... what next Fahrenheit  451...

Luckily we do not fly to cruise. so pack books... ( they do not go flat )

Like so many things,  everything in on a screen....

One thing I started doing is making photo books of some of trips... to look at,  (as the walls are full of pictures)

Yes maybe one live in the past.....  I will go down the branch line instead

Cheers Don

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tucker in Texas said:

No library on the Star.  There were a vvery few "donations" on the shelf but they were mostly technical stuff. 

I have a cruise on the Star in the fall and am disappointed to read this!  I saw the library on the deck plan and was looking forward to it.  I'll still plan on ditching a book there though, I guess.  Sounds like donations might be appreciated.

On 1/17/2020 at 4:50 PM, stoneharborlady said:

Put me on that list please.  I despise Kindles and Nooks.  Happy for those that have them and love them, but for myself, I much prefer a real book.

I totally understand and agree! However, taking books on a flights and cruises is not really

practical anymore. So, our Kindles are our backup. Give me a real book anytime...

On 1/1/2020 at 1:28 PM, Clampram said:

I bought a Kindle 3 years ago just to cut back on the books in my luggage. I read fast and I love to read. I am surprised that I really love my Kindle and it's so easy to load and books are much cheaper or free depending on how you get them. I have not seen a good library in the last 5 years on any Princess ship........they've all been mostly empty, even on Day 1

For my Kindle reading friends: freebooksy.com

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marden1970 said:

Thanks jwattle, picked up a few good ones!

My pleasure! You can subscribe by genre and they'll email you each day. If you email me at Jwattle at Yahoo I also have Amazon's site for their free top 100 of each genre for Kindle 😀

Seems to me that a separate library on Princess ships was on the oldest ships--I remember them from past cruises.  There was a large table in the center of the room and I believe there were jigsaw puzzles available, too.  Then on the newer ships, the "library" became a wall in the computer room so there were far fewer books (and they might have been donated by pax who didn't want to take them home) and no reference books as in the prior separate library.  Must say the QV library pictured above is gorgeous.  Not surprised that ships like QE and QV that mostly do crossings would want to offer their pax a library.  (Have seen the QV in the Caribbean so not sure if it also does crossings.)

We have sailed on the Regal Princess several times. The library there was a narrow room with some shelves behind glass doors. Board games were available as well as some books. The space was across from the Crown Grill area. It was not very impressive.

I do recall larger libraries on the Grand Class ships. We would often pick up daily crossword puzzles there.

My DH has a Nook and I have the Nook app on my iPad. We no longer

look for available books while on vacation.  

I do appreciate reading a real book though. I enjoy those at home.

Princess is not the only cruise line to eliminate libraries on new-builds or refits of their ships.

Two years ago, we went to the library on the. Celebrity Summit. It was a 

two level room fit with a spiral staircase with comfortable chairs for reading. However,the book selection was scarce and on one of the levels they had the Concierge desk.  I have read that this library area was made into interior cabins during the refit last Spring.

Signs of the times,I suppose. 

On 1/1/2020 at 10:53 PM, Pam in CA said:

It’s not just about replacing the library with space to make money. Go anywhere on any ship and the vast majority of passengers are using a reader (Kindle, Nook, IPad, etc.) rather than a hard-covered book. Fewer and fewer people are reading paperback or hard cover books. It takes a lot of books to create a library as you have to offer a wide variety. 

I used to pack lots of books but now I just carry my Kindle around with me, whether at home or on a ship. It’s so easy (and free) to download e-books from the library. 

I'm a dinosaur, I love reading but with the real thing in my hands. Usually read at least 3 books on a 7 day cruise.

The Library was always a nice quiet space to visit and relax in - particularly to peruse a large reference-type of book off the shelf without taking it out or contributing to the puzzle solution. But a few too many folks would take out books permanently and that presumably was one of the factors in eliminating the space entirely. So too with the games that would regularly be returned - if they were returned at all - with missing pieces or beverage stains on the boards. 

Poor behavior/etiquette  by our passengers, as anyone who has wandered around the pool deck filled with comfy towels and bags lounging on the deck chairs knows, usually results with a change in policy to stem that behavior. Sad but true.

• Like 1