Toddler Death Law Suit Update

Wow, this video is incredible.  The step grandfather actually leaned out the window himself for a significant amount of time, then held her over the side for about thirty seconds before he lost his grip.  I cannot believe this video.  This lawsuit will be thrown out.  The step grandfather is lucky that he is not in jail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7903215/Video-grandfather-dangled-toddler-Royal-Caribbean-window-THIRTY-SECONDS.html#article-7903215

• Like 2

5 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Maybe it's just me but who encourages a small child to bang on glass??!

Having a smal child bang on glass is not the smaretest thing but did not put it into the situation the grandfather did. He picked it up and held it out of the window and then dropped it. Seriously the family still wants to blame the cruise line, now with the latest footage it is very clear tha all the blame is on the grandfather. The even is very tragic and loosing a child is the worst thing that can happen to someone but here it was pure stupidity and the family has no right to blame someone else for it.

• Like 3

I don't think the family should receive one cent.  I think they need to drop the lawsuit.

I don't think the grandfather should receive any jail time, he already is serving a life sentence and has to live with what he did.  No amount of punishment could be worse than knowing that by your actions alone, you caused this horrific tragedy. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, lupaglupa said:

This is what bugged me - early reports made it sound like the child was in a children only area instead of a part of the ship where many people go. Lots of places on the ship require caution. To describe the accident as a children's area is very misleading.

This happened right by the squeeze (pool bar). I like to play in that area,not my kids. You really got to love lawyers, 

• Like 6

I don't see how the "bang on glass" scenario holds up with the footage from the Daily Mail video.  He leans out the window himself for what they say is 8 seconds and then he picks her up and dangles her outside for what seems like at least another 8 seconds (FWIW, you cannot see the drop on this video, just the scrambling reactions to those on deck in the vicinity of the grandfather).  

It looks like more of a "Michael Jackson Scenario" (remember where he dangled one of his kids as an infant over a balcony for like 15-20 seconds to show him to the press below), rather than thinking glass was there when it wasn't and immediately losing his grip. 

I also agree that RCI is handling the lawsuit appropriately.  In this scenario, where there is so much pointing to the negligence of the grandfather - the less RCI comments about it, the better they look.  Hopefully at some point the family's attorney will come to the realization that he or she isn't going to make money on this case and will advise the family to drop it.  I would be very disappointed in RCI if they offer any kind of settlement to the family in this case.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, mediator said:

I don't think the family should receive one cent.  I think they need to drop the lawsuit.

I don't think the grandfather should receive any jail time, he already is serving a life sentence and has to live with what he did.  No amount of punishment could be worse than knowing that by your actions alone, you caused this horrific tragedy.

How do you know he is even troubled by it?

There are some sick people in the world.

• Like 4

No doubt GF made a hideous horrible decision...I am sure he wishes he could turn back time, for  the parents ,they need to grieve , stop wasting time $ and going after RCI, GF should  also should step up.. I compare  to the skier Bodie Miller whose toddler drowned in a neighbor’s pool... a child’s death occurring in an instant  a  circumstance that should have been better thought out, the GF should never have picked her up to the window The Miller family could have watched better, what ever it is,  BUT look at the grace and behavior of Bodie Miller, he did not sue that family that owned the pool, but went on every  media outlet to improve awareness of this.  This family needs to step back and think , that baby should have never been near that level of the window GF did  out her there...and yes  all of the thousands of cruises , this has not happened... HOWEVER Family is in horrible grief, Lawyers appear to take on any case....GF  , only he and God know what he is thinking.  I only hope and pray, (and I am not religious) this family gets someone to review the footage or advise of the footage so they can get on with grieving not wasting time and $, either way, my heart bleeds for the parents

I wish the posters would stop blaming the family's lawyer.  He's doing his job, which is to advocate for his clients. Remember that the family hired him to do this. And, the mother is a lawyer. The father is in law enforcement.  They are fully aware of what the hired lawyer is doing; he is presenting and pressing for their side of the lawsuit to prevail.  The US has an adversarial system of law in which each side presents their party's case before an impartial person or persons.  The attorney can only withdraw the lawsuit if the parents decide to withdraw. 

• Thanks 1

Bravo for Royal taking a stance to fight back against the liars, cheats, and thieves of the world. I remember the days of looking both ways before you cross the street. Now it's I'm walking and will sue whoever hits me. There's no need to virtue signal on how bad I feel for the family, because those feelings are standard to everyone.

• Like 9

I'm guessing the lawyer took the case on a contingency basis. His payment is a percentage of whatever the parents get. If they lose he gets nothing. But if the parents drop the case there is no possible payout, so they would have to pay the lawyer for all the hours he has put in so far.

58 minutes ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

I wish the posters would stop blaming the family's lawyer.  He's doing his job, which is to advocate for his clients. Remember that the family hired him to do this. And, the mother is a lawyer. The father is in law enforcement.  They are fully aware of what the hired lawyer is doing; he is presenting and pressing for their side of the lawsuit to prevail.  The US has an adversarial system of law in which each side presents their party's case before an impartial person or persons.  The attorney can only withdraw the lawsuit if the parents decide to withdraw. 

He could refuse to take the case based on morals alone. While this is horrible, blaming someone else and trying to get a payday is just wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

Sorry, I will blame the lawyer.  First, I'm willing to wager HE approached the family, NOT the other way around.  Of course, I could be wrong.  Second, regardless of who approached whom, I would have supported a court case that would ensure RCI wouldn't destroy any security footage, and would ask for a list of passengers so they could interview them.  Third, once the lawyer (or his team) go their hands on the security footage, they didn't go to the family and say "you should drop this case", they not only said the footage supports their stance, but EDITED the footage to make the GF out to be innocent and gave it to CBS.  

I'm guessing every lawyer in every city has told prospective clients "there's no case here", and probably have even told current clients "it's time to cut our losses."  The family, especially immediately following the tragedy, can at least claim they weren't "in their right minds" because of their grief.  The longer this drags on, the worse it looks (at least IMO) for the family AND the lawyer.

I understand the GF's lawyer in the criminal trial continuing to advocate for his client (but he should have recommended accepting the plea bargain, maybe he did).  But the lawyer in the civil case?  Nope, he and the family need to accept the facts.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

He could refuse to take the case based on morals alone. While this is horrible, blaming someone else and trying to get a payday is just wrong.

You mean a lawyer that has morals?? LOL

They are harder to find than Luke Skywalker!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SewMuch said:

But if the parents drop the case there is no possible payout, so they would have to pay the lawyer for all the hours he has put in so far.

I don't think that's the case (that the parents would have to pay if they drop the case).  

• Like 1

The family lawyer knows by simple observation of the two videos that Royal Caribbean is NOT at fault.

The judge should dismiss the case against Royal Caribbean, then force the attorney to pay all court costs and also all legal fees that Royal Caribbean has spent in their defense from the day the family attorney was presented with the un-altered videos. 

Maybe ( I wish ) the judge would move to disbar the attorney for creating a frivolous law suit. It might serve as a lesson to prevent this type of litigious  BLACKMAIL.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I don't think that's the case (that the parents would have to pay if they drop the case).  

The lawyer gets paid if they win, I don’t think he gets anything if they lose (I see a lot of ambulance chasing law firm commercials).

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

The lawyer gets paid if they win, I don’t think he gets anything if they lose (I see a lot of ambulance chasing law firm commercials).

Right.  But if you read the post I quoted, that poster said the family would have to pay the lawyer for all of his costs if they withdraw the suit.  I truly hope that's not the case.

Just now, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Right.  But if you read the post I quoted, that poster said the family would have to pay the lawyer for all of his costs if they withdraw the suit.  I truly hope that's not the case.

The sad part to all these cases is that the lawyer is in a win win position. If he wins after a few hours in court he gets as great payday. If he loses he lost a few hours of his and his assistant's time.  If he had to pay court costs and legal fees to who he was suing or had his license suspended for a month or two It would be a rather different story..