PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

14 minutes ago, 2cruizinfools said:

FYI State of Emergency declared in Broward County

3 of the 4 confirmed cases in Broward work at Port Everglades.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/state-of-emergency-declared-in-broward-county-after-4th-case-of-covid-19-confirmed/

Horrible News, potentially compromising current and future cruises, as well as those disembarking, and co-workers.

Be careful people.  Company in question (three confirmed coronavirus cases amongst its employees) is the one that specifically services Princess Cruises @ Port Everglades.  This means terminal employees and luggage handlers.

More info:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coronovirus-metro-services-everglades-20200310-ocpt7i4jrzhdfkd5ilbp6sypte-story.html

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The difference is that a cruise ship isn't a means of transportation. It's leisure travel that can be eliminated where the other forms of transportation are a necessity. 

True, but would you be willing to get on a crowded subway car if you knew there was a high probability that one or more people on that car had the virus?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chamima said:

And, as far as I know, they still don't know how he was infected!

Correct, but now his entire city is under quarantine. About 80,000 people.

Maybe now cruise ships will not be considered as the only likely source of the virus.

• Like 3

This is of great concern because it affects thousands of people who have recently cruised in and out of there! I wish they’d give more info about when they worked and how they think they were infected. Hopefully that will come out as they investigate because there could be thousands of former cruise pax walking around infected in our country with no clue. 

I also think of the sweet employees we came into contact with boarding and disembarking our December cruise in Port Everglades and hope it was none of them. Many of them fall into that high risk age category. 

12 hours ago, disneycruisinsusan said:

I agree with you 100%! That was my thought exactly when I heard the crew has to stay onboard!  Where will the ship go? Who is treating the crew members who are sick and who is making sure it is not going to spread to other crew menbers? It is insane to keep the crew together on that ship, COVID19 positive and negative alike! Unbelievable how they are being treated. 😞😞😠😠

And now the Grand will HAVE to be cleaned and refurbed like the Diamond! All soft goods will have to be destroyed, the ship completely sanitized! Are they expecting the crew now still onboard to start this clean-up?  

We have a good friend who works onboard, my hubby's best buddy!  He says he is okay! Tomorrow we will text him to see what more is going on IF they have still have Wi-Fi With no passengers onboard, it may be very limited.... 😞😞 We have not heard much from him in 2 days...so they may be restricting their access. 

Our prayers are with the crew still onboard  the Grand and all the passengers who disembarked in Monday....GOD Bless them all....🙏🙏🙏🙏💙💙💙💙

We were supposed to be on the Grand on April 5 starting two back-to-back 15 day Hawaii cruises for the whole month of April, but not now!!!! No way! I don't think the April cruises will happen anyway with the Grand the way it is right now!  We won't be cruising for a while, til this virus is under control or gone! We do have reservations for a South Pacific cruise for October, but we shall see what happens.....

Do you think those in charge have not thought of your questions and come up with solutions? Quite possibly the crew are better protected than those who are taken off the ship in groups and put on buses and planes.

How long do you think a virus can survive without a host? Sanitizing will be sufficient and anything further is only to appease people who don’t know better. There is nothing wrong with expecting HEALTHY crew members to continue working at something.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, RNCheryl said:

First I've seen it  (and I live if FLL).  Doesn't make it any less concerning.

It's been on all of our local news but most only concentrate that they work at the port.  

I realize that Princess has mainly been in the news and they keep concentrating on that.  However, as someone who lives very close to Port Miami, I realize that it's all around us and just starting to come to light.  One of these days more stories and cases will come to light and the spotlight will be taken off Princess cruises and other cruise lines will be mentioned a lot more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, caribill said:

True, but would you be willing to get on a crowded subway car if you knew there was a high probability that one or more people on that car had the virus?

Honestly there is more than a probability that more than one person in the subway has something sinister to offer at any point in time. Yet it doesn't seem to bother the thousands who cram into  buses and subways on a daily basis. One of whom is my wife who has been doing it for 20yrs now. She also works in a hospital Monday thru Friday.  Unless we win the lottery tonight she will continue doing it.  As a side note one of the Administrators asked her if she would be able to do her job from home so they are gearing up for the worst.  My son who works for a large bank was told that if they shut down the subways they will be closing all of the branches in Manhattan and he will be paid for 14 days to stay home.  

Edited by Iamcruzin

3/10/2020-Real-time updates: 25 corona virus deaths among more than 267 cases in Washington.

Gov. Jay Inslee said Tuesday that up to 64,000 people could be infected within two months if actions aren't taken now to stop its spread. Let's see what this does to Princess Alaska cruises this summer?

1 minute ago, nooptere said:

3/10/2020-Real-time updates: 25 corona virus deaths among more than 267 cases in Washington.

Gov. Jay Inslee said Tuesday that up to 64,000 people could be infected within two months if actions aren't taken now to stop its spread. Let's see what this does to Princess Alaska cruises this summer?

Just Princess ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coronovirus-metro-services-everglades-20200310-ocpt7i4jrzhdfkd5ilbp6sypte-story.html

According to this article, and quite a few other related articles posted today, four employees from the company used by Princess to greet and process passengers at Port Everglades, have tested positive for COVID-19. The company is Metro Cruise Services and the employees were working between February 12 and March 6, dealing with all Princess ships out of this port. 
The job descriptions of these people were wide and varied and included the people who check you in and give you your passes or medallions.

In another article, officials urged passengers, as well as other Metro Cruise Services employees, who had been through Port Everglades during this time period and who were experiencing symptoms to self quarantine and contact their heath providers with the information. We were through this port during this time period and I’m pretty sure others on this board were, also. We thought this information should be passed along.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Princess Cruises ships currently out of service:

Diamond Princess: Tokyo (cleaning / on hold)
Sapphire Princess: Singapore (non-scheduled dry dock)
Majestic Princess: Singapore (scheduled dry dock)
Grand Princess: Oakland (deboarding / cleaning / on hold)
Royal Princess: San Pedro (on hold)
Regal Princess: on its way to Freeport (without Pax)
Caribbean Princess: no sail order from CDC, returning to PEF

Am I missing something?

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Horrible News, potentially compromising current and future cruises, as well as those disembarking, and co-workers.

How can Princess not offer our payments back when the Port employees could even be infected.  I would like the choice of purchasing a future cruise when I feel its safe, not Future Cruise Credits to use within the year.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lemonslikethefruit said:

How can Princess not offer our payments back when the Port employees could even be infected.  I would like the choice of purchasing a future cruise when I feel its safe, not Future Cruise Credits to use within the year.  

Why would it only be Princess? It's not THEIR port... the employees are port employees I believe...

Edited by jwattle
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Why would it only be Princess? It's not THEIR port... the employees are port employees I believe...

They work for a company (Metro Cruise Services) that Princess hired to staff port functions.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

We have read a lot of great and bad things going on with the virus. Now here is my question would you do something different on how princess is handling it and what would you do once this is over to get old and new customers back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great question! I would most likely not do anything different as of now. After the bottoms falls in the industry, I might offer  more incentives or all-inclusive deals to get people to book like beverage packages. Heck, I'd bring back happy hour at Crooners. That might do it. 

• Like 1

Today we had a wonderful experience with Princess getting us on the March 14th cruise as our March 7th cruise was cancelled.  They were able to get us the same room (there were A LOT of cabins to choose from!) at the same price. So we really received a future cruise from our FCC.  I couldn't get anywhere with regular reservation agents, but after being transferred to customer relations, they really worked hard to take care of us.  

That being said, it took me a couple of days and a lot of work to get this done. But, we have to understand that this kind of situation is unprecedented so we are all figuring it out as we go.  I think Princess has made some big mistakes, but we all have when we are dealing with something new.  Every cruise I take leads me to new information and learning from new mistakes.  In the long run, Princess has worked hard to take care of their customers.  It's hard to give Princess grace sometimes because we are talking about a lot of our money and our valuable time.  But I learned that they are reasonable people and want to make us happy.  We received our money back, a free cruise and a night in a hotel.  What else could they do? 

Although, a sandwich would have been nice after sitting in the terminal for eight hours.  

This is our first cruise with Princess and I don't think it will be our last.  

Edited by jp2746
  • Like 3

What a great question! I would most likely not do anything different as of now. After the bottoms falls in the industry, I might offer  more incentives or all-inclusive deals to get people to book like beverage packages. Heck, I'd bring back happy hour at Crooners. That might do it. 

I agree princess has done a great job and I think moving forward the cruise lines will need to win people back with perks and price but I think it will come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk