Suite guests in Blu - enough!

phoenix_dream

4 minutes ago, misterkevin said:

You can pretty much request anything in Luminae if you are nice about it and give the kitchen at least one day advance notice. If you want chicken prepared different ways every night, tell them. They will do their best to accommodate you. Some people just want a filet and a baked potato every night, and that's what they can order. Others have reported having the Luminae chefs prepare a complete Indian feast of the chef's whim which certainly wasn't on the menu. The motto in suites from a service standpoint is always say yes. As long as the requests aren't demands nor outlandish, you should be fine.

Pushka, please kindly note from misterkevin.  I do not think because you have dietary restrictions and you are travelling in a suite that you should be entitled to dine in BLU which is for AQua guests.  Just my thoughts.  Yep.... it kinda sounds that you might be a first timer in an "entitled" suite.  Safe travels.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Pam said:

Pushka, please kindly note from misterkevin.  I do not think because you have dietary restrictions and you are travelling in a suite that you should be entitled to dine in BLU which is for AQua guests.  Just my thoughts.  Yep.... it kinda sounds that you might be a first timer in an "entitled" suite.  Safe travels.

Please check the Celebrity website. Dining in Blu on availability is a Suite benefit. Nasty comment re entitlement. The point of my comment, which you seemed to have missed, is that I am trying to avoid eating in Blu and you are trying to make me sound like an entitled prat! 

I did post, before your post above, my thanks to those who were helping me with suggestions and in fact had liked that post immediately but once again you seem to have missed that in your entitlement rant. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2

Puska when we have been on  a S class ship  we were able to order off the MDR menu  in Luminae as they share a kitchen.   On  a M class ship we have been able to  order off both the MDR and Blu menus as the 3 kitchens are in the same location.  On the Edge that doesn't work but Edge does have some everyday items in addition to the daily Luminae offerings.

I cant eat any fish/seafood and have not had a problem getting something I enjoyed for dinner in Luminae. 

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Pleas read the earlier post and you’d find I’m going in a Suite but if I can only get seafood in Luminae then I likely be eating in Blu which is exactly pertinent to this topic. Thankyou to those people who are helping me avoid cramping up Blu unnecessarily. 

I am sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Again, Take Care.

Regards,

Pam

• Like 1

To say you have to eat in Blu because you don't eat seafood (or was it can't eat meat?)  is ridiculous.  They have an array of ALL the options in ALL the dining rooms (MDR, Blu, Luminae) every single night.  You may not like the preparation or sauce they have featured, but that is easily changed.

We have noticed that the same thing shows up on the different menus on different nights.  Let's say you like prime rib.  Or short ribs.  Or shrimp.  Or sea bass.  Maybe Luminae will have it first, then Blu will have it on a different night, and the MDR on a different night.  There are only so many "things" in the world.  It will come up in the rotation.  No need to run around to different dining rooms.

And if you want the same thing every night you can have the "everyday" items in Luminae and Blu.

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

I didn’t realise the menu in Luminae was so heavily oriented towards seafood. 

It isn’t, don’t worry on that score.

i don’t eat fish by choice, and over 14 nights I never saw a menu that was dominated by fish.

There will be a fish dish each night, but also something using chicken and another meat option, beef, pork, lamb etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warmwinds said:

To say you have to eat in Blu because you don't eat seafood (or was it can't eat meat?)  is ridiculous.  They have an array of ALL the options in ALL the dining rooms (MDR, Blu, Luminae) every single night.  You may not like the preparation or sauce they have featured, but that is easily changed.

We have noticed that the same thing shows up on the different menus on different nights.  Let's say you like prime rib.  Or short ribs.  Or shrimp.  Or sea bass.  Maybe Luminae will have it first, then Blu will have it on a different night, and the MDR on a different night.  There are only so many "things" in the world.  It will come up in the rotation.  No need to run around to different dining rooms.

And if you want the same thing every night you can have the "everyday" items in Luminae and Blu.

If people only wanted to eat in MDR then maybe they wouldnt want to pay for a suite? And on Edge the menus in Luminae arent able to access MDR meals.

Anyways, with the info provided here I can get myself sorted nicely and dont plan to take up Blu space which I know when we cruised in Aqua can be a space issue.  I usually only cruise in Verandahs which seems much simpler and usually cheaper - except for this deal I snagged.

I do actually like the buffet and the curries are fabulous. 

Speaking of Blu, on Equinox we requested a special curry night in advance and on the day booked, they provided a splendid banquet of tastes just for us and pretty much everyone around us was drooling!  We were booked in Aqua (not a suite).

6 hours ago, SunsetPoint said:

That is your opinion. One which is apparently not shared by everyone if 1/3 of the suite guest are "slumming" in Blu.  :classic_biggrin:

There was ONE cruise mentioned about "1/3" of guests using Blu.  No way it was true on the 5 different cruises we've been on in suites with Luminae….the venue was too busy to have 1/3 of guests going elsewhere.

Also, it's not just my opinion, Blu is great, Luminae is a step up by all accounts even the majority posting here.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pushka said:

As I’m on a carb restricted diet that leaves  chicken and meat. Is this the ‘always available’ item that is prepared the same way each night or a differently prepared item?  Hoping for the latter 

We generally adhere to a low-carb lifestyle and although we relax our restrictions while on vacation, I always look at menus with an eye to minimizing excess starch. Luminae's menu includes four main dishes each night, at least one of which will be chicken/beef/pork/lamb. There is also a vegetarian entree (almost never low carb and extremely uninspired, IMO) and at least one seafood option, sometimes two. My husband doesn't eat much fish or shellfish and because of this he occasionally struggled to find something interesting on Luminae's menu - there was always a non-fish option but not necessarily an interesting one!

That said, the preparations of any protein vary and may not always be low-carb friendly, but many of Luminae's meat dishes consist of a relatively plain protein (herb coated rack of lamb, grilled beef, etc) served atop a vegetable puree (sometimes carby, like potatoes; other times a lower carb option like cauliflower). It is easy enough to just eat the protein and skip the carbs puree if necessary, or you can speak with your waiter about your dietary needs and they will make sure to prepare something that will work for you. The preparations of the "always available" menu don't change on paper, but I have no doubt the chefs in Luminae would be happy to serve you a different sauce/side dish/vegetable upon request to keep you from getting bored.

• Like 1

Even in the main dining room you can ask for any meal to be "no starch". On my 3rd meal of saying, no potato/bread/pasta/rice our waiter asked if I would like all of my selections to be "no starch". After that I didn't have to say how to modify my meal, he just did it. I also asked for a platter of steamed non-starchy vegetables for the table to share. Many of the meals are pleasing to the eye but lack sufficient vegetables, IMHO. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SunsetPoint said:

That is your opinion. One which is apparently not shared by everyone if 1/3 of the suite guest are "slumming" in Blu.  :classic_biggrin:

First off not in any way is that number correct.  And nobody is slumming on any part of a Celebrity ship.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Also, it's not just my opinion, Blu is great, Luminae is a step up by all accounts even the majority posting here.

But still, an opinion not shared by all, as everyone has their own opinion of what makes a restaurant or dining room "the best." 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

And nobody is slumming on any part of a Celebrity ship.

Oh, I absolutely agree!  That's why "slumming" was in quotes and the sentence was followed by a grinning emoji. 

I was simply interjecting a bit of humor because I feel that some on here can be a little too emphatic about touting the "class distinctions" between the onboard guests.  I sometimes feel like I'm on the Titanic discussion board.

• Haha 1

Luminae is by no means "seafood heavy."  For dinner, there is always one fish dish and one seafood-based appetizer.  The rest of the menu is nowhere near the water.  The best thing to do when ordering is to look at the underlying dish and ignore the rest of the description.  I've also not been steered wrong by any waiter recommendations.  And, of course, if you don't like what you get, they'll happily replace it with something else.  

10 minutes ago, SunsetPoint said:

But still, an opinion not shared by all, as everyone has their own opinion of what makes a restaurant or dining room "the best." 

The overall quality of food served in Luminae is the best of any of the non-fee-based dining rooms on the ship.  That is an objective statement.  Whether or not you care for their preparations is an opinion.  Anyone who doesn't have baby tastes should be just fine with the quality & selection.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SunsetPoint said:

Oh, I absolutely agree!  That's why "slumming" was in quotes and the sentence was followed by a grinning emoji. 

I was simply interjecting a bit of humor because I feel that some on here can be a little too emphatic about touting the "class distinctions" between the onboard guests.  I sometimes feel like I'm on the Titanic discussion board.

Sorry!  Missed the emoji! Totally agree with you there and I know that any post that involves a suite discussion (no matter how well intentioned to bring up a relevant topic)  here on CC becomes tiresome (to me anyway) pretty quickly as it diverges into snide remarks and of course the class distinction comments and the steerage from Titanic comments. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Are there really that many “picky” eaters?  No wonder chicken nuggets are so profitable on land. 

When I bought a new microwave about 10 years ago, it drove me crazy that so many of them had a dedicated button for heating chicken nuggets.  Not just a reheat setting; a button!  Luckily, the one we liked didn't have it.

Flash forward two years, and we have to move.  First thing I notice in the new house: chicken nuggets button on the microwave!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

When I bought a new microwave about 10 years ago, it drove me crazy that so many of them had a dedicated button for heating chicken nuggets.  Not just a reheat setting; a button!  Luckily, the one we liked didn't have it.

Flash forward two years, and we have to move.  First thing I notice in the new house: chicken nuggets button on the microwave!

Try an Air Fryer - better than microwaving!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Are there really that many “picky” eaters?  No wonder chicken nuggets are so profitable on land. 

LOL-- Next time you are on a ship take a look in the Oceanview Cafe and see which stations are the busiest .

For sure it's not the selection of Asian or Indian which are both very good.

If there were chicken nuggets there would be fist fights, even worse than at the outdoor grill for the hamburgers and cold fries.

2 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

Even in the main dining room you can ask for any meal to be "no starch". On my 3rd meal of saying, no potato/bread/pasta/rice our waiter asked if I would like all of my selections to be "no starch". After that I didn't have to say how to modify my meal, he just did it. I also asked for a platter of steamed non-starchy vegetables for the table to share. Many of the meals are pleasing to the eye but lack sufficient vegetables, IMHO. 

Ask for additional veggies   

3 hours ago, Alsmez said:

Luminae's menu includes four main dishes each night, at least one of which will be chicken/beef/pork/lamb. There is also a vegetarian entree (almost never low carb and extremely uninspired, IMO) and at least one seafood option, sometimes two.

Oops - that should say FIVE main dish options each night. No longer editable. The 7-night menus with many photos of various dishes are included in my recent review: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2667167-the-ultimate-luminae-review-51919-summit-to-bermuda/