Anthem now going to Bermuda

25 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Anthem will dock at Heritage Wharf. Looking at Bermuda 2020 cruise ship schedule (http://www.marops.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/2020 Cruise Ship Schedule.pdf ) , they will be 2 other cruise ships docked at Heritage Wharf in February

Ok, same place... Dockyard.... different pier. However, I was unaware that Bermuda now has ships arriving outside of what used to be a very set, and controlled, cruise ship season.

• Like 1

Cruise ships do rarely stop in Bermuda this time of year. Look up their port schedules. If I could jump on this cruise, I would as I'm assuming there will be a lot of cancellations and the last minute fair should be cheap just so RCCL can fill some rooms.

14 hours ago, joand452 said:

Bermuda is beautiful, but what is there to do in February?  

Sis and I were there the weekend before Thanksgiving for 4 nights... hoping to snorkel but way too windy/choppy the first 2 days and the next 2 I was able to swim in the ocean (72 water and air and still breezy) but sis thought too cold... couldn't see my knees in the water so snorkeling was out. I'd been twice before and snorkeling had been the focus... this was still relaxing and fun.

What we did:

Climbed Gibbs Lighthouse and enjoyed the view

Walked the beach path from Horseshoe Bay to Warwick Long Bay (beautiful pink sand!)

Took bus to St. George's and walked around/walked up to Tobacco Bay

Climbed Church of the Most Holy Trinity tower and enjoyed the view

Window shopped in Hamilton

Visited the Bermuda National Gallery

Visited the Crystal Caves

Enjoyed breakfasts and dinners at Pompano Beach Club where we stayed, tried Bermuda fish chowder

Viewed the elementary school decorated Christmas trees and window shopped at the Wharf, visited the Bermuda Glass and Bermuda Rum Cake Company

Edited by twins_to_alaska
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

Sis and I were there the weekend before Thanksgiving for 4 nights... hoping to snorkel but way too windy/choppy the first 2 days and the next 2 I was able to swim in the ocean (72 water and air and still breezy) but sis thought too cold... couldn't see my knees in the water so snorkeling was out. I'd been twice before and snorkeling had been the focus... this was still relaxing and fun.

What we did:

Climbed Gibbs Lighthouse and enjoyed the view

Walked the beach path from Horseshoe Bay to Warwick Long Bay (beautiful pink sand!)

Took bus to St. George's and walked around/walked up to Tobacco Bay

Climbed Church of the Most Holy Trinity tower and enjoyed the view

Window shopped in Hamilton

Visited the Bermuda National Gallery

Visited the Crystal Caves

Enjoyed breakfasts and dinners at Pompano Beach Club where we stayed, tried Bermuda fish chowder

Viewed the elementary school decorated Christmas trees and window shopped at the Wharf, visited the Bermuda Glass and Bermuda Rum Cake Company

It is a different cruise now given Bermuda is a Summer spot.  I have to think that many that cruise out of the NYC area in the middle of winter are adventure seekers or they would just fly to Miami or San Juan?  I mean some of those seas out of NYC at this time of the year can be bad. Good suggestions above for those going on this cruise and great news about no corona virus confirmed.

4 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

I'd definitely be disappointed if I was planning on heading south to warmer water/climes and now had my cruise shortened and going north. I hope those going still have a good time!

First off Bermuda is still south of New York.  Second, the original itinerary had the cruise stopping in Port Canaveral as well as the Bahamas.  We had family in Orlando 2 weeks ago when it was in the 50s and 60s.  Going to Florida or the Bahamas in winter you need to expect it can be chilly.  Bermuda is usually a bit cooler but looks like it will be very nice for cruisers there this week.  Maybe no water activities but there is a lot more to do on the island that is not water related.

10 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Oh no. Bermuda instead of Nassau and Port Canaveral. :classic_laugh:

I have been thinking the same thing!!  Of course the whole situation is unfortunate with the delays and changes. But that aside, Bermuda is leaps and bounds above ANYWHERE in FL or the Bahamas. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Ok, same place... Dockyard.... different pier. However, I was unaware that Bermuda now has ships arriving outside of what used to be a very set, and controlled, cruise ship season.

It is the cruise lines that choose when to sail to Bermuda. Bermuda will take ships all year If they want to send them.. They have not set the season, the weather has set the season. Because of water temperature and air temperature most tourists which includes cruise passengers find April to October  most desirable. So cruise lines schedule most of their calls those months. 

You can't please everyone.

For me, I have never been to Bermuda, so that would be new. 

I'd just be happy on vacation, even though not ideal -- I get it -- but you can sulk and complain or enjoy what's left on your vacation time.

• Like 3

The high today in Bermuda is forecast to be 68 degrees, Monday, high of 67. Granted, it's not swimming weather, but it's beautiful weather for sightseeing the lovely island of Bermuda. It's a beautiful place...see as much as you can in the time you are there.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is the cruise lines that choose when to sail to Bermuda. Bermuda will take ships all year If they want to send them.. They have not set the season, the weather has set the season. Because of water temperature and air temperature most tourists which includes cruise passengers find April to October  most desirable. So cruise lines schedule most of their calls those months. 

Ok Charles. In the past Bermuda used to go as far as limiting the number of cruise passengers that could be brought to the island. Activities on the ship were tightly controlled while the ship was docked. Obviously, as I previously alluded to, things gave changed over the years.

2 minutes ago, fair-winds39 said:

The high today in Bermuda is forecast to be 68 degrees, Monday, high of 67. Granted, it's not swimming weather, but it's beautiful weather for sightseeing the lovely island of Bermuda. It's a beautiful place...see as much as you can in the time you are there.

Perfect sightseeing weather.

6 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

The Winter ferry & bus schedule may be an issue for people to get around the island.  🍷

The bus schedule is on the same schedule as during the summer. No change. The ferry schedule is pretty much the same to Hamilton. The ferries don’t run to St. George’s during the winter. You can pretty much get around to anywhere on public transportation except St, George’s. There is still the private transportation option to St. George and for those going their first time or who have only gone to the beach I recommend a taxi tour.