How the Heck Is This Even Possible??

Lady Arwen

In November 2020, during the Thanksgiving sale, we booked Reflection 2021 April Trans-Atlantic.  We booked a 1A balcony cabin with three perks and an extra $200.00 OBC for a grand total of $4500.00 (Canadian) for both of us.  Today the same cruise in the same category and the same perks (less $200.00 OBC) is $8900.00 (CA)!!  That is a 100% increase in 3 months!  Wow, this is crazy.  Has anyone else seen such a huge increase in prices?  I'm literally in shock.

1 minute ago, Lady Arwen said:

In November 2020, during the Thanksgiving sale, we booked Reflection 2021 April Trans-Atlantic.  We booked a 1A balcony cabin with three perks and an extra $200.00 OBC for a grand total of $4500.00 (Canadian) for both of us.  Today the same cruise in the same category and the same perks (less $200.00 OBC) is $8900.00 (CA)!!  That is a 100% increase in 3 months!  Wow, this is crazy.  Has anyone else seen such a huge increase in prices?  I'm literally in shock.

Prices for a 2021 cruise make no difference. You can cancell and rebook or get a reduction in price until final payment if from the US and was told Canada too.

The prices are high most likely because TAs have their group blocks holding cabins thus it shows few cabins available. The August TA via Greenland is moving up in price with Veranda except for obstructed showing guarantee only! Very long till that cruise.

The upcoming TA to Southampton has inside as low as $389 as of yesterday. Down about 60% in a couple weeks.

5 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Prices for a 2021 cruise make no difference. You can cancell and rebook or get a reduction in price until final payment if from the US and was told Canada too.

The prices are high most likely because TAs have their group blocks holding cabins thus it shows few cabins available. The August TA via Greenland is moving up in price with Veranda except for obstructed showing guarantee only! Very long till that cruise.

The upcoming TA to Southampton has inside as low as $389 as of yesterday. Down about 60% in a couple weeks.

Sorry, your reply confuses me.  We have the cruise booked at the low price for the 2021 TA, but if someone books it now it's 100% higher and lots of cabins are showing as available.  We've been sailing with Celebrity for 25 years and never seen such a large increase in price.

We always book our cruises early. If the price for that specific cruise goes up in price or is offering fewer bundled perks, no biggie. However,  if the price goes down or bundled perks increases for the same price I'd be concerned if we couldn't get the savings. 

We have a TransPacific booked for May 2021 and looked at TA's for that timeframe if we decided to change/cancel that one.  I was shocked at the inflated pricing of both Celebrity and Royal for the Spring 2021TA's.  Unless you book as soon as sailings come on line, you can almost fuhgeddaboutit.  🍷

• Like 1

price fluctuations are normal. up and down.

Wait until 45 days before your cruise and that same cabin will likely be 50% DOWN.  But minus any perks, so you're likely happy with your deal, which in the end, is ALL that matters! 

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

We have a TransPacific booked for May 2021 and looked at TA's for that timeframe if we decided to change/cancel that one.  I was shocked at the inflated pricing of both Celebrity and Royal for the Spring 2021TA's.  Unless you book as soon as sailings come on line, you can almost fuhgeddaboutit.  🍷

Yes, I agree!  It's still 15 months out from sailing and to some folks booking now IS early.  Glad we booked as soon as it became available.

1 minute ago, justcrusn said:

price fluctuations are normal. up and down.

Wait until 45 days before your cruise and that same cabin will likely be 50% DOWN.  But minus any perks, so you're likely happy with your deal, which in the end, is ALL that matters! 

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you and yes we're happy.  But after 25+ years with Celebrity, a 100% fluctuation in price is extreme.

17 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Look at any of the more unique itineraries, especially the nine night Caribbean sailings and you will see some crazy price fluctuations. It's not uncommon at all.

Yes, but this TA is hardly unique, just same old, same old.  And, Reflection will be not be revolutionized til 2022.

1 hour ago, az_tchr said:

Where are you seeing TA for that low? I just did a quick search and nothing lower than $1000inside.

Shilouette - April 17 - FLL to Southampton. You must click on offers page. Put in your state of residence and over 55.

Inside on this cruise has been under $1000 for months. The Southampton always cheapest for recent years.

Edited by az_tchr

I've seen it many times.   You usually get the best prices when the cruises are first released and prices start ramping up after that depending on demand and number of bookings.    We booked Edge for the WB TA when she was first released The prices went up by 125% for our Celebrity Suite.   I did drop a little before cruise but the fare was still  over 100% of what we paid. 

• Like 2

We booked our May 2020 cruise onboard in March 2019. Our 1A stateroom had increased $1000 per person before final payment with one perk We have 3 perks, extra OBC and are very happy with our deal. After final payment the prices have gone down a bit, but they are still way above what we paid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Sorry, your reply confuses me.  We have the cruise booked at the low price for the 2021 TA, but if someone books it now it's 100% higher and lots of cabins are showing as available.  We've been sailing with Celebrity for 25 years and never seen such a large increase in price.

Your cruise is over 1 year away! You will see prices move up and down both with and without perks many times. NONE of it matters as you can cancel until 90 days out and rebook to get a deal.

As others have said prices often show big moves.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

I could way off base but, the popularity of the sailing could be because it will be the only Celebrity ship left that hasn't yet been "revolutionized".  We booked the Reflection last January for this year's 10night Jan 10 sailing after we cancelled a 7 night Edge for the same cost. Within three months of booking the cost on the Reflection doubled for the same cat cabin.   Same thing happened with this September's 12 night Reflection. Cost for our A2 is almost doubled as well. 

37 minutes ago, Chrisstew007 said:

'How the heck is this even possible' is a very good question for us in the UK as it is only February 2020 here!!

Ha!  Senior moment....sorry.  Please correct my date to November 2019.  Thanks for pointing it out!

• Like 1

We have booked a few cruises and prices rose to then drop after final payment date due to, I guess, a higher amount of cancelations.  

There may be some other reason, but I think that if they have lots of cabins remaining once final payment date is pass, then it becomes a situation for Celebrity needing to fill those cabins.....a lowering of prices.  

We have also had it where prices went up and stayed up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

We're booked on the same cruise, booked the same day the sailing came out back in Nov 2019.  The suite we booked has risen by over $3,000 per person since then.  I've watched that happen with nearly all the TA's we've done over the last few years and then as the sail date gets closer the prices get more reasonable and after final pay they sometimes drop like a rock depending on how many rooms are still open.  That happened with our Silhouette TA this past spring. 

Also, come join the roll call for the Reflection TA, it's already very busy!!!:classic_smile:

We booked the same cruise with the Thanksgiving promo also.  Got a great price.  Astounded to see how the cost is fluctuating.  Have not seen as low as we paid for Veranda but cost is all over the place.   Prices for TA's, and other cruises, may drop considerably after final payment date or even before.  Our last 3 TA's all dropped before final payment.  The April 2019 dropped $700 before final payment.  Others dropped and I was able to snag an upgraded cabin at the same cost I paid.  This was prior to perks being offered on TA cruises.

5 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

We have seen significant increases in cruise prices for some of our 20 cruises that we have taken (11 Celebrity, 7 NCL and 2 Royal C).

When we did around the Horn of South America in Jan 2014, the cruise fare doubled from what we booked.  We always book early, many times as soon as the cruise is announced.

On a couple of other cruises, we have seen increases of 50% or more.   We have seen prices drop on about four cruises, which all but one we called and got the low price.  On one it was after final payment, but we called and got a free upgrade to Aqua.

Transatlantic cruises are usually the cheapest long cruises.   We have taken three TA cruises and on TP cruise.  Also, we have a TA cruise booked for 2021 (Rome to Tampa for about $1800 per person, no perks, which we like).