Are suites only meant for romantic couples?

mackjack9139

Would you sail in a suite with a friend, or is the experience meant more for a couple? I am in a veranda with one of my best friends on an upcoming sailing, and the sky suite upgrade is quite reasonable. I heard in some suites the beds cannot be separated? In Luminae, do people chat with the tables next to them or is it mostly couples chatting quietly to each other? 

We are on Infinity pre-revolution. 

Edited by mackjack9139

21 minutes ago, mackjack9139 said:

Would you sail in a suite with a friend, or is the experience meant more for a couple? I am in a veranda with one of my best friends on an upcoming sailing, and the sky suite upgrade is quite reasonable. I heard in some suites the beds cannot be separated? In Luminae, do people chat with the tables next to them or is it mostly couples chatting quietly to each other? 

Beds can definitely be separated and suites are definitely not just for couples.  If its reasonable go for it, a great experience if only once..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I travel in suites with my mother... beds definitely separate. The only time we were told  it couldn't be done was in the PH (twice!). Come to find out, that isn't true. I visited the PH once and saw the bed separated.  Not sure why the butlers insisted it couldn't be done and put me on a cot the first time and the (AWFUL) pullout the 2nd time. I would love to travel in a suite with my bestie. We feel fortunate we have a window. LOL

23 minutes ago, MEcruzr said:

I travel in suites with my mother... beds definitely separate. The only time we were told  it couldn't be done was in the PH (twice!). Come to find out, that isn't true. I visited the PH once and saw the bed separated.  Not sure why the butlers insisted it couldn't be done and put me on a cot the first time and the (AWFUL) pullout the 2nd time. I would love to travel in a suite with my bestie. We feel fortunate we have a window. LOL

WOW!!! I would be so mad to pay penthouse prices to sleep on a cot! 

We mostly want the suite to be whisked quickly though embarkation, as it’s a very short cruise! Get us on the ship ASAP. I guess also with it being a short sailing, we won’t get sick of each other if the tables near us in Luminae don’t want to chat 🙂 

• Haha 1

On S class the bed in the Royal does not seperate.  They do in lower suites though.  In our experience chatting between tables is rare in luminae.  But if those near you really do not want to chat they will simply use another table the next night. There is no fixed seating so no gaurentees you will be near the same folk night on night - or indeed at the same point in your meal.  When we have met someone we want to chat to - and they agree! - we opt for a table togther for that night.

If you like somone well enough to share a room with them I'm sure you will manage to share dinner as well!

My best friend and I often sail in suites and we love it.  The first time we ate in Luminae I did feel it was a more "proper" atmosphere without much interaction between tables.  But that has changed vastly over the years.  Over the past 2 years I've noticed that there is lots of chatting between tables.  I love the suite life.   I would recommend you do the upgrade to sky suite.  You won't be sorry!

Edited by jcpc

I I have traveled in a CS and SS with my best friend on S class ships. We are in an SS on Equinox in a couple of weeks.  The beds in those two cabins can be made up as twin beds. We would love to upgrade to a Royal Suite,  but the bed cannot be separated and neither of us wants to sleep on the pullout sofa. From all the posts I have read, it is not comfortable. 

As for Luminae, I have dined there with my friend and as a solo cruiser. The opportunity for conversation with neighboring tables varies. When seated at the tables along the wall and have the bench seating on that wall, it seems easier to converse with others. The tables by the windows and those in the middle of the room are a little farther apart. Conversation is not impossible, but a little more difficult. The tables in Luminae are somewhat more openly spaced than in Blu or the MDR.

What has occurred for me/us on a number of occasions is I/we strike up a conversation with others in Michael’s Club/Retreat. That leads to going to dinner together and getting a table for three or four. One cruise, we had a group of 10-12 all who wanted to dine together the last night. The Maitre’d was very accommodating and put several tables together for us in the back section of Luminae. My poInt to all this is that it isn’t  hard to make friends, dine with others, and have nice conversations.

• Like 1

Suites are for anyone regardless of your relationship and whether romantic or not.   Never thought of them as Romantic.

The only beds I know that could not be separated were in the Silhouette Suite and the Royal on some of the ship where they have an adjustable bed.  

In Luminae people always talk between tables unless you show an interest to be left alone.  

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

In Luminae on the Summit the tables are so close that you almost feel required to start a conversation because they can hear everything you say anyway.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

good info to know if i ever get rich. i hate seating like this. if i want it ill go to the buffet to be on top of each other. why dont the higher priced guests get more privacy than the commoners in the MDR?  it can be done. i was in haven on ncl and never was that close to anyone. maybe celebrity needs a new interior designer. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mackjack9139 said:

Once you cruise in a suite---you will never go back to an non-suite!   You will be spoiled!

• Like 1

By seeing who goes into Michael's Club or the Luminae dining room, I would say " Romantic " days are now a dream. 

On the other hand-- " sweets " or a piece of jewelry might be a better option for romance than a suite . 

23 hours ago, Pickels said:

Once you cruise in a suite---you will never go back to an non-suite!   You will be spoiled!

You are quite right, however, sailed Harmony in Grand Suite recently and loved Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen.  Booked on Brilliance in April and in June but there is no Coastal Kitchen so I settled for a balcony.  When I read Celebrity was going to be sailing from Port of Tampa I booked an Aqua Class cabin because I love Blu, but then I saw a sale on Sky Suite and read about the Retreat and immediately upgraded to suite.  Looking forward to sailing Celebrity again and in a suite.