Why Only Princess.....?

WoodstockGirl

12 minutes ago, Taters said:

No it wasn't. 

Diamond Princess had coronavirus on board.

Westerdam did NOT have coronavirus on board.

I was responding to the OP's specific question about being denied into port, I said nothing about the virus being detected on Westerdam. Perhaps my "same situation" phrase was misleading or was unclear? Apologies if so.

Edited by joepeka
  • Like 1

I’ve been wondering the same too! Not being denied docking, but quarantine.

Westerndam had one passenger tested positive after disembarkation,  none passengers on the next voyage was test. Grand had 2 passengers tested positive after disembarkation, now all passengers need to be tested. Who make the rule here?

2 hours ago, Taters said:

No it wasn't. 

Diamond Princess had coronavirus on board.

Westerdam did NOT have coronavirus on board.

How about Grand? Grand has the same situation as Westerdam, passenger tested positive after disembark, but now all passengers on Grand need to be tested, westerdam not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

What is the mathematical formula for that?  That might be useful for me in the future.

Just have to Google "The Birthday Paradox" for all the detail you could want. It's quite counterintuitive

• Like 2

I'll drag a dead horse just a little farther. I blame, in part, the fact that Princess pre-sets the tables in the Horizon Court with drink ware, does not remove the unused items after someone sits down, leaves those items on the table for the next person, and then wipes off the table with a used cloth napkin. I've seen it, complained about it, and told it's company policy.

I wonder if corporate will change their policy now?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'll drag a dead horse just a little farther. I blame, in part, the fact that Princess pre-sets the tables in the Horizon Court with drink ware, does not remove the unused items after someone sits down, leaves those items on the table for the next person, and then wipes off the table with a used cloth napkin. I've seen it, complained about it, and told it's company policy.

I wonder if corporate will change their policy now?

Hope they will. This is so easy to do and will have a positive impact! Wonder how can we communicate all these wonderful suggestions to the person who can really put it into action, not just "I will report it".

12 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I wonder if corporate will change just their policy now?

I not have not seen pre-set drinkware on any Horizon Court on all my sailings. I have only seen tables cleaned promptly. This is just more of your well known anti-Princess agenda. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, debsjc said:

We don't yet know which ship, or cruise line, these people were on (link from another topic, thanks to the OP)

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/03/06/maryland-coronavirus-patients-were-on-a-cruise-montgomery-county-officials-say/

I read it closely  -

"At a news conference Friday evening, Gov. Larry Hogan said all three patients contracted the virus on the M.S. Asara, a cruise ship that was on the Nile River in Egypt. "

https://www.gate1travel.com/cruises/ships/ms-asara/

This adds a new dimension - river cruises!

Edited by resistk

18 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

We are still going on our April and May cruises. We have the BSE so I guess I will do a little research of my own on the above theory.

BSE === Bovine spongiform encephalopathy

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Just have to Google "The Birthday Paradox" for all the detail you could want. It's quite counterintuitive

What is really going on is your are calculating the odds of the next person NOT having a birthday that matches anyone else in the group. 

From the site:

The chance of 2 people having different birthdays is:

\displaystyle{1 - \frac{1}{365} = \frac{364}{365} = .997260}

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jp2746 said:

I think it has more to do with the age of passengers on Princess.  It caters more to the mature crowd that would go to the infirmary if they were sick.  Younger people may just have a runny nose and fever but would go on about their day. I know up until now, I would never go to the infirmary if I were sick.  I would just suck it up since I paid so much for the cruise.  I'm sure that it is more spread out over the US than anyone thinks.  That's just my guess.

But this time it is 19 crew that have virus and they are usually young to middle aged adults.  Question is how many people on previous cruise to mexico are testing positive and where have they been for last 2 weeks.  That's where its gets messy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joepeka said:

HAL Westerdam was in that same situation in Asia at the same time as Diamond.

Westerdam had one ex-passenger get sick and test positive. No one onboard else off the cruise that person was on. And that passenger then tested negative while still in the hospital very sick with pneumonia.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

But this time it is 19 crew that have virus and they are usually young to middle aged adults.  Question is how many people on previous cruise to mexico are testing positive and where have they been for last 2 weeks.  That's where its gets messy.

I’m not saying you can’t get it but I think if a younger person had a fever and cough they would probably go about their day.  Because they are under the microscope by working on this ship, they probably were tested. It didn’t really say how severe their symptoms were.  But something that might go unnoticed in the general population will be caught here.  

6 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

How about Grand? Grand has the same situation as Westerdam, passenger tested positive after disembark, but now all passengers on Grand need to be tested, westerdam not.

After Westerdam passengers disembarked in Cambodia, (I believe) no passengers embarked. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2738913-westerdam-is-on-its-way-to-juneau/

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, resistk said:

I read it closely  -

"At a news conference Friday evening, Gov. Larry Hogan said all three patients contracted the virus on the M.S. Asara, a cruise ship that was on the Nile River in Egypt. "

https://www.gate1travel.com/cruises/ships/ms-asara/

This adds a new dimension - river cruises!

That info was added after I posted.

12 hours ago, Doug R. said:

I not have not seen pre-set drinkware on any Horizon Court on all my sailings. I have only seen tables cleaned promptly. This is just more of your well known anti-Princess agenda. 

I have seen it on every Princess cruise since 2009, including the Grand, the Emerald, the Coral, the Crown, and just three weeks ago on the Sky.  On the Sky, I watched as drinkware was left on the tables if it didn't look like it had been used and I observed the staff take a used cloth napkin and wipe off the table, and then  reset the table with drinkware placed upside down on the table.   I saw that crew member carry four juice tmblers in one hand by placing his fingers down inside all four and squeezing them together.  All this, and there is no place for the crew to wash their hands in between bussing and setting the tables.

It is not part of any anti Princess agenda, but just my background and training in public health that prompts me to complain when I see sub-standard or hazardous practices in food service establishments.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I have seen it on every Princess cruise since 2009, including the Grand, the Emerald, the Coral, the Crown, and just three weeks ago on the Sky.  On the Sky, I watched as drinkware was left on the tables if it didn't look like it had been used and I observed the staff take a used cloth napkin and wipe off the table, and then  reset the table with drinkware placed upside down on the table.   I saw that crew member carry four juice tmblers in one hand by placing his fingers down inside all four and squeezing them together.  All this, and there is no place for the crew to wash their hands in between bussing and setting the tables.

It is not part of any anti Princess agenda, but just my background and training in public health that prompts me to complain when I see sub-standard or hazardous practices in food service establishments.

I see this happen all the time across all cruise lines, and I am very glad you complained to the cruise line and brought it up here. education to these servers is very important

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

What is the mathematical formula for that?  That might be useful for me in the future.

Taylor series I think.   My coworker had a math degree from CalTech and he had the formula on his whiteboard.   He said it is great to bet money in a large gathering LOL.

13 hours ago, Doug R. said:

I have seen this on many occasions.  Particularly in the evening when they pre-set the

tables with placemats.