Why Only Princess.....?

WoodstockGirl

so did you cancel ??

these are very fluid times and the Princess Reps are stressed , as are you ... maybe a cooling off period, if that is even possible might do both sides good 

dunno, but I do understand about booking a future cruise at currently inflated prices with a credit from a cruise that may have been booked under a very good sale

• Like 2

It might be that the OP will need to settle for a different type of cabin or a less-than-ideal time of year to be able to use the FCC. I wish him/her well, and I agree with @ginabab above that I think it will all work out. A lot may change between now and December of next year. Best of luck to you, @cvw0! ☺️

The reason so many Princess ships impacted is because  they transfered crew from Grand Princess to the Regal, Royal and Caribbean Princess. The transfers I believe were just before they knew there were cases on Grand. 

Edited by Charles4515

We tried everything we could to upgrade the land portion of our June Alaskan cruise this January and February.  We had just the suite cabin we wanted, but were told it was wait listed on could not get it back.  There were plenty on cabins available for inside and ocean view so the other excursion were not sold out.  The on board sales person on last cruise did everything she could to knock the ABX three day excursion packages.  We canceled 10 days ago thinking we would see if cabin opened up after final payment. Checked this morning, and we are not the only suite to cancel.  I hope customer relations is happy with their iron clad rules and empty cabins!

2 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Unfortunately the young people may have a milder case but can spread it to others who are more vulnerable.  That is why my family wants us to cancel our cruise next week. Problem is we are not getting any refunds from either the cruise line ( not Princess) or our insurance company unless the govt bans travel to UK.

We are in the same boat, literally.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:21 PM, Doug R. said:

I not have not seen pre-set drinkware on any Horizon Court on all my sailings. I have only seen tables cleaned promptly. This is just more of your well known anti-Princess agenda. 

They certainly did use to pre set the mugs and glasses on the tables in the buffet for breakfast.

And I am certainly not anti Princess

On 3/6/2020 at 1:06 PM, jp2746 said:

I think it has more to do with the age of passengers on Princess.  It caters more to the mature crowd that would go to the infirmary if they were sick.  . . .

I think the average age on HAL cruises is probably higher than on Princess.  But the age of the pax also has a lot to do with the itinerary--the Asian cruise is expensive, compared to those in the Americas, especially airfare because of the long flights to get there and back, so it's less doable for a large number of younger folks.

On 3/9/2020 at 5:16 AM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

People keep showing me this link, showing zero sailings in Asia.  "No sailings that visit this port are currently available."  I'm still not convinced that Carnival had more ships in Asia than Princess.

As this spreads in Southern California, those Carnival ships will soon be on borrowed time.

Carnival has only 2 (Splendor, Spirit) ships which are currently sailing in Australia. Those that come to Singapore are once in 3-5 years sailings due to drydock. If it's only Carnival then no, they do not have more ships in Asia than Princess. 

However Carnival in a whole has Costa, Princess among others. Currently All the Costa Asia Pacific fleet (Venezia,Romantica, Atlantica, Serena, Fortuna) are grounded along with Sappphire, Diamond and Majestic. 

21 hours ago, cvw0 said:

We understand that these are unprecedented times for Princess and the cruise industry at large. We understand that the cruise industry is going to take a significant earnings hit because of the global impact of the Coronavirus. My concern is that Princess may not be understanding this from the consumer's point of view.

My recent interactions with a Princess Cruises representative was very disappointing. We are older cruisers. The CDC has come out and said, if you are older individuals, don't cruise. We were booked on a 28 day South Pacific cruise out of Los Angeles on April 11. We wanted to accept Princess' 100% future cruise credit and rebook a similar future cruise. Here is what we have found:

1. We booked this particular cruise over a year in advance. We are finding it difficult to find a similar cruise within the time frame that Princess defined for the 100% credit, December 2021. Actually, we can not find any of the aft balconies we love so much, and most of the itineraries are already fully booked.
  2. All of the future itineraries are much more expensive. We paid a significant amount for our 4/11 aft balcony, now for the identical itinerary the cost is more then $2000 addition dollars.
  3. On the 4/11 itinerary, we had cabin credits. These are not transferable.
  4. The cost of cruise insurance is not refundable by Princess and according to the insurance company not applicable for claim.

So, we can't find a similar cruise within the time frame Princess has set for their credit. And, if we could, it would cost us an additional $3200 to go on the same itinerary in the future. My interaction with the Princess representative went a little like this: Sorry, can't help you. Sorry, can't help you with that. No, that is not covered. Sorry, it is what it is. Anything else I can do for you today?  It was enough that I just wanted to tell her to cancel all of my future bookings.

Princess, these are unprecedented times for us as well. We will remain loyal Princess cruisers, until we are not. Princess, you are responsible for the "until we are not" portion of that last comment. I don't know how to solve issues you have, but I do know that some of those "issue solutions" do affect my future decisions. 

We are having the same issue.  However, we are just trying to go out next week since our cruise last week was canceled.  Our fare has gone up quite a bit and we really can't afford to pay more for a cruise we already stretched ourselves to take.  We have never cruised on Princess and I do regret booking with them as another poster has recognized that they are the only lines having to cancel. (We are loyal RCC fans, but they do not sail out of LA and we didn't want to pay more to fly to Florida.) But, we did and we are paying for it now.  If we were to re-book the same cruise for the same room this next week, we would be paying as much as we did for the original cruise after applying the FCC.  However, we have not received our refund yet and so we would be putting out more money and taking another risk.  We can not sail after April due to our work and school schedules.  At this point, we would have to wait until next summer to use the FCC and we all know prices in the summer are much higher.  I don't know what to do.  I really believe that if they are sailing next week with a ship with a lot of open rooms, they should just wave the FCC and put us on that cruise.  

Why Princess? Just disembarked Regal after we were not allowed to go into port due to two crew who needed to be tested for Coronavirus. Princess ALLOWED these crew to board our ship after transferring from Grand! That was just a bad bad decision. It’s not because it’s a mature demographic, as someone suggested. It’s not just bad luck, it’s not anything but a bad decision. Passengers would not have been allowed to board under the same circumstances. 

1 hour ago, obnurse said:

Why Princess? Just disembarked Regal after we were not allowed to go into port due to two crew who needed to be tested for Coronavirus. Princess ALLOWED these crew to board our ship after transferring from Grand! That was just a bad bad decision. It’s not because it’s a mature demographic, as someone suggested. It’s not just bad luck, it’s not anything but a bad decision. Passengers would not have been allowed to board under the same circumstances. 

It’s my understanding that Princess had no way of knowing anyone was infected on the Grand when they transferred the crew. It was weeks later that the outbreak was discovered. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, obnurse said:

in doing some research, that just may not be true. They think the first man who died from Grand Princess was on board in February 

3 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

It’s my understanding that Princess had no way of knowing anyone was infected on the Grand when they transferred the crew. It was weeks later that the outbreak was discovered. 

Crew member may have left the ship on the 21st Feb, same day the ill passenger went to medical. Passenger was not diagnosed with the virus until after leaving the ship. Indications are the person had contacted the virus prior to boarding as the passenger was ill for a week before reporting to medical. That puts the passenger on board only about 2 to 3 days before coming down ill.

On 3/7/2020 at 5:49 AM, mrmarklin said:

Princess tends to have large numbers of Americans on board, hence the coverage by US based media. 

This is happening all over the world.

In Australia too a lot of publicity re: Princess, glimpses from other cruise lines.

On 3/6/2020 at 6:06 PM, jp2746 said:

I think it has more to do with the age of passengers on Princess.  It caters more to the mature crowd that would go to the infirmary if they were sick.  Younger people may just have a runny nose and fever but would go on about their day. I know up until now, I would never go to the infirmary if I were sick.  I would just suck it up since I paid so much for the cruise.  I'm sure that it is more spread out over the US than anyone thinks.  That's just my guess.

Hope people now realise that it is essential for the well being of all onboard to go to the infirmary if they are sick, or at least to avoid mixing with people .  Whilst they may be perfectly ok, spreading an infection (not necessarily Coronavirus) to all and sundry may put those with underlying health problems or immunity deficiencies at huge risk.

How many of us have experienced a cruise where you hear hacking coughs all over the ships as people happily spread their germs about willy nilly? Maybe this episode will make people more aware of the need to think of others and not walk about ships clearly poorly, just because they don’t want to spoil their vacation.

48 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Hope people now realise that it is essential for the well being of all onboard to go to the infirmary if they are sick, or at least to avoid mixing with people .  Whilst they may be perfectly ok, spreading an infection (not necessarily Coronavirus) to all and sundry may put those with underlying health problems or immunity deficiencies at huge risk.

How many of us have experienced a cruise where you hear hacking coughs all over the ships as people happily spread their germs about willy nilly? Maybe this episode will make people more aware of the need to think of others and not walk about ships clearly poorly, just because they don’t want to spoil their vacation.

I agree, but I was saying that for me, as a mom, I don't stop when I get the sniffles.  Since this virus is having different effects on different people, I would never think that the sniffles warrants a visit to the infirmary.  Even if a young person was carrying the virus, their symptoms may not be enough to warrant them slowing down or even noticing.  But, if they give it to an older person on the boat, their symptoms may be much worse and they may seek a doctor.  Just an observation.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 4:38 PM, debsjc said:

We don't yet know which ship, or cruise line, these people were on (link from another topic, thanks to the OP)

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/03/06/maryland-coronavirus-patients-were-on-a-cruise-montgomery-county-officials-say/

They were on an Egyptian river cruise.

On 3/11/2020 at 5:58 PM, ellie1145 said:

I have a chronic, non-infectious cough. Does that mean I should never go on vacation? You shouldn't judge what you don't know. Some blood pressure medications have coughing as a side effect. Allergies cause coughing. Dry air (and inversely, humid air) causes coughing. Many things cause coughing. Don't be judgemental.

(hops off nurse soap box, runs and hides)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

I have a chronic, non-infectious cough. Does that mean I should never go on vacation? You shouldn't judge what you don't know.

You know you're one of those people, then.

Stop trying to be offended.