who is the most famous person you've seen on an X cruise

luckyinpa

Does Captain Kate count?

I'm actually pretty clueless when it comes to "celeb spotting" - I think growing up around Nashville where country stars roller skate at the same rink, shop at the same grocery store, and in some cases sit in the same church pews made me kind of immune to the "OMG they're famous" thing. I know I've been on the subway here in NYC with people I recognize but cannot place.

18 hours ago, TMaine said:

We met Rick Steeves on Reflection a couple of years ago. 

Was that during the filming of his cruise episode? Based on his other episodes and books I’m surprised he went since he’s always poo pooing cruising but he looked like he had a great time.

Edited by Lilikins
Spelling error

47 minutes ago, Lilikins said:

Was that during the filming of his cruise episode? Based on his other episodes and books I’m surprised he went since he’s always poo pooing cruising but he looked like he had a great time.

Yes it was.  

Ernest Borgnine on the Millennium in 2005.  He and his wife were very friendly and were always around the ship and willing to talk to anyone.   Followed very closely by Ben Vereen many, many years ago on Royal Caribbean.  He also loved to be with the passengers and would shoot hoops with anyone who wanted.

John de Lancie (Q from Star Trek)... he and his wife and their sons and daughters in law were on a cruise from Japan to Vancouver with us in May of 2017 on the Millienium.  My hubby kept saying "that's him, I know it is", and I kept saying "nah... why would he be on a cruise?" He and his family were often at the ice bar at the same time we were each day, and finally I worked up the nerve to ask the woman after "Q" had left the bar for a few minutes... 

me: "So hubby and I are having a disagreement about who you're with"

her: "Yup... even before you ask, my husband is John de Lancie"

me: "Well I guess I lost that bet!"

her: "Well if I'd known there was a bet on the table, I would have played this out a lot longer haha!"  She was really funny and lovely 🙂

Then we chatted for a few minutes with his family before he returned (really didn't want to bug him, but they engaged us) and it turns out one of his sons that was also cruising with us is "Q junior"... played his son on the show too!  

We left them completely alone and didn't even try to take photos or anything... just a really nice family enjoying a cruise together. We didn't notice anyone else bugging them besides me that one time hahaha!!  So I assume they got to enjoy a great vacation out of the spotlight. 

5 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Reminds me that they did an episode of the Nanny many years ago when the Century was new.   

Saw the episode on TV, was not there.  

We were there and our son hung out with the kids on the cast.  The cast was all very nice and apologetic for causing issues on the ship.  My son was an extra in one of the scenes.  They did steal my Sky Suite!  CTBob

We were on the Equinox in 2018 with Jack Jones who sang the theme for the "Love Boat."  Later saw a video on Captain Kate's FB or IG page of her saying goodbye to him and his wife on the gangway.  I think he was about as excited to meet her as she was to meet him!

Edited by MisterMet
grammar

Regis Philbin.  Never saw him personally, but I remember when he had his show he'd come back from a Celebrity cruise and show the audience pictures of the ship and some of their port excursions.

I recall posters here saying he was very nice, but Joy was standoffish.  

Franco Harris. He, his wife, Lydell Mitchell and Joe Peternos wife were on the Infinity last week with us, some Penn State thing. I don’t even follow football but recognized him. Btw, he looks great for 70 years old!

On 3/12/2020 at 8:45 AM, luckyinpa said:

is it legal to just get off and not return?

Depends on the location, country, and the situation.   We are booked, but expect it to cancel, on the April 24 Transatlantic on the Celebrity  Reflection.   The cruise is scheduled to end in Dublin on May 8th but we have requested, paid a $65 fee to Celebrity, and been approved to disembark in Belfast on May 6th.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 6:49 PM, nunuc2000 said:

John de Lancie (Q from Star Trek)... he and his wife and their sons and daughters in law were on a cruise from Japan to Vancouver with us in May of 2017 on the Millienium.  My hubby kept saying "that's him, I know it is", and I kept saying "nah... why would he be on a cruise?" He and his family were often at the ice bar at the same time we were each day, and finally I worked up the nerve to ask the woman after "Q" had left the bar for a few minutes... 

me: "So hubby and I are having a disagreement about who you're with"

her: "Yup... even before you ask, my husband is John de Lancie"

me: "Well I guess I lost that bet!"

her: "Well if I'd known there was a bet on the table, I would have played this out a lot longer haha!"  She was really funny and lovely 🙂

Then we chatted for a few minutes with his family before he returned (really didn't want to bug him, but they engaged us) and it turns out one of his sons that was also cruising with us is "Q junior"... played his son on the show too!  

We left them completely alone and didn't even try to take photos or anything... just a really nice family enjoying a cruise together. We didn't notice anyone else bugging them besides me that one time hahaha!!  So I assume they got to enjoy a great vacation out of the spotlight. 

how timely. just watched an ep of Q with his son and capt janeway was trying to teach him things. gotta admit i would have loved seeing him and its cheaper to see him on X than pay for the star trek cruises 🙂

• Like 1

Oh - great topic to pass the time until we can talk again about dress codes, smoking topics , bad behaviour etc. etc. !"

Well there was Emma Samms ( Fallon from Dynasty)! Then Micky Arrison - Ceo of Carnival- both on board Queen Mary2!

Then John Maxtone Graham- Author of " The only way to cross!" - Celebrity Millenium.

Many years back- Maiden Voyage of Enchantment of the Seas- Petula Clark!

Pianist Pearl Kaufmann- Celebrity Ininity and Celebrity Millenium

On 3/12/2020 at 2:54 PM, Orator said:

Shirley Jones and Frank Shorter as Beyond the Podium speakers. Regis Philban, Richard Roundtree as passengers and many more.

Fondly remember Shirley on Equinox Transatlantic Spring 2010.  She packed the theater 3 times as Beyond the Podium speaker. She was sailing with her childhood friend. They were often in the Martini Bar area some evenings. Great lady. 

Edited by BEAV

Our first cruise back in 1989 on the very old Carnival Festival we met and the feature entertainment in the theatre was Duke Daniels of the Platters (Smoke Gets In Your Eyes for the youngster). In addition, one day on a Royal Caribbean cruise I skied the guy following me through the buffet whether he was one of the Osmond Brothers. He was and all but Donnie were onboard and did a couple of shows.