If You're Old Stay Home

estrawn

16 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

We haven't gone to a traditional doctors office in a few years, thanks to teledoc. There's several different apps out there. I've always used Doctor on Demand, up until last month when our insurance started using Teladoc which I will use from now on. Rather than getting dressed when you're sick, driving 45 minutes to a doctors office, sitting in a room full of sick people, waiting in a patient room forever for the MD to see you, then driving 45 minutes back home, it's much easier to open the app, talk to an MD via their app and then have an RX sent in to the local pharmacy. Then a work/school note is sent to you in a matter of minutes. From start to finish, the process has taken me 6 minutes at the longest visit. I know Teladoc has access to Epic which is a platform that's becoming pretty nationwide, so the MDs have access to your records. 

you don't get physicals? If we don't every year, they will not renew prescriptions. I happen to live 5 minutes from my Dr's office and usually seen in 10 minutes

20 hours ago, coevan said:

I have 70 year old friends who can run circles around out of shape 50 year olds, age is all relative

There is biological age and then there is chronological age.

There is fitness and then their is illness immunity.  While I agree fitness can also mean health immune system, to blindly assume one can run around someone else doesn't mean squat when a new virus that your immune system has never seen sneaks into your lungs.   

Never judge a book by the cover

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/13/world/asia/coronavirus-death-life.html

• Like 1

16 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

We haven't gone to a traditional doctors office in a few years, thanks to teledoc. There's several different apps out there. I've always used Doctor on Demand, up until last month when our insurance started using Teladoc which I will use from now on. Rather than getting dressed when you're sick, driving 45 minutes to a doctors office, sitting in a room full of sick people, waiting in a patient room forever for the MD to see you, then driving 45 minutes back home, it's much easier to open the app, talk to an MD via their app and then have an RX sent in to the local pharmacy. Then a work/school note is sent to you in a matter of minutes. From start to finish, the process has taken me 6 minutes at the longest visit. I know Teladoc has access to Epic which is a platform that's becoming pretty nationwide, so the MDs have access to your records. 

This sounds like a real win for the doctor and the insurance companies and a big lose for the patient. How do they know if your blood pressure is elevated or you’re wheezing or you’re dehydrated..... Definitely not a good option if you’re sick.

17 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

This is all BS. A person over 70 must have written proof they are healthy while anyone younger can just “overlook” their health issues. Age only enters the picture because older individuals—as a group—tend to have a tendency toward more issues. A young person with the same infliction as an older person will have the same response to the virus.

Your statement is not based on any medical facts. A younger person with the same affliction as the older person will have a much higher chance of recovery if they do become infected with COVID-19. The older person who becomes infected will have a higher chance of not recovering.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

John Heald posted it. It's for sailings this weekend only.. For now.

NEW TRAVEL POLICY
ALL SAILINGS DEPARTING
03/13/2020 TO 03/16/2020
IMMEDIATE ATTENTION REQUIRED

March 12, 2020

Dear Carnival Guest:

Public health authorities believe older travelers with severe, chronic medical conditions are more susceptible to contracting coronavirus. Your health and well-being remain our highest priority. Effective immediately, we are proactively implementing guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) regarding cruise ship travel.

The following individuals will temporarily not be allowed to sail:
Guests who have been hospitalized in the last two months for, or have a history of, severe or chronic medical conditions.

Per CDC, chronic conditions are defined as an illness persisting for a long time or constantly recurring, such as diabetes, heart, kidney or lung disease, suppressed immunity (i.e., active cancer, taking steroids) or require oxygen for any reason.

Guests who are 70 years and older, will be required to present a doctor's "fit to sail' letter at check-in, confirming they do not meet any of the health/medical criteria.
If you are unable to present this letter, you will not be allowed to cruise.

Guests who have been to or traveled through China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Italy, Iran, Japan, Singapore in the last 20 days prior to embarkation.

Guests who have been in contact with another person diagnosed with or tested for COVID-19.
Anyone who meets any of the above criteria must cancel their reservation and may select one of the following options:

Receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC). In addition, guests will also receive a future onboard credit - US$300 per stateroom if you were scheduled to sail on a cruise of 5 days or less; US$600 per stateroom if you were scheduled to sail on a cruise of 6 days or longer - when you rebook your future cruise.

Receive a cash refund, to be processed to the original form of payment within 90 days.
Guests traveling in the same stateroom as the impacted party are also eligible for the compensation options listed above.

Any accompanying family or friends in separate staterooms who also wish to cancel will receive a 100% future cruise credit.

Since we are experiencing high call volume, please complete this form if you meet any of the above criteria for canceling your cruise. We will process your request and send you a confirmation. There is no need to call us.

Pre-purchased shore excursions, beverage and Wi-Fi packages, and Fun Shop purchases will be automatically refunded. If you elect a refund, please note it will be processed in approximately 90 days.

We recognize the impact of these new policies and sincerely apologize for any disruption to your vacation plans. We trust you understand these temporary policies reflect an industry wide agreement with the U.S. government that were made with your best interest at heart.

Saving for future reference .

1 hour ago, coevan said:

you don't get physicals? If we don't every year, they will not renew prescriptions. I happen to live 5 minutes from my Dr's office and usually seen in 10 minutes

No, I don't get physicals. I live in a very rural area in the country on a tobacco farm, and am not close to anything. The city where everything is, is at least 45 minutes from us. 

2 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this new rule of requiring a Dr's letter for being 70 or older may not go away when the Corona Virus panic goes away. Some things that get implemented in times of crisis just don't get revoked.

I certainly hope that is not the case - if so, I guess my DH & I have been on our last cruise.  I don't think there are many doctors who will risk a possible lawsuit by signing a "fit to sail" letter. 

I am old.  I didn't get the message to stay home until I had four cruises booked, March 29 being the closest and the farthest away being a Sailabration cruise in March, 2022.

It's a little late to be told to stay home.

For the moment I am just hoping old folks will be welcome again in the foreseeable future.

On 3/12/2020 at 5:37 PM, bobsfamily said:

Go to a doctor in the box... seriously they have appointments all the time.

Or see if your insurance has a "tele-doctor".... they are usually available.

United health care sent me a link to a online doctor.

Not sure I could get one of them to email me a fit to travel letter.

But I dont think they are that unusual. I kept the email just in case.

20200321_170614909.jpeg

20200321_170555936.jpeg

On 3/13/2020 at 7:50 PM, FLCruise7 said:

I certainly hope that is not the case - if so, I guess my DH & I have been on our last cruise.  I don't think there are many doctors who will risk a possible lawsuit by signing a "fit to sail" letter. 

This is not really any different then what I need to scuba dive since I have a condition that needs doctor approval.  I just take the form in and have him sign it once a year.

Edited by rukkian

The world in 2020 summed up

"This company needs to do more to protect people!"

"This company has overstepped it's boundaries by doing this!"

While there is lots of conflicting data out there, and lots to be seen, it's pretty much a fact that older people with health concerns are more susceptible. Why don't you try running a business that is seen as high-risk on top of all of these other factors. It's a lose-lose for Carnival. I would definitely choose the path of less liability. Million dollar lawsuits are far more expensive than a potential lost sale from a inconvenienced person.

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 2

Hoping that Carnival will make this a downloadable .pdf file

that pops up on everyone's booking page

along with one's other details........

So you just print it out to walk with, to the Doctor's visit.

11 hours ago, crusinpsychRN said:

Agreed.

I do not agree. We are in our 70s and have no problem getting a form signed by our doctor. The synereo is that anyone over the age of 65 are more susceptible of getting te virus. Especially if they have an underlying condition. So I see no reason for those under 65 to get any approval. However, they should be check for where they have previously traveled and if they have a fever. So I see no need to burden everyone.

Dont pregnant women need a note from doctor to say its ok to sail?  I think its a good idea for anyone with an unstable medical condition to be checked and cleared by dr to make sure they're ok for any travel. Regarding the coronavirus, it shows that the disease affects those over 70 and with conditions such as asthma, copd, and diabetes as well as weakened immune systems more so than a normally healthy 30 yr old with no underlying health ailments. I personally with those odds would just get the physical and be on the safe side.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, crusinpsychRN said:

I'm just going to deny future birthdays!

so if you are 70 years old, just tell them that you identify as a 30 year old healthy person.  problem solved.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rukkian said:

This is not really any different then what I need to scuba dive since I have a condition that needs doctor approval.  I just take the form in and have him sign it once a year.

I probably expressed my opinion incorrectly - what I meant to say is that if the "over 70" letter remains a requirement, we have finished cruising.  My DH is over 70 and does have one of the conditions shown.  No way our doctor would lie and say he didn't have any of the stated conditions.  Therefore - no more cruising. :classic_sad:

On 3/21/2020 at 6:09 PM, firefly333 said:

United health care sent me a link to a online doctor.

Not sure I could get one of them to email me a fit to travel letter.

But I dont think they are that unusual. I kept the email just in case.

Just got one from BCBS that if I use a code (COVID-19) the tele-doctor visit will be free.

Edited by bobsfamily

At my age (68) I'd be concerned about being able to get the care required on board if I had an underlying condition.

Not a knock on the ships doctors, just that I'd be concerned if something went south and needed "acute" care.

On 3/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, FLCruise7 said:

I probably expressed my opinion incorrectly - what I meant to say is that if the "over 70" letter remains a requirement, we have finished cruising.  My DH is over 70 and does have one of the conditions shown.  No way our doctor would lie and say he didn't have any of the stated conditions.  Therefore - no more cruising. :classic_sad:

No one suggests you lie. Medical issues can be under control and the note would say just that.

My husband and I are over 70.  He is healthy- I am not.  Right now facing this COVID 19 crisis,  I wouldn't go and visit my daughter and her family because I am high risk due to COPD and being a recovering Cancer patient.  However, I feel great.  Other than using a scooter because I get out of breath walking the football length ship and my knees get tired,  I cruise the same way I did 25 years ago.  Once this pandemic is over, and it has to eventually be over,  I hope I will be able to cruise again.

I guess it depends on what the required letter has to say.  Or, better yet, the letter goes away.