How long until next cancellations?

az_tchr

Appreciate X has cancelled through early April. They certainly have lots of work over the next few days.

However, many of us are left in limbo. We have cruises not effected by yesterday's cancellations. Thus some questions as one would hope going forward that cruisers would receive a bit more notice. A respected and frequent Zenith poster got his notice while flying to his cruise departing the next day. Not good.

So - When do we get notice of what happens with Alaska cruises? How do you cruise with Victoria and Vancouver closed until July?  Are Pacific Coastal cruises reasonable with Astoria, Morterrey and Santa Barbara closed indefinately?

Australia / NZ cruises are challenged with limited port capacity. What does NZ and several islands closed and Hawaii uncertain?

Europe- wow. What happens starting with the TAs?  Will people cruise in Europe with so many countries closed including Norway, France, Spain and Italy. Are these closures likely to end in a few weeks? What about a month?

Our limbo is a TA just when cruising is scheduled to resume to the UK. Unless things improve and ports open we will have no port calls. The follow cruise heads to those same closed ports; followed by four wonderful ports in Norway.  Is a Norway sightseeing cruise viable?

When you think X will react?  One week? April 1st?  Or will they design new ports - mostly tender?

13 hours ago, az_tchr said:

Appreciate X has cancelled through early April. They certainly have lots of work over the next few days.

However, many of us are left in limbo. We have cruises not effected by yesterday's cancellations. Thus some questions as one would hope going forward that cruisers would receive a bit more notice. A respected and frequent Zenith poster got his notice while flying to his cruise departing the next day. Not good.

So - When do we get notice of what happens with Alaska cruises? How do you cruise with Victoria and Vancouver closed until July?  Are Pacific Coastal cruises reasonable with Astoria, Morterrey and Santa Barbara closed indefinately?

Australia / NZ cruises are challenged with limited port capacity. What does NZ and several islands closed and Hawaii uncertain?

Europe- wow. What happens starting with the TAs?  Will people cruise in Europe with so many countries closed including Norway, France, Spain and Italy. Are these closures likely to end in a few weeks? What about a month?

Our limbo is a TA just when cruising is scheduled to resume to the UK. Unless things improve and ports open we will have no port calls. The follow cruise heads to those same closed ports; followed by four wonderful ports in Norway.  Is a Norway sightseeing cruise viable?

When you think X will react?  One week? April 1st?  Or will they design new ports - mostly tender?

Obviously no one knows because of the uncertainty of whether or not the virus will dissipate by this summer. I have the same questions about our late July Alaska cruise. And Celebrity is having to make these decisions while facing the same uncertainty that we are. Hence their piece-wise decisions. It's entirely possible that they may even decide to cancel some of the spring TAs due to a lack of available European ports.

With all Canadian ports closed until July 1st, many more will be coming.  Not sure there will even be an Alaska season.  We were set to sail May 28th to Canada and New England and just cancelled.  Interestingly, Celebrity still has the cruise on their website.  You can get a great price for this 9 day cruise to nowhere,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bphman said:

With all Canadian ports closed until July 1st, many more will be coming.  Not sure there will even be an Alaska season.  We were set to sail May 28th to Canada and New England and just cancelled.  Interestingly, Celebrity still has the cruise on their website.  You can get a great price for this 9 day cruise to nowhere,

I guess someone could book it and get a 125% FCC when X cancel it.

My June Alaska cruise is showing as available. 

• Like 1

I think the thing is... no-one knows!  Appreciate you want clarity - we are due to cruise July 4th (no relvance to that date in the UK) and would love answers.  But we are not going to get them.

There is a massive balance for governements in slowing the virus enough that health systems are not overwhelmed and limiting the economic damage that inevitably follows.  Cruise lines will see a similar balencing act.  Stopping long enough that they don't loose more money hand over first with quarentined ships or empty ships and getting going fast enough that they do not go broke.

Malthusian though it is - once enough people have caught this restrictions can relax and the world can settle to find whatever its new normal looks like.  But in its wake will be devastated families, broken buisnesses and a load of people with more toilet paper than they know what to do with!

• Like 7

I very much doubt that the TA’s will take place.

I am waiting to see, before I cancel my cruise ( 1st August) out of Southampton to the Mediterranean.

Surely, Celebrity will cancel if the TA’s don’t take place.

In addition, Gov.UK advice is that over 70’s should not cruise, so for the decision for us will be to cancel, if Celebrity haven’t already done so.

5 hours ago, bphman said:

We were offered to bid for upgrade on this cruise.  All those empty cabins and to pay for an upgrade. What is Celebrity thinking?

42 minutes ago, pasta1 said:

We were offered to bid for upgrade on this cruise.  All those empty cabins and to pay for an upgrade. What is Celebrity thinking?

Someone in IT not up to speed ( probably as it’s the weekend).

18 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Someone in IT not up to speed ( probably as it’s the weekend).

As of this morning my sailing 23 March still tells me I am going.!!!

In answer when will they make an announcement on past experience i would say last possible minute.

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I very much doubt that the TA’s will take place.

I am waiting to see, before I cancel my cruise ( 1st August) out of Southampton to the Mediterranean.

Surely, Celebrity will cancel if the TA’s don’t take place.

In addition, Gov.UK advice is that over 70’s should not cruise, so for the decision for us will be to cancel, if Celebrity haven’t already done so.

They may decide to ship over them empty of passengers and berth somewhere then as soon as conditions improve, pick up where the next cruise is. 

• Like 2

We can safely assume that there will not be a magic calendar date in the next 30 days for sure when things get back to everyday normal.  Think of what needs to happen for cruise ports to be re-opened and for travel restrictions to and from most countries to be lifted.  Even if the virus peaks (like in China) and infections start to go down, this will take many months.  Governments will be extra cautious in lifting bans.  The world has changed.  There will be a new normal eventually.  If I had a cruise booked between now and at least June 30, I would assume it would be at least disrupted with a high chance it would be outright cancelled.  Even if ships were back in service, how many ports will you be able to get off and explore?

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If I had a cruise booked between now and at least June 30, I would assume it would be at least disrupted with a high chance it would be outright cancelled.  Even if the ship were back in service, how many ports will you be able to get off and explore?

Agreed!  I self-cancelled our May cruise and won’t look at anything prior to the Fall or early Winter.  It’s going to be a while.

Many projection models show a peak in the US at the end of April, so the New Zealand and Canada bans until June 30th / July 1st (respectively) seem more on track on the earliest period of time when the virus is being controlled (flattening out).

The guesstimate is that the U.K. is 8-12 weeks from the peak, so I would guess that the April 17 TA you are on (and that we are on) is a goner, but just not designated as such.  I would think that once they get through this current nightmare of stuck passengers, en route cancellations, etc., they will be much more organized as the month with no sailings evolves.  They are trying to keep a thousand spinning plates in the air at one time.  I can’t imagine!

• Like 3

Our transpacific is still showing as "a go" on April 25th.

This date is after the X stoppage,  and after the 30 day ban just announced in Australia. However there are also current  bans in French Polynesia, New Zealand and Vancouver (the final destination). 

But nothing from X.

Qantas will not make adjustments to our flights without serious penalties, even thougn they've already substituted a new plane, and we do not even have a seat assignment (business class). 

We are waiting until X cancels, hoping for the increased FCC to make up, only in part, for the other losses we'll incur.

To make things really right, X should offer to respect the pricing, cabin category and perks of the cancelled cruise on a new booking  whenever possible. It will cost us the same fare as our S1 (all four perks) on a future transpacific to sail in an SV (no perks).  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sippican said:

Our transpacific is still showing as "a go" on April 25th.

This date is after the X stoppage,  and after the 30 day ban just announced in Australia. However there are also current  bans in French Polynesia, New Zealand and Vancouver (the final destination). 

But nothing from X.

Qantas will not make adjustments to our flights without serious penalties, even thougn they've already substituted a new plane, and we do not even have a seat assignment (business class). 

We are waiting until X cancels, hoping for the increased FCC to make up, only in part, for the other losses we'll incur.

To make things really right, X should offer to respect the pricing, cabin category and perks of the cancelled cruise on a new booking  whenever possible. It will cost us the same fare as our S1 (all four perks) on a future transpacific to sail in an SV (no perks).  

2 hours ago, pasta1 said:

Celebrity Summit May 28 cruise is 55 percent of capacity!

Agree X needs to step up to the plate, as they ask us to pay for an upgrade with 55% capacity. They are completely lost.

• Like 3

Appears that there is some gamesmanship going on here. People are waiting to cancel in anticipation of a FCC.  I believe that it would better for all concerned if. Celebrity just announced that any person booked on a cruise that would be cancelled would receive the benefit even if the cancellation was requested in advance of the cancellation announcement People would be then encouraged to cancel and rebook for a letter date and this would provide Celebrity with some inventory control..

• Like 12

1 hour ago, hvbaskey said:

Agreed!  I self-cancelled our May cruise and won’t look at anything prior to the Fall or early Winter.  It’s going to be a while.

Many projection models show a peak in the US at the end of April, so the New Zealand and Canada bans until June 30th / July 1st (respectively) seem more on track on the earliest period of time when the virus is being controlled (flattening out).

Thank you so much for the work you have done here!  Happy sailing in the future!  🙂

5 minutes ago, Orator said:

Appears that there is some gamesmanship going on here. People are waiting to cancel in anticipation of a FCC.  I believe that it would better for all concerned if. Celebrity just announced that any person booked on a cruise that would be cancelled would receive the benefit even if the cancellation was requested in advance of the cancellation announcement People would be then encouraged to cancel and rebook for a letter date and this would provide Celebrity with some inventory control..

I agree.

To be clear, many waiting already qualify for the FCC, they/we are waiting for the enhanced FCC (125%) or the choice of a refund (which is not offered if the cruiser cancels). 

X has already alientated many by not offering compensation in line with Princess - which is more generous in terms of timeframe, FCC and refunds.  Hence the gamesmanship.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, sippican said:

I agree.

To be clear, many waiting already qualify for the FCC, they/we are waiting for the enhanced FCC (125%) or the choice of a refund (which is not offered if the cruiser cancels). 

X has already alientated many by not offering compensation in line with Princess - which is more generous in terms of timeframe, FCC and refunds.  Hence the gamesmanship.

Celebrity was offering refunds not inside the penalty box, “was” is the operative word.  I was able to snag it on the last morning offered; later that night - apparently it is FCC only.   This is a bit unfair to those who are eligible for cash refunds (in part).   The only way to get that cash is to refuse the FCC and go through your insurance company (credit or private) to retrieve the non-refundable penalty fare.

People are now waiting to cancel (ie., the gamesmanship) to see what kind of deal they are going to get, “maybe” because cash is out the window and if you are going to receive FCC only, wait it out for the best deal.   Now, cancellations won’t be staggered as they were - but in giant clusters when cruises are outright cancelled.

From what I understand, with so many cancellations it is easier for Celebrity to deal with FCC only, as it is automatic.   When there is a cash refund or split cash/FCC - that involves a lot of administrative work.   Could be totally off-base, just my thoughts

Edited by hvbaskey

Asked about cancelling my 21st April cruise this morning whilst on the phone to Celebrity UK. I am 37 days out and according to the cancellation conditions are in 50% penalty, so assumed that if I cancelled, I would get 50% cash, 50% FCC. However I was told no, it would all be given as FCC. This is a result of the changes to Cruise with Confidence last Thursday. 
What are other people’s experience recently please? 
The other option is to wait it out and see if it is cancelled anyway and then maybe get 125%FCC.

I find it interesting that people knowing they will cancel will wait in hopes of a better offer or extra 25% on FCC.  At the same time worrying that the Celebrity will stay afloat and worrying about the crews and their families.  Cash refunds deplete the day to day operating cash where FCC allow them to spread the losses over months.  

If it were my business and I was facing the uncertainty caused by so many factors out of my control I would do what RC/Celebrity and most other lines are doing.

Edited by jelayne
Typo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

Celebrity was offering refunds not inside the penalty box, “was” is the operative word.  I was able to snag it on the last morning offered; later that night - apparently it is FCC only.   This is a bit unfair to those who are eligible for cash refunds (in part).   The only way to get that cash is to refuse the FCC and go through your insurance company (credit or private) to retrieve the non-refundable penalty fare.

As a TA,  I was not aware for refunds being offered instead of FCCs uless X had cancelled the sailing. Can you be more specific?

5 minutes ago, downsmead said:

Asked about cancelling my 21st April cruise this morning whilst on the phone to Celebrity UK. I am 37 days out and according to the cancellation conditions are in 50% penalty, so assumed that if I cancelled, I would get 50% cash, 50% FCC. However I was told no, it would all be given as FCC. This is a result of the changes to Cruise with Confidence last Thursday. 
What are other people’s experience recently please? 
The other option is to wait it out and see if it is cancelled anyway and then maybe get 125%FCC.

I thought it was changed on Wednesday not Thursday.  But it was late Wednesday so it could be Thursday in UK.   Yeah they changed it to all FCC.   I cancelled Tuesday and was wondering if I would get refund or FCC... turns out I got in just in time to get the refund.

• Like 1