How long until next cancellations?

az_tchr

Come on people... most of us here are fairly loyal to Celebrity or RC.  They are in a huge crisis right now and things are changing every day.  I'd love to know what's going on with all 7 of my booked cruises.  Business owners of every size and kind of business are facing huge losses and trying to salvage what they can.  Restaurants, hotels, tour operators... the list is long.

I'm all for speculation of what they are going to do and enjoy having stuff to read while I'm sitting at home doing nothing.   Have they made some mistakes?  Of course... Do we need to vent?  Of course...  But blaming Celebrity for not posting a decision about a cruise that is 4 weeks away is just crazy.  It could change within hours.

Let's try to take a breath and be a little patient...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, UKPete71 said:

What would you like them to say? 

Well, for starters, they could answer the many questions that have been posed on this board for which there are no answers on the website and contradictory answers provided by Celebrity.

57 minutes ago, UKPete71 said:

I'm sure they've a lot on their plate already and will be announcing more cancellations in due course.

Undoubtedly. On the other hand, it would take one employee just a few minutes to identify the cruises prior to July 1 that have one or more scheduled embarkation, stops or disembarkation in Canadian ports. Due to the Canadian ban, these cruises can not proceed as scheduled. Not only have booked passengers not been informed by Celebrity of what options are even under consideration, but the website continues to accept booking with no warning to prospective passengers that the cruises are likely to be cancelled. Celebrity meanwhile will happily pocket their deposits. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

but the website continues to accept booking with no warning to prospective passengers that the cruises are likely to be cancelled. Celebrity meanwhile will happily pocket their deposits. 

Do you really think they’ve taken (m)any bookings for the second half of April and into May since their last announcement on Sunday ? 

Edited by UKPete71

1 minute ago, UKPete71 said:

Do you really think they’ve taken (m)any bookings for the second half of April and into May since their last announcement on Saturday ? 

No idea, but they continue to promote with no warnings the May Captain's Club 2020 Reunion Cruise, not only through the normal cruise finder but also on the Captain's Club webpages. Very dishonest, IMO.

501569767_ScreenShot2020-03-17at5_36_03PM.thumb.png.dc6729b7a4917c4158b50d0eb032e594.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twincheryl said:

Come on people... most of us here are fairly loyal to Celebrity or RC.  They are in a huge crisis right now and things are changing every day.  I'd love to know what's going on with all 7 of my booked cruises.  Business owners of every size and kind of business are facing huge losses and trying to salvage what they can.  Restaurants, hotels, tour operators... the list is long.

I'm all for speculation of what they are going to do and enjoy having stuff to read while I'm sitting at home doing nothing.   Have they made some mistakes?  Of course... Do we need to vent?  Of course...  But blaming Celebrity for not posting a decision about a cruise that is 4 weeks away is just crazy.  It could change within hours.

Let's try to take a breath and be a little patient...

They could be honest with their online form to get a refund for a cancelled cruise.

They say that they will send a "confirmation email shortly".

No email sent to anyone (see other posts) yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKPete71 said:

Do you really think they’ve taken (m)any bookings for the second half of April and into May since their last announcement on Sunday ? 

Somebody posted today that they just booked our 4/25 TA. So, yes, I think they are still taking bookings. 

• Like 1

As of today, all Florida public schools are closed until 15 April.  Talk about a Spring Break..  Anyway, might be another indicator that cruises will not start as soon as advertised.  😲  Just chill.  Stay safe.

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

No idea, but they continue to promote with no warnings the May Captain's Club 2020 Reunion Cruise, not only through the normal cruise finder but also on the Captain's Club webpages. Very dishonest, IMO.

501569767_ScreenShot2020-03-17at5_36_03PM.thumb.png.dc6729b7a4917c4158b50d0eb032e594.png

Celebrity Summit “X”-Night Maine & “Let’s Sea” 2020 Reunion Cruise

On May 28, you might be able to mingle with your fellow Captain’s Club members on a X-night Maine and Let’s Sea Cruise departing Cape Liberty, New Jersey.  Stops will include Cape Liberty, Cape Liberty, Sea Day, Sea Day, Cape Liberty, Cape Liberty.

Our new and revised Maine from the Sea and Let’s Sea itinerary offers the chance to really get to know Cape Liberty, giving you the urban feel of New Jersey and the New York skyline.  Plus, you’ll be immersed in the beauty of the Acadian National Park from  the Promenade Deck and then continue the experience of a life time, discovering the charm of the Atlantic Ocean.

Fine print:  Please note, despite selling you an itinerary that includes Canada, her ports are closed until July 01, 2020.  

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, jerryd1 said:

Canada has announced that their ports are closed to ships larger than 500 passengers.   Alaska cruises must, by US law, make a stop in a non US  port.      Other ports around the world have said that specific ports are closed for a specific time.   

Celebrity should acknowledge that fact and  they should either cancel/quit selling those cruises or let us know what their plan B is.    I asked Celebrity via chat about this very situation regarding our June 19 Alaska cruise out of Seattle and they indicated that we would probably hear something by the end of this week.    Coincidentally, the end of the week is right after our final payment deadline. 

If I had an Alaska cruise booked and was pre-final payment, I would cancel the cruise.  That way, you get your deposit back and you don't get stuck with FCC that you may or may not be able to use.  I'm not convinced there is going to be an Alaska cruise season this year.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

If I had an Alaska cruise booked and was pre-final payment, I would cancel the cruise.  That way, you get your deposit back and you don't get stuck with FCC that you may or may not be able to use.  I'm not convinced there is going to be an Alaska cruise season this year.

I agree with one exception....we booked with a non refundable deposit.    So, we'd get everything other than the deposit back and a FCC for the value of the deposit.    

One more nail. CNN just reported that there will be a ban on "non-essential travel" between Canada and the US.  Article suggested Mexico border possibly - this one fuzzier - same closing.  Significant flexibility mentioned. Commercial traffic not included.  Presume tourism would be excluded from crossing.

Was clear all parties have agreed to the closing and exemptions.

• Like 1

There are some cruises outside the current no sail period that could be cancelled now so that passengers can get refunds and move on with their lives. For example Solstice leaving Sydney 25 April to Hawaii via NZ and Tahiti.

1) Any person arriving in Australia from anywhere overseas now has to self isolate for 14 days. Our Solstice cruise has many passengers from the US so as it stands those people have to arrive in Australia at least 14 days prior and lock themselves away.

2) ports on New Zealand are closed to cruise ships and the lockout extends beyond our arrival dates in NZ

3) ports in French Polynesia are closed

4) if we get to Hawaii (after about 16 sea days as all transit ports are closed) then our flights back to Australia are already cancelled by Hawaiian Air. 

That is just for starters but I think it is fair bet that this cruise isn't happening and Celebrity should be making the call now.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, jerryd1 said:

I agree with one exception....we booked with a non refundable deposit.    So, we'd get everything other than the deposit back and a FCC for the value of the deposit.    

That seems like a very good deal at the moment.

7 hours ago, leck57 said:

There are some cruises outside the current no sail period that could be cancelled now so that passengers can get refunds and move on with their lives. For example Solstice leaving Sydney 25 April to Hawaii via NZ and Tahiti.

1) Any person arriving in Australia from anywhere overseas now has to self isolate for 14 days. Our Solstice cruise has many passengers from the US so as it stands those people have to arrive in Australia at least 14 days prior and lock themselves away.

2) ports on New Zealand are closed to cruise ships and the lockout extends beyond our arrival dates in NZ

3) ports in French Polynesia are closed

4) if we get to Hawaii (after about 16 sea days as all transit ports are closed) then our flights back to Australia are already cancelled by Hawaiian Air. 

That is just for starters but I think it is fair bet that this cruise isn't happening and Celebrity should be making the call now.

Yes, and the Solstice cruise right before the one you mention, April 14 - 25, begins in Auckland, with 4 port calls in New Zealand, then Melbourne, ending in Sydney on the 25th.  And the cruise after the April 25 cruise you detail above - May 11 - May 21, ends in Vancouver!  And we know that Canada has closed it's borders to cruise ships until July 1!  So, yes, these cruises will all be cancelled by Celebrity. We are awaiting the news so we can claim our cash refund......

• Like 1

I don't know why people think that the cruise business will be normal this summer. The last thing Italy and other Mediteranean country need are crowds of tourist on their shore. My Sept. is not cancelled yet but looking at the world event, no cruise will happen until next year. I'm staying home.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2020 at 9:33 PM, grandgeezer said:

Next announcement of cancellation? If they stay true to form April 9. The other lines, several days before that.

April 9??? That wouldn't exactly work well for my April 11 sailing (one they refused to cancel even though it sails on Day 28 of their "30-day" no-sail window). We've temporarily booked the same, far more expensive sailing for next year—but down payments (which can't come from FCCs) are due on April 8. I sure hope they make the announcement sooner than that.

56 minutes ago, melish27 said:

April 9??? That wouldn't exactly work well for my April 11 sailing (one they refused to cancel even though it sails on Day 28 of their "30-day" no-sail window). We've temporarily booked the same, far more expensive sailing for next year—but down payments (which can't come from FCCs) are due on April 8. I sure hope they make the announcement sooner than that.

This is just a opinion based on how they handled the first one.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:48 AM, dandee2 said:

I don't know why people think that the cruise business will be normal this summer. The last thing Italy and other Mediteranean country need are crowds of tourist on their shore. My Sept. is not cancelled yet but looking at the world event, no cruise will happen until next year. I'm staying home.

I agree, I’m not even going to start looking until 2022.

1 minute ago, patty1955 said:

I would

Said with all politeness that I can muster, and spoken from someone who got off a ship a week ago.  You'd have to be insane.

Getting on a ship with people from all over the world, NONE of which you know is COVID-19 free.  Sure, they may not exhibit symptoms now (no raised temperature) but may very well show them tomorrow.  And infect hundreds of people. 

You would have no idea which, if any, ports would receive the ship (we were barred from 6 ports).  Including not knowing whether or not you could dock at your disembarkation port (including ours).  Should I list the more than a dozen ships that have experienced blocked disembarkation ports?  Spending hours and hours on over clogged phone and internet lines changing air arrangements.  And finding the next day that the flights were canceled.  So having to spend hours and hours doing the same thing.

Literally, and I do not say this lightly, you could not pay me $10,000 to sail in the next 60 days.  Not on your life.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

They have to know the sentiment situation.

Who would even think about getting on a cruise ship any time in the next 60 days, at least?

25 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

I would

15 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Said with all politeness that I can muster, and spoken from someone who got off a ship a week ago.  You'd have to be insane.

Maybe @patty1955 just meant that she would think about it, not actually go?

Edited by Fouremco