Just booked a cruise and I feel much better

kira5

I cancelled by april 25 cruise and rebooked for Aug.  with the expectation that the worst of this corona virus will be past, that we have reliable early testing and treatment necessary for those who are stricken.

Good for you for booking!!!!!  I'm thinking of doing the same shortly

Prior to the Chinese Virus, we had two booked cruises for 2020

• Zaandam 4/21 Ft Lauderdale to Montreal &
  • K'dam  8/29 Alaska

After the Chinese Virus

• Our Zaandam cruise has yet to cancel (you can still book it..LOL) but Canada has closed their ports, so that's not going anywhere
  • I just booked air today for the Alaska trip and remaining positive this will go (BTW, air fares are good right now)
  • I want to get my FCD (with bonus) and we are eyeing the TA cruises w/cruises in Europe post TA....Good deals on those.
  • I've heard zip from HAL and TA but not concerned and not bothering them.....but as soon as that FCD hits my mariner number, it will be used quickly on a HAL cruise

Smooth sailing.......when we can again......And when that HAL horn blows on a cruise I am sailing away on, that will be when the nightmare of the Chinese Virus is over.....In the meantime, wash your hands!

2 hours ago, kira5 said:

Okay, it is for July (Canada/New England) but doing so made me feel optimistic that this too (the present situation) shall come to an end.   

I have July 11th Canada cruise booked. Not to burst your bubble but Canada closed it's ports through July 1st. Hoping they don't extend that.

I know. It does make you feel better to be planning and thinking ahead past all this. We have two cruises booked. I have started planning the first. 

I also sent a letter to Mr. Ashford telling him how much help our PCC has been in all this and how much we appreciate the hard work and long hours the crews and office staff have been putting in. It has to be pretty hard and even a bit depressing in Seattle right now. I just wanted folks to know all their hard work does not go unnoticed. 

• Like 1

The fact is that the economic repercussions of this whole virus "experience" will be such that a large number of people to put it bluntly may be possibly losing their jobs and will be in no position to cruise.

The cruise lines are just looking to take your deposits and hold the money.

You may get FCC but it will be a long time before the cruise industry gets going again.

Call me realistic. If you are in a position to cruise I am happy for you. In the meanwhile just looking to keep money coming in.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NordicPrince said:

The fact is that the economic repercussions of this whole virus "experience" will be such that a large number of people to put it bluntly may be possibly losing their jobs and will be in no position to cruise.

You may get FCC but it will be a long time before the cruise industry gets going again.

Call me realistic. If you are in a position to cruise I am happy for you. In the meanwhile just looking to keep money coming in.

I guess I really never thought about the economy and possible job loss. All I have been doing is  hoping this goes away in time for my Sept cruise. 

On 3/17/2020 at 3:01 PM, kira5 said:

Okay, it is for July (Canada/New England) but doing so made me feel optimistic that this too (the present situation) shall come to an end.   

This is what the NY Governor says...

"“Right now, in New York specifically, the rate of the curve suggests that in 45 days we could have up to an input of people who need 110,000 beds that compares to our current capacity of 53,000 beds, 37,000 ICU units, ventilators, which compares to a capacity currently of 3,000 ventilators. That’s our main issue,” Cuomo said at a press conference in Albany..."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/new-york-state-likely-has-tens-of-thousands-of-coronavirus-cases-gov-cuomo-says.html

That's why Canada needs to close its border. Once the American medical capacity is overwhelmed, there is the temptation for the infected to drive north.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

This is what the NY Governor says...

"“Right now, in New York specifically, the rate of the curve suggests that in 45 days we could have up to an input of people who need 110,000 beds that compares to our current capacity of 53,000 beds, 37,000 ICU units, ventilators, which compares to a capacity currently of 3,000 ventilators. That’s our main issue,” Cuomo said at a press conference in Albany..."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/new-york-state-likely-has-tens-of-thousands-of-coronavirus-cases-gov-cuomo-says.html

That's why Canada needs to close its border. Once the American medical capacity is overwhelmed, there is the temptation for the infected to drive north.

We're flattening the curve -- not driving north!

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 11:16 AM, NordicPrince said:

I am worried you are right. We have a June 2021 cruise booked but hopefully we can get a deal on a September 2020 trip. Fingers crossed. 

9 hours ago, Mickb said:

It’s called Covid19 not the Chinese Virus or the Italian Virus or anything else other than Covid19.

The International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses has a special Coronavirus Study Group that named this virus "The Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). 

The World Health Organization originally called the virus "Novel Coronavirus(2019-nCoV).

The new designation of "Covid-19" came into being because it is easier to say than the other two previous designations. Basically, it is a way to simplify the pronunciation of the disease for communication purposes.

In the past, we have had disease names that would be offensive in todays PC world. Swine Flu, Mexican flu, Marburg virus (named after a German university town), Hendra virus (the name of a Brisbane suburb), Zika (a forest in Uganda), Ebola (named after a river in the Democratic Republic of the Congo), and the infamous Spanish flu of 1918, are all examples of what disease naming organizations are now attempting to avoid.

WHO has tried to avoid naming diseases in a manner that would reflect poorly on any geographic area, ethnic people, or even animals.

Prior to February 11, 2020, Covid-19 had already been called a number of things: Wuhan flu, Wuhan coronavirus, and even "Wuhan seafood market pneumonia virus".

We live in a pretty funny world where hypersensitivity around names has become the norm.

If at all possible, we should live peaceably and attempt to not offend. I also think we should try to not be easily offended if others use terms we may not have chosen.

• Like 3

To bring a little levity to what has become yet another serious discussion....

Our family was supposed to be getting on a plane today and the gorgeous Nieuw Amsterdam tomorrow. Instead we are having a mini staycation as dh's business is such that now would not be a good time for too much time away. 

So on a rather rainy day here in resilient and strong Nashville we are enjoying our front porch with a snack, some lovely beverages, a nice Spotify playlist, and a video of the view from a cruise ship balcony on my Kindle complete with the wonderful sound of the waves. No worries, we are appropriately socially distanced from our neighbors. 😁Later we will order dinner from local restaurants to be delivered "no contact" to keep supporting the people we love in our community. Just our little way of making lemonade from lemons.

Stay strong and be safe y'all. 

IMG_20200320_144452637.jpg

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

To bring a little levity to what has become yet another serious discussion....

Our family was supposed to be getting on a plane today and the gorgeous Nieuw Amsterdam tomorrow. Instead we are having a mini staycation as dh's business is such that now would not be a good time for too much time away. 

So on a rather rainy day here in resilient and strong Nashville we are enjoying our front porch with a snack, some lovely beverages, a nice Spotify playlist, and a video of the view from a cruise ship balcony on my Kindle complete with the wonderful sound of the waves. No worries, we are appropriately socially distanced from our neighbors. 😁Later we will order dinner from local restaurants to be delivered "no contact" to keep supporting the people we love in our community. Just our little way of making lemonade from lemons.

Stay strong and be safe y'all. 

IMG_20200320_144452637.jpg

Now that looks like a good use of a Friday afternoon/staycation/quarantine!!

• Like 2