Celebrity is celebrating Apex arrival

verizon

On 3/20/2020 at 10:14 AM, TeeRick said:

Folks,

Such a negative reaction by some.  Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis was just trying to be hopeful.  We don't even know when the photo was taken.  We all need a little hope and positivism in our day right now.

Agree, and I would add bravo to Capt. Kafetzis.
Since the crew have been aboard the Apex for months now, they are probably safer than we would be here going to the local Walmart today. I am sure that Medical is keeping a close eye on the everyone. I wish them all the best and pray that we will see them again in the near future.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I think we need more common sense than hope and positivism.

Common sense can save your life.  Hope and positivism may help your psyche but little else.  You won't need your psyche if you didn't save your life.

So why can't we have both?  Common sense and hope and positivism??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TeeRick said:

So why can't we have both?  Common sense and hope and positivism??

Because hope and positivism too often leads to complacence or unwise behavior, which I feel that photo demonstrates if it has been shot any time in the last 3 weeks.  And I am not at all sure that they assemble the entire crew months before the inaugural sailing since the vast majority have been transferred from other ships and although training is involved, do not need the extensive training that a new hire would need.

I just think that picture sends the wrong message.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Because hope and positivism too often leads to complacence or unwise behavior, which I feel that photo demonstrates if it has been shot any time in the last 3 weeks.  And I am not at all sure that they assemble the entire crew months before the inaugural sailing since the vast majority have been transferred from other ships and although training is involved, do not need the extensive training that a new hire would need.

I just think that picture sends the wrong message.  

Sorry but I am not in much agreement with your first phrase- but I tend to try to be more positive than negative in life,  and I don't think that means I have no common sense or exhibit unwise behaviors.  But we are all different.  I understand that you are pointing out that the photo is unwise behavior at the time of mandated social distancing.  But I would like to point out that there are no positive cases of COVID-19 on APEX.  So it is just a case of the message and when it was sent.  I get it.  Would it be objectionable if the photo had positive and happy crew members standing 6 feet apart from each other?😊

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

So it is just a case of the message and when it was sent.  I get it.  Would it be objectionable if the photo had positive and happy crew members standing 6 feet apart from each other?😊

No.  Quite the opposite.  I think it would send just the positive message you want, but with a healthy dose of common sense.

We simply cannot believe the level of non-compliance we see in the US right now.  Knots of strangers in close proximity.  Just saw a guy less than an hour ago, in a public restroom, use it and then not wash his hands. And then touch doors and handles on his way out.

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

No.  Quite the opposite.  I think it would send just the positive message you want, but with a healthy dose of common sense.

We simply cannot believe the level of non-compliance we see in the US right now.  Knots of strangers in close proximity.  Just saw a guy less than an hour ago, in a public restroom, use it and then not wash his hands. And then touch doors and handles on his way out.

agreed!  As for the situation on the home front, I think to some extent it depends on your state and area of the US.  We were the first county in the first state (PA) to go full "lockdown" on March 13th.  I would say almost everybody here is taking it seriously.  Very high compliance.  Of course there will be the occasional clueless or non-compliant person putting us all at risk.  But I agree that in a lot of other states there seems to be far less urgency amongst the state/local governments and within the population.  Or too little too late.  That is very bad in a country that has free and open borders between states.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Debmill22 said:

Ours is the 13th April. Still not cancelled. Celebrity via my Travel Agent Said "if we don't want to go take the cruise with confidence option". Why when most of the ports will be closed. Just cancel.

That's just not right. The cruiselines need to give people AT LEAST 4 weeks notice. Here's a cut and paste of a response I wrote on another thread:

I applaud those that have a positive outlook which is great to have in these times, but on the other hand there also needs to be realistic expectations and a reality check.

The WORLD HAS CHANGED. Things are not the same as it was even a month ago. Let's say for discussions sake the current two week lockdown that MOST of the world is facing accomplishes the goal and 'LIKE MAGIC' the virus disappears. SO with regard to THIS particular thread the cruise is two weeks away. Let's just supposed the cruise is back on. What about the passengers who are booked? For most people, they just took a forced 2 week vacation or at minimum 2 weeks work from home. You think the people that are already booked on this cruise will now in two weeks go on their scheduled vacation? Will their company let them? Will their company have a mandatory 2 week stay home policy after they return home from their cruise? Will companies have canceled all vacations? What if the passengers have kids? Will school be in session? What if school is canceled? What do they do with their kids?

What about transportation? Airlines have cut their schedules. Are the current flights still available? What about hotels? Will they be open? What about the ports? Are they going to be open? The point I'm making is it's not all about YOUR willingness to travel. It's all the other things around you that have been affected by this virus. That's why the cruiselines need to give people at LEAST 4 weeks notice as to the status of each cruise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That's just not right. The cruiselines need to give people AT LEAST 4 weeks notice. Here's a cut and paste of a response I wrote on another thread:

I applaud those that have a positive outlook which is great to have in these times, but on the other hand there also needs to be realistic expectations and a reality check.

The WORLD HAS CHANGED. Things are not the same as it was even a month ago. Let's say for discussions sake the current two week lockdown that MOST of the world is facing accomplishes the goal and 'LIKE MAGIC' the virus disappears. SO with regard to THIS particular thread the cruise is two weeks away. Let's just supposed the cruise is back on. What about the passengers who are booked? For most people, they just took a forced 2 week vacation or at minimum 2 weeks work from home. You think the people that are already booked on this cruise will now in two weeks go on their scheduled vacation? Will their company let them? Will their company have a mandatory 2 week stay home policy after they return home from their cruise? Will companies have canceled all vacations? What if the passengers have kids? Will school be in session? What if school is canceled? What do they do with their kids?

What about transportation? Airlines have cut their schedules. Are the current flights still available? What about hotels? Will they be open? What about the ports? Are they going to be open? The point I'm making is it's not all about YOUR willingness to travel. It's all the other things around you that have been affected by this virus. That's why the cruiselines need to give people at LEAST 4 weeks notice as to the status of each cruise.  

You have put this just perfectly. Celebrity just do not seem to understand the rest of the cancellation process.  I'm in the UK however we still have car parking and hotel to cancel. 

I have explained in chat that on your page you state you follow the CDC and WHO guidelines yet you are not. They are at level 3 no non essential travel. Most ports closed yet this ship will be roaming around at sea it seems. No customer service just keep being brushed off with its going ahead but we are watching the situation......REALLY with blinkers on!!

Edited by Debmill22
Spelling error

The cost to build the Apex is a staggering billion dollars. Doubt the ship will have a paying passenger before 2021.  As others are saying do the math very hard to see how Celebrity and Royal can survive this complete shutdown 

What is wrong with you people?  Negative negative negative.   I need and want something positive in my life right now and this picture made me smile.  It made me think of my future cruises and how much I am looking forward to them.  Calm seas everyone...

• Like 7

I am booked on the Apex for an October cruise out of Barcelona.  I am in a wait and see mode.  

Regarding RCL's financial condition,  the banks, other creditors, and shareholders will work an arrangement to keep the company in business.  They have no other choice. But having said that, we are heading into uncharted financial waters given the real possibility of the near total collapse of the economy's of most of the richest countries in the world as a consequence of the Corona virus . The 2020 is going to be a sh$@ show.  

• Like 1

That picture is in poor taste given the current circumstances worldwide.

I am not quick to blame the captain, as he and the crew live aboard the vessel in close quarters and must maintain morale, along with a degree of ignorance about what life is like in our land-based home towns since all the C19-based changes took place.

I do, however, strongly criticize the Celebrity/RCL home office for their unacceptably weak handling of this crisis.  It's been one poor decision after another, often requiring extreme external pressure to cause them to act and even then doing only the bare minimum that is necessary

This entire debacle so far has made me think seriously about how unseen past corporate-led shortcuts, weak decisions, or leadership lapses may affect the deeper parts of the organization's safety and security culture.

I enjoyed the photo and the positive attitude it resonates!  I'm booked on the Apex for November and I'm looking forward to it!  I just made a reservation for Fine Cut Steakhouse and paid $1000 on my balance.  I am also going to plan excursions as usual.   

• Like 5

On 3/19/2020 at 8:57 PM, ashley@cruisecritic said:

I love this! Nice to see some good things happening in the industry, despite the current state of things.

I don't see how they'd be able to socially distance themselves on a ship with it being such a confined space. Plus it's all the same people with nobody new coming or going. If they haven't found coronavirus onboard by now, it seems unlikely they will.

I agree Ashley. It's so hopeful! hopefully we will be able to get onboard soon!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 9:38 PM, hcat said:

So much for social distancing....

On 3/21/2020 at 9:36 PM, isdoo said:

Poor message to send out from Celebrity / Apex

Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis should be ashamed of himself. 

Not a good example to set.

I have just had a facetime call from one of the staff on Apex.

they are all together since February - basically under quarantene.

Even the local workers must stay on the ship, so there should be no issue with infection that requires social distancing.

so, there you go!

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Yoshikitty said:

Even the local workers must stay on the ship, so there should be no issue with infection that requires social distancing.

so, there you go!

That might be so - but the message that is being sent isn't one that we ought to encourage. 

I assume food and other supplies are taken on and therefore anyone one person could infect a member of crew very easily. There is no guarantee......

Fingers crossed they will al be okay and nothing will affect them.

38 minutes ago, Yoshikitty said:

so, there you go!

Hope they are taking temps daily and limiting  large gatherings! It  only takes one to start a cluster. 

Wishing those on board good health!.  Guess they are the Ultimate Inagural Sailing!

36 minutes ago, isdoo said:

That might be so - but the message that is being sent isn't one that we ought to encourage. 

I assume food and other supplies are taken on and therefore anyone one person could infect a member of crew very easily. There is no guarantee......

Fingers crossed they will al be okay and nothing will affect them.

Anyone, anywhere, could easily be infected in their own home town by a trip to the local grocery store. There is no guarantee..... 

• Like 1