Celebrity is celebrating Apex arrival

verizon

1 hour ago, verizon said:

Will Coronavirus still spreading in Europe?

So far it´s still spreading... Italy is shut down, as well as France and Spain. Here in Germany we are basically shut down but still allowed to walk, run in the park keeping the needed distance.

steamboats

4 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Will Celebrity still exist by 20 May?

Yes they will be around but Apex will not be sailing out of Barcelona in time for the May sailing or anytime shortly after.

18 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Yes they will be around but Apex will not be sailing out of Barcelona in time for the May sailing or anytime shortly after.

We need to hope for a shortened Med Season not only for Apex but also other ships as of July, maybe as of Mid June if things drastically improve anything before seems completely unrealistic per current status.

9 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

We need to hope for a shortened Med Season not only for Apex but also other ships as of July, maybe as of Mid June if things drastically improve anything before seems completely unrealistic per current status.

I would love to see the ships on track for the Mediterranean even July would be great to see. I cancelled my Apex cruise out of Rome on May 30th. So disappointed but I'll be back. 😀

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I would love to see the ships on track for the Mediterranean even July would be great to see. I cancelled my Apex cruise out of Rome on May 30th. So disappointed but I'll be back. 😀

I really hope so, but at this stage we even need to expect a fully cancelled season. Although if things will better and allow sailings even as of August I could imagine that ships that are already in Europe now, such as Constellation, Apex or from Royal Allure that these would even be able to offer a mini season for a month or so out of the Med instead of moving them early to North America where you anyway have a over capacity of cruise ships and it will take time for demand to go up even once cruising will commence.

You're wasting energy wishing for any cruise until the end of the year. Fort-Lauderdale doesn't want the Zaandam now, so why Barcelona be different come July or August?. They won't want tourist that bad. And beside, good luck finding a Health Insurance that will cover you for Covid-19. If cruise happen, the will have to change maritime law to permit US ports only.

I read that some ship renovation have been cancelled (don't remember which one). It will probably better off for some company to write-off some of their ship completely and don't bother will dry-dock. They will have over-capacity for quite some time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dandee2 said:

You're wasting energy wishing for any cruise until the end of the year. Fort-Lauderdale doesn't want the Zaandam now, so why Barcelona be different come July or August?. They won't want tourist that bad. And beside, good luck finding a Health Insurance that will cover you for Covid-19. If cruise happen, the will have to change maritime law to permit US ports only.

I read that some ship renovation have been cancelled (don't remember which one). It will probably better off for some company to write-off some of their ship completely and don't bother will dry-dock. They will have over-capacity for quite some time. 

Agree, until a vaccine is developed, cruising will be non-existent.  No cruise line will take a chance on having to turn back to put everyone in quarantine and lose all that money.  Maybe Warren Buffet can buy Celebrity.  He has like 120 billion in cash. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dandee2 said:

What does Ft Lauderdale not taking Zaandam now has to do with Barcelona in July or August?

Fact is that Europe is a few weeks ahead of the US regarding the virus development, the rest no one  knows at this time.

Some lucky crew members on Apex are in the brand new guest staterooms apparently. Those using the top bunk in their crew quarters were allowed to move into guest staterooms to help with self isolation. Same applied to crew sharing toilet/bathroom facilities.

If this has been reported already please don't tell me off again! 

What does Ft Lauderdale not taking Zaandam now has to do with Barcelona in July or August?   Fact is that Europe is a few weeks ahead of the US regarding the virus development, the rest no one  knows at this time.

Ft Lauderdale has historically welcomed cruise ships and they have been a major part of the local economy. Barcelona has large local anti cruise ship sentiment. Not only cruise ship passengers. Barcelona is said to be over touristed. Before these events some local activists wanted cruise ships away or severely limited. That included major local elected officials. So it could be speculated that cruise ships might not be welcomed back to Barcelona for a long time .....if ever.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jul/05/barcelona-mayor-promises-crackdown-cruise-ships

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

11 hours ago, dandee2 said:

Hi Dan,  This is a very pessimistic forecast although not without some foundation. Interesting to see that 'cruise with confidence' has now been extended to 1 September.  I agree that the cruise lines will have over-capacity for quite some time. However, I still think they are not yet planning to cancel  the European season completely ... or do you think it's going to be  death by a thousand cuts??

8 hours ago, Esprit said:

Some lucky crew members on Apex are in the brand new guest staterooms apparently. Those using the top bunk in their crew quarters were allowed to move into guest staterooms to help with self isolation. Same applied to crew sharing toilet/bathroom facilities.

If this has been reported already please don't tell me off again! 

I didn’t know this, thanks for sharing. 😊

Have you heard from Valentina lately? Hope she is Ok.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:14 AM, TeeRick said:

Folks,

Such a negative reaction by some.  Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis was just trying to be hopeful.  We don't even know when the photo was taken.  We all need a little hope and positivism in our day right now.

Booked for 2/20/2021.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

I didn’t know this, thanks for sharing. 😊

Have you heard from Valentina lately? Hope she is Ok.

Thanks for asking C-Dragons.

She isn’t working for Celebrity anymore. Doing the Edge inaugural took its toll. The bad reviews slated her and many others that worked so hard in Miami and France before the TA to Miami and the grand opening.

She is very well whilst living in locked down Madrid. Keeps in touch with her old ship mates including one aboard Apex.

4 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Thanks for asking C-Dragons.

She isn’t working for Celebrity anymore. Doing the Edge inaugural took its toll. The bad reviews slated her and many others that worked so hard in Miami and France before the TA to Miami and the grand opening.

She is very well whilst living in locked down Madrid. Keeps in touch with her old ship mates including one aboard Apex.

So sorry to hear this. We thought Valentina was delightful.
Unfortunately there were some hiccups when the Edge first came out, that were caused by directives from Miami, and certain members of the staff on board took the brunt of the criticism by the passengers. We wish Valentina the best.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

That could be premature. I was wanting to do a Caribbean cruise in January but will wait and see at the end of this year.

We booked it a long time ago.

As long as it isn't canceled by X we will be on it.

YMMV. 

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:
The interesting part of the article is that 144 out of 157 did not show symptoms.  That is scary for the spread.  

Edited by NMTraveller

12 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

So sorry to hear this. We thought Valentina was delightful.
Unfortunately there were some hiccups when the Edge first came out, that were caused by directives from Miami, and certain members of the staff on board took the brunt of the criticism by the passengers. We wish Valentina the best.

Thank you for your kind words. I will pass on your best wishes to Valentina.

• Like 1

Apex is still docked in the shipyard in Saint-Nazaire in France.

Somebody earlier in the thread reported that it was formally handed-over to Celebrity last Friday. I would suspect this handover was something Celebrity were actually trying to delay for as long as possible in order to avoid the associated payment milestone, which would have been quite substantial.