Celebrity is celebrating Apex arrival

verizon

15 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

We booked it a long time ago.

As long as it isn't canceled by X we will be on it.

YMMV. 

My wife and I have long been booked on that October TA cruise as well.  Not bringing it up in the cruise thread as folks are focusing on the positive there, but I think it unlikely we sail.  I have already given up on our August booking.

18 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I won’t book a cruise until there is a vaccine. Hopefully Celebrity will still be in business. I guess I am not helping though. I would not chance them holding my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

An effective vaccine is not a "given".  Hopefully there will be one soon but how long has the world been waiting for an HIV vaccine?  So if no vaccine comes along- are you done with cruising forever?  Even if there are no cases of COVID-19 around anymore at some point in the future?  We humans might end up defeating this virus the age-old way by natural immunity.  Or maybe a good anti-viral drug will come along.  

• Like 1

An effective vaccine is not a "given".  Hopefully there will be one soon but how long has the world been waiting for an HIV vaccine?  So if no vaccine comes along- are you done with cruising forever?  Even if there are no cases of COVID-19 around anymore at some point in the future?  We humans might end up defeating this virus the age-old way by natural immunity.  Or maybe a good anti-viral drug will come along.  

A lot is known about coronaviruses and there will be a vaccine. There are already candidates. The main problem after a safe vaccine is developed will be manufacture and distribution.

Yes, I am done with cruising while COVID-19 is still around.

Not a hard decision to make. The mega ship cruises have gotten worse with every sailing as the cruise lines cram in more cabins with every dry dock. My last few sailings on large ships were less than stellar. Allure of the Seas in January the food sucked and the ship was dirty. Reflection in December the buffet was awful and half the ship was sick. Harmony in January 2019 was just okay. Summit in June 2019 was okay. The only good sailing was Oceania last August. Unusually and luckily because of those recent experiences I had nothing booked for 2020 except a wait list on Oceania which I didn’t book when it cleared. Possibly I may never cruise again. Time will tell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

A lot is known about coronaviruses and there will be a vaccine. There are already candidates. The main problem after a safe vaccine is developed will be manufacture and distribution.

Yes, I am done with cruising while COVID-19 is still around.

Not a hard decision to make. The mega ship cruises have gotten worse with every sailing as the cruise lines cram in more cabins with every dry dock. My last few sailings on large ships were less than stellar. Allure of the Seas in January the food sucked and the ship was dirty. Reflection in December the buffet was awful and half the ship was sick. Harmony in January 2019 was just okay. Summit in June 2019 was okay. The only good sailing was Oceania last August. Unusually and luckily because of those recent experiences I had nothing booked for 2020 except a wait list on Oceania which I didn’t book when it cleared. Possibly I may never cruise again. Time will tell.

Charles- I share your hope about vaccines but I spent most of my career working in R&D for major companies developing vaccines.  Candidate vaccines will come - a lot of them.  They will be rushed into testing.  I totally agree with you on manufacturing and distribution limitations.  And cost is always a part of the picture in some countries.  The world is focusing on this approach and rightly so.  But success in vaccines is never guaranteed unfortunately.  But I remain hopeful.  Here's to hoping that you and I cruise again (perhaps in a year?or two?) without being concerned about COVID-19 !  My next cruise is August 2021 and I plan to be on it!

Just now, TeeRick said:

Charles- I share your hope about vaccines but I spent most of my career working in R&D for major companies developing vaccines.  Candidate vaccines will come - a lot of them.  They will be rushed into testing.  I totally agree with you on manufacturing and distribution limitations.  And cost is always a part of the picture in some countries.  The world is focusing on this approach and rightly so.  But success in vaccines is never guaranteed unfortunately.  But I remain hopeful.  Here's to hoping that you and I cruise again (perhaps in a year?or two?) without being concerned about COVID-19 !  My next cruise is August 2021 and I plan to be on it!

The cruises planned for the next year should not be affected. The vaccine might appear by the end of this year. Maybe earlier if somehow countries develop a common solution to the crisis. As far as the cruise industry goes - no changes here. The vacant cabins today will be overbooked by the end of the year. The prices will be sky high for the cruisers next year 

2 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

The cruises planned for the next year should not be affected. The vaccine might appear by the end of this year. Maybe earlier if somehow countries develop a common solution to the crisis. As far as the cruise industry goes - no changes here. The vacant cabins today will be overbooked by the end of the year. The prices will be sky high for the cruisers next year 

Very overly optimistic and I do wish that you are right.  But not counting on it.

• Like 1

You can't have assets that are draining your money. Overcapacity will be there for a while. Maybe time to retire some ships, send them to Alang and write-off their value. You can't cruise with half empty ship.

Maybe the swan song for Mega Ship. Who knows.

• Like 1

Very slim chance they'll go under (re-org is possible) or even have problems filling the ship when sailings resume as even now their pricing model has been very dependent on drastically reducing fares several weeks before the sail date.  What is a strong possibility is pre-C19 cruise experience may be different than the post-C19 experience.  From less complimentary offerings, to more dining upcharges, more/increased on board costs/fees, less staff, etc, all are very real possibilities.

7 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Very slim chance they'll go under (re-org is possible) or even have problems filling the ship when sailings resume as even now their pricing model has been very dependent on drastically reducing fares several weeks before the sail date.  What is a strong possibility is pre-C19 cruise experience may be different than the post-C19 experience.  From less complimentary offerings, to more dining upcharges, more/increased on board costs/fees, less staff, etc, all are very real possibilities.

Virtually no chance of rising fares/lower amenities.

These ships are going to be absurdly difficult to fill.  And the only way you are going to even get a reasonable pax load is to severely depress pricing.  Millions of frequent cruisers like us (80+ sailings, 11 booked) have real reservations about sailing anytime in the next year.  Do you think all this horrible news (Summit, Eclipse, Diamond Princess, Zaandam, etc. etc.) is going to cause infrequent (or first time) cruisers to say, "wow, a cruise is really what I want to do.  And so reasonable at only $500 per day!!)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Virtually no chance of rising fares/lower amenities.

These ships are going to be absurdly difficult to fill.  And the only way you are going to even get a reasonable pax load is to severely depress pricing.  Millions of frequent cruisers like us (80+ sailings, 11 booked) have real reservations about sailing anytime in the next year.  Do you think all this horrible news (Summit, Eclipse, Diamond Princess, Zaandam, etc. etc.) is going to cause infrequent (or first time) cruisers to say, "wow, a cruise is really what I want to do.  And so reasonable at only $500 per day!!)

I didn't say rising fares, although some who are trying to take advantage of the FCC say they are finding fares more expensive.  Rising the amenities package costs, drinks packages/internet/specialty dining/excursions/etc could all increase especially after a certain timeframe.  Perks devalued, like the alcoholic drinks pricing can rise and no longer be in the drink package.  Right now you can get multiple entrees in the MDR, generally there aren't MDR up-charges for premium things like lobster, all of that is a realistic change.

5 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I didn't say rising fares, although some who are trying to take advantage of the FCC say they are finding fares more expensive.  Rising the amenities package costs, drinks packages/internet/specialty dining/excursions/etc could all increase especially after a certain timeframe.  Perks devalued, like the alcoholic drinks pricing can rise and no longer be in the drink package.  Right now you can get multiple entrees in the MDR, generally there aren't MDR up-charges for premium things like lobster, all of that is a realistic change.

You are right, you did not say rising fares.  When I wrote "fares" I should have written total cost, taking into account the rising costs you cite.

Still don't think any of this will happen.  I expect to re-fare most if not all of the ones we have booked (that actually go that is) with lower fares.  And the cuts you think might happen probably wouldn't last through the first couple sailings.  I really don't think that people are that desperate to cruise (going forward) that they would accept a devalued experience.  I know we wouldn't.  In that scenario, we would cancel all 11 we have booked.

3 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Do you think all this horrible news (Summit, Eclipse, Diamond Princess, Zaandam, etc. etc.) is going to cause infrequent (or first time) cruisers to say, "wow, a cruise is really what I want to do.  And so reasonable at only $500 per day!!)

Add RCCL's Oasis to that list. My March 15th cruise was cancelled hours before my flight to Miami. Seems 14 crew members recently tested positive for CV 19. On the cruise prior to ours March 8th sailing according to this board all was fine. Apparently not so. Glad we escaped being sick or quarantined. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

You are right, you did not say rising fares.  When I wrote "fares" I should have written total cost, taking into account the rising costs you cite.

Still don't think any of this will happen.  I expect to re-fare most if not all of the ones we have booked (that actually go that is) with lower fares.  And the cuts you think might happen probably wouldn't last through the first couple sailings.  I really don't think that people are that desperate to cruise (going forward) that they would accept a devalued experience.  I know we wouldn't.  In that scenario, we would cancel all 11 we have booked.

If you have enough status (with CC in X's case), for the most part you won't see a huge reduction amenities.  Yet I'm not saying you cut the staff/crew in half and everything on the MDR costs money other than hot dogs and burgers.  Everything will be a very small increase, shave a crew member here and there, have an upcharge only for the lobster, increase the specialty dining packages by $5.  Very small increments.

On 4/1/2020 at 5:26 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

If you have enough status (with CC in X's case), for the most part you won't see a huge reduction amenities.  Yet I'm not saying you cut the staff/crew in half and everything on the MDR costs money other than hot dogs and burgers.  Everything will be a very small increase, shave a crew member here and there, have an upcharge only for the lobster, increase the specialty dining packages by $5.  Very small increments.

So business as usual? Do remember we are in a global recession.

Edited by OuiOnboard

15 hours ago, corgidog59 said:

Oops.... Looks like the Apex has turned into the latest hot zone.  Who'd a thought a brand new ship that hasn't made its maiden voyage is now contaminated. 🛳️😔

Might be more appropriate to continue  conversation  on  the newer thread   b/c  APEX no longer Celebrating.

On 4/1/2020 at 10:40 AM, Roger88 said:

Those old people who used to cruise are not allowed to cruise because they are too old or no longer alive.  Younger cruisers have lost half their investments, thousands have lost their businesses or jobs.  Many will think that those ships that were denied landing in ports could have affected them.  Some people will believe those that say this is under control, others are burying loved ones.  No way will things return to "normal" by next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Argo. said:

Those old people who used to cruise are not allowed to cruise because they are too old or no longer alive.  Younger cruisers have lost half their investments, thousands have lost their businesses or jobs.  Many will think that those ships that were denied landing in ports could have affected them.  Some people will believe those that say this is under control, others are burying loved ones.  No way will things return to "normal" by next year.

100% agree.  What ship were you on btw?

I don't believe anyone will be allowed to return without proof of vaccination.  Port authorities will demand it, if not the cruise lines themselves.  Who will go bankrupt, gone through acquisition, or had to sell inventory?  I expect to see older ships disappear to independent buyers, new cruise lines form, and a return to pricing we saw a decade or two ago.

"Got my 4 night Delta Cruise Line booked for 2023, great deal at $1,200 for an inside cabin."

14 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I don't believe anyone will be allowed to return without proof of vaccination.  Port authorities will demand it, if not the cruise lines themselves.  Who will go bankrupt, gone through acquisition, or had to sell inventory?  I expect to see older ships disappear to independent buyers, new cruise lines form, and a return to pricing we saw a decade or two ago.

"Got my 4 night Delta Cruise Line booked for 2023, great deal at $1,200 for an inside cabin."

Hmmm. That's a thought. Maybe I should be looking at 2022. According to recent models this could go on for another 18 - 24 months. Similarities to the Spanish flu January 1918 to December 1920. 

16 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

That is assuming that there will be an effective vaccine and that if there is one the cruising population will have access to the limited doses that will be initially available.  I do not feel like these are good assumptions right now.  Even if a vaccine becomes available (next year? and this is a big if) ) it will not be manufactured and distributed easily to everybody worldwide and the dosages will be rationed and prioritized.  I don't think prospective cruise ship passengers needing a vaccination certificate will be high on the initial priority lists in most countries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Healthy Seniors will continue to cruise.   If a medical certificate is needed, so be it.

Cruise ships will no longer be a viable alternative to nursing homes or assisted living unless some ships are designated for this population.

Now is the time to lose weight and get your diabetes under control.   We should all aim to be healthy enough to take a cruise in the future.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Healthy Seniors will continue to cruise.   If a medical certificate is needed, so be it.

Cruise ships will no longer be a viable alternative to nursing homes or assisted living unless some ships are designated for this population.

Now is the time to lose weight and get your diabetes under control.   We should all aim to be healthy enough to take a cruise in the future.

What a condescending and totally unnecessary post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Very big lack of insight...controlled diabetes and high blood pressure are serious risk factors for any age,

Insulting to seniors..

Hope you always stay as perfect and  young  as you think you are!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1