P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Your daughter loosing power got me thinking ,we know the worst of this storm is yet to come 

so if you think it's going to be really bad in your area ,get the house warmed up ready for any 

power failure and if possible if you have them ,make up a couple of flasks with hot drinks .

A few years back we bought a small brief case style 2 ring camp cooker with gas cartridges

included .Thankfully I have never needed to use it but it's sat there stored with a pack of

tea lights and a torch should our power go .

Kalos, a few folk seem to be struggling with the wind, how are you coping ?🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I see London and the South East is now in the Red Zone, so I’m not particularly looking forward to today. I remember the Great Storm in 1987, and that wasn’t much fun. I drove to work the following morning, and literally had to weave between fallen trees.

stay safe everyone

We were in Lanzarote during the great storm. It didn't affect us at all. Until we got back. My company had taken my car from the airport and kept it nice and safe under the lean to at Sevenoaks. No lean to, only one oak and a dented roof. Oh well, we had a nice tan.

• Like 1

All still calm here but blue sky gone. Just seen a heartwarming site. We have cows and sheep in the farmers fields at the bottom of our garden. The cows go inside over winter but not always the sheep. Looking out of our bedroom window just now I saw the farmer and sheepdog herding them towards the farm buildings at the bottom of the field. I don’t know how sturdy the buildings are but they will offer some protection to the sheep. Our other concern is that between us and the fields there is a narrow wood. The fields and the wood all used to be owned by Sir Geoffrey Hulton. When he died several years ago it went to his nephew who has sold it all to Peel Holdings! We have been fighting their plans to build a golf course and at least 2 thousand houses on this site but, despite help from local MPs it looks like they will win. In the wood at the bottom of our garden a huge tree died a few years ago and Peel Holdings eventually had it taken down. If it had fallen our way it would have devastated our garden. While we were in the Caribbean in December a small one fell into our next door neighbours garden and demolished a number of mature shrubs. I just hope that the winds today don’t cause anymore damage. 

B8AEB676-F4FC-4FA0-9567-41D3BE05EF58.jpeg

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Jennizor said:

All still calm here but blue sky gone. Just seen a heartwarming site. We have cows and sheep in the farmers fields at the bottom of our garden. The cows go inside over winter but not always the sheep. Looking out of our bedroom window just now I saw the farmer and sheepdog herding them towards the farm buildings at the bottom of the field. I don’t know how sturdy the buildings are but they will offer some protection to the sheep. Our other concern is that between us and the fields there is a narrow wood. The fields and the wood all used to be owned by Sir Geoffrey Hulton. When he died several years ago it went to his nephew who has sold it all to Peel Holdings! We have been fighting their plans to build a golf course and at least 2 thousand houses on this site but, despite help from local MPs it looks like they will win. In the wood at the bottom of our garden a huge tree died a few years ago and Peel Holdings eventually had it taken down. If it had fallen our way it would have devastated our garden. While we were in the Caribbean in December a small one fell into our next door neighbours garden and demolished a number of mature shrubs. I just hope that the winds today don’t cause anymore damage. 

B8AEB676-F4FC-4FA0-9567-41D3BE05EF58.jpeg

You have a lovely view from your garden, I hope it stays that way for you.

All quiet here at the moment too, we only live about a mile inland from the coast so I expect we will get rain & winds soon

Michelle

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, kalos said:

Watching Heathrow airport live and due to the wind shear I've seen 5 go around flights 

up to yet and the wind is still increasing over the next 2 hours :classic_ohmy:

Very relieved that my son isn't rostered to fly today! 

Hope everyone stays safe.

Edited by Astrajet
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Just been reading the BBC weather news and realise my concerns about the weather heading our way is nothing like what a lot of you might experience. My apologies. 

I'm the other side of the Pennines to you and we usually have some protection from westerly weather. It was quite calm and sunny earlier, but the skies have just darkened considerably and the wind is begining to pick up. Not looking forward to this at all.

Stay safe everyone.

Avril

• Like 4

Winds have increased substantially in Southampton recently with proper waves on Southampton water which is rare and lampposts rocking, looking at Solent ships netley and town quay cams. No cruise ship would be departing or arriving in those conditions, fortunately none scheduled for today.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Watching Heathrow airport live and due to the wind shear I've seen 5 go around flights 

https://youtu.be/vPQh1FrbOc0     Live stream 

The inane babble puts me off, so I watch with the sound muted.

I think he got his knowledge from the Ladybird book of flying.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The inane babble puts me off, so I watch with the sound muted.

I think he got his knowledge from the Ladybird book of flying.

I know where your coming from he does your nut in but he has got a lot of interest today 

He has just had ITV live using his footage and radio 2 wants to join him about 12.20 today.

Do you think that could catch on ,plane spotting on the radio ?? :classic_unsure::classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

I know where your coming from he does your nut in but he has got a lot of interest today 

He has just had ITV live using his footage and radio 2 wants to join him about 12.20 today.

Do you think that could catch on ,plane spotting on the radio ?? :classic_unsure::classic_biggrin:

Raining quite heavy here in Stoke now but only a slight breeze.

1 hour ago, kalos said:

https://youtu.be/vPQh1FrbOc0     Live stream 

Reminds me of our trip to Cuba in the noughties.Mega storm at Gatwick,sitting in the "vip" lounge courtesy of TC.One and a half hours into our diy freepour voddie fest,water started dripping thru ceiling and the 10ft blind at the window next to me crashed to the floor.My Mrs coming out of the toilet came running over said what have you bloody done.I said, nothing, just drinking my voddie.Anyway we get on the brand new TC 767 and the toe tug pushing us off had its windows blown in.1 hr delay sweeping glass off the taxiway.On takeoff we dropped like a stone twice.Even the FAs were screaming and crying.Thank god I sat there grinning in my drunken stupour,if I was sober I'd be screaming the loudest.I think it was the last plane out that night.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jasperado said:

I'm on the Isle of Wight, really quite bad here. 122mph gust recorded at the Needles a short while ago. We've lost the plastic edging to our roof tiles, hope that's all that happens. Take care.

We've just booked 2 caravans at Lower Hythe for May bank holiday.Hope they're still gonna be there.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We've just booked 2 caravans at Lower Hythe for May bank holiday.Hope they're still gonna be there.

You can rent the 4 berth I've got in our back garden Brian ,I didn't own one until the winds came :classic_wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 11