P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 minutes ago, brian1 said:

That brings back memories.Back in the day I drove the whole of the M6 from Penrith in my van in those conditions.The visibility from spray from lorries and the storm was frightening.

I have to go a short way on M6 this morning and it has just said on local news there is a tree fallen on northbound carriageway so looks like an alternative route home unless they clear it quickly 

I think i need to live in the sun somewhere!! ☀️

Michelle

• Like 6

Watched 4 in a bed yesterday (don't worry Sharon it's not one of those channels).OMG,the Mr and Mrs Buckets on there don't do themselves any favours.If I was a millionaire I wouldn't touch their 200 quid a night rooms with a bargepole.

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Watched 4 in a bed yesterday (don't worry Sharon it's not one of those channels).OMG,the Mr and Mrs Buckets on there don't do themselves any favours.If I was a millionaire I wouldn't touch their 200 quid a night rooms with a bargepole.

I love watching 4 in a bed, they all think that their places are up there with 5 star hotels.  How many people climb up and check the top of wardrobes or dismantle the plumbing in hotel rooms ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, brian1 said:

That brings back memories.Back in the day I drove the whole of the M6 from Penrith in my van in those conditions.The visibility from spray from lorries and the storm was frightening.

I can remember as a student hitch hiking down the M6 from Lancaster in a lorry when the lorry in front went over on its side! No one was hurt fortunately but I was very nervous on the rest of the journey

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I can remember as a student hitch hiking down the M6 from Lancaster in a lorry when the lorry in front went over on its side! No one was hurt fortunately but I was very nervous on the rest of the journey

Mrs K will not be happy until our lad phones her tonight and tells her the lorry is parked up 

for the night and is still upright and he is fed and watered in some Godforsaken truck stop.

I suppose it's what mums do but to be fair I'm glad to hear from him too when the weathers 

bad .  

Nice to see some are getting out to the pubs for a meal even if the meals are getting smaller 

and the prices are on the up . I suppose it's a small price to pay as already pointed out some 

out there will be struggling to put a meal on the table ,so we are the fortunate ones really :classic_smile:

Some pub meals are better than others The worst pub I’ve ever been to was called The Fiddle.

It really was a vile Inn.:classic_wink::classic_unsure:

Take care and stay safe everyone  :classic_love::classic_smile:

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

TBH,it's been quite normal for months now.Some still wear masks but not many.Hotel breakfast buffets have also been self serve free for alls for ages now.Brian.

We go out to eat 2, or 3 times a week. Deals are starting to appear again. I will confess, I have never, ever worn a mask whilst eating.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

The wind gusts here seem to be as strong as Friday.  I have been invited to an archery evening but unless the weather improves I won't be going even though it is only 5 minutes away in the car.

Take care everyone who has to go out today.

I would stay well clear until the wind drops a bit 🤣

41 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I love watching 4 in a bed, they all think that their places are up there with 5 star hotels.  How many people climb up and check the top of wardrobes or dismantle the plumbing in hotel rooms ?

LOL,I'm sure it's all stage managed but some of those people shoot themselves in the foot with their attitude.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Those were the days! Scary! Amazing how many lorries were prepared to stop for students back then - university scarves paid for themselves many times over. Wife and I both hitched everywhere, in her case all over Europe, and we tried to repay that when we could afford a car. Times change, I suppose, and neither of our children ever hitched, even as students. It’s more or less died out now, apart from trade plates. More money around, I suppose.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Those were the days! Scary! Amazing how many lorries were prepared to stop for students back then - university scarves paid for themselves many times over. Wife and I both hitched everywhere, in her case all over Europe, and we tried to repay that when we could afford a car. Times change, I suppose, and neither of our children ever hitched, even as students. It’s more or less died out now, apart from trade plates. More money around, I suppose.

It was also the time of The Yorkshire Ripper!!

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Until the last 5 years our cruising was split equally across Princess, Celebrity and P&O, with the occasional foray into RCL, but now that we no longer fly our cruising is restricted to Southampton, and we find that P&Os year round cruising offers far more cruises from Southampton, especially in the variety of itineries and ships. The other main reason since 2017 is pricing, the devaluation in sterling definitely made cruising on US  dollar based cruise lines a lot more expensive, and since we only cruise so we can enjoy a hotter weather holiday we dont really bother about the itinerary, apart from trying to  avoid tender ports, and those with poor wheelchair accessibility.

Not sure what category that puts us in?

The sensible category I would say

Avril

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not so safe nowadays either Harry. If I thought my Grandchildren were doing that now I'd never rest.

Avril

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Not so safe nowadays either Harry. If I thought my Grandchildren were doing that now I'd never rest.

Avril

That’s my perception too, Avril. But whether I’m basing it on fact or age I don’t know. It’s still statistically far more likely that they’ll meet a road accident than someone who’ll harm them, and even that’s far more likely within families than from strangers.

When my wife was hitching round Europe with her boyfriend at the age of 16 in the 60s it was far more common, people were more used to giving lifts, and the British were loved in Europe. All of that’s changed now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

A lot of transport companies do not allow passengers in their cabs now ,excuse being insurance .Back in the good old days when you could ,I saw a hitch hiker stood at the Motherwell /Hamilton junction but he was heading south so a few hours later on my way home I stopped for him .

He was hoping to get to London but I said "I'll get you as far as Yorkshire" . He said he was from Germany and touring the UK ,not much more out of him as he fell asleep . Once he woke up he was grumpy and said "why are we not there yet ?"  He was even less pleased when I said I will be stopping for a break .Just top side of York A64 I pulled into a roadside cafe . On entering The cafe I was heading for the loo when he Chimed up "want a drink driver ?"  which made me think ,he's not so bad after all :classic_smile: On coming out I saw him sat at his table ,"Your drinks on the counter " he said . As as I picked the tea up the lady behind the counter said " excuse me love ..The tea needs paying for ! "   After finishing our drinks he got up and started playing on a bandit machine . I told him "it's time to go "  He told me wait and then went to the loo . Some of you maybe surprised to find out I completed my journey without him . From that day I have only stopped for trade plates and would stop for armed forces guys but these days as said a lot of companies would not allow you to do so.

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4

Good morning from the balmy Borough of Barnsley. Sorry that should be barmy borough😉

The weather here over the last 24 hours has been confusing to say the least. Gale force winds, heavy rain, sleet, hailstones, snow, clear blue skies, gentle breezes and sunshine, with temperatures ranging between 9c and -2c.The winds last night were the worst so far and we now have a gentle breeze and the sun is out.🙄

The news of rivers breaking their banks, flooding and homes being evacuated is terrible. I think some of our posters live in or around those areas, so I hope eveyone is safe and well. 

The optimist in me is hoping that we are having March winds (gales) and April showers (downpours) in February so Spring can arrive earlier🤞

If you have to be out and about today, take extra care and stay safe.

Avril

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

A lot of transport companies do not allow passengers in their cabs now ,excuse being insurance .

Back in the good old days when you could ,I saw a hitch hiker stood at the Motherwell /Hamilton 

junction but he was heading south so a few hours later on my way home I stopped for him .

He was hoping to get to London but I said "I'll get you as far as Yorkshire" . He said he was from Germany and touring the UK ,not much more out of him as he fell asleep . Once he woke up he 

was grumpy and said "why are we not there yet ?"  He was even less pleased when I said I 

will be stopping for a break .Just top side of York A64 I pulled into a roadside cafe . On entering 

The cafe I was heading for the loo when he Chimed up "want a drink driver ?"  which made me 

think ,he's not so bad after all :classic_smile: On coming out I saw him sat at his table ,"Your drinks on the counter " he said . As as I picked the tea up the lady behind the counter said " excuse me love ..

The tea needs paying for ! "   After finishing our drinks he got up and started playing on a bandit machine . I told him "it's time to go "  He told me wait and then went to the loo . Some of you may

be surprised to find out I completed my journey without him . From that day I have only stopped

for trade plates and would stop for armed forces guys but these days as said a lot of companies would not allow you to do so.

Absolutely, Kalos. And I was always amazed that trucks were prepared to stop, even back in the 60s when there were usually notices on them that drivers weren’t allowed to pick up passengers.

Always enjoyed the rides, though, and a good conversation, which was maybe partly why they were prepared to do it. Students didn’t have any money then, so perhaps they had a bit of sympathy, but the lifts were always really appreciated. 

• Like 2

Very windy here in Dorset. Took Freddie out for a walk, but it wasn’t pleasant so only out for 20 mins.

I really hope those members of CC in badly hit areas are ok as the pictures on the news look devastating in some parts of the UK.

I’m keeping phone and iPad as fully charged as possible just in case of a power cut. Homes only a mile or so away have been off since Friday lunchtime.

Gill

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, purplesea said:

It's a bright sunny day down here, but we still have a very strong wind. The wind seems to have been  strong continually since Friday, with no let  up! 

Hope everyone is safe and well.

We got off relatively lightly on Friday here in Cheshire with only a few hours of high gusty winds, Saturday was relatively calm but since mid afternoon yesterday we have had stronger gusts than Friday and still going on now. I can't remember a storm that has lasted so long i.e. 20 hours and counting.

So far we come out of unscathed apart from a small leaning tree that will have to be felled at some time. We lost a lot of roof tiles in a storm about 20 years ago so since then I'm always a bit nervous when we get these high winds.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

The wind gusts here seem to be as strong as Friday.  I have been invited to an archery evening but unless the weather improves I won't be going even though it is only 5 minutes away in the car.

Take care everyone who has to go out today.

It should be fun, you could shoot the arrows around corners as the wind takes them.