P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

With Thursdays isolation removal in England I wonder if P&O sailings from Southampton will still do tests.

I think they will for at least the next few months. Personally I hope they do, but as passenger levels increase, I can see the logistics (and costs) becoming problematic.

The other issue will be testing for cruises out of Malta.  Anecdotal evidence suggests that the testing process for Caribbean cruises is a lengthy one (4 to 5 hours). Will airports such as Bristol and Newcastle be able to cope with testing in the summer months ?

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, brian1 said:

The new Ambassador cruiseline were doing a long one there from Tilbury this year.Will probably see Istanbul,Romania and Bulgaria on fly breaks maybe.Cheers,Brian.

We've been to Istanbul as part of a land tour and also on a cruise 10 years ago.  Great place.  Probably best to see the place staying there for several days rather than an overnight on a ship.  

With your plumbing background I take it you'd be looking to visit the underground cistern?  We went there independently.  Quite eery, with classical music being played.  We would happily do that again if we ever got to Istanbul again.  Oh and they used the cistern for some of the scenes in From Russia With Love.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I don't want to quote the original post, so as not to upset those who have used the "bock" function, but I will be away all summer, starting next week, so will not be accepting visitors.

I wowzzant,( get it ), but will now.

Zapp is a Sanctimonian

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I don't want to quote the original post, so as not to upset those who have used the "bock" function, but I will be away all summer, starting next week, so will not be accepting visitors.

You surprise me, wowzz. Always thought you were up for a bit of excitement. Earlier this morning I cancelled all our summer arrangements specially, using the bock function of course, to ensure that we’re here for the Great Day.

Supplies of jellied eels, whelks from Ken Clarke’s whelk stall, and pie and mash all being organised in conjunction with East Seven contacts.

Might, if the weather’s good though take a trip out to the coast. Got a little place in mind already:

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/hotels/england/norfolk/the-troll-cart

Bring it on!  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

The thing about this is that it talks of a CDC (Centre for Disease Control) decision and the CDC can only make decisions for ships using USA ports so UK sailings are not affected by CDC warnings.  We have to go with the UK government rules and/or EU rules depending on where the ship is sailing.

Lines are supposed to do that and follow the U.K. guidance but they don’t always do so to the letter. The U.K. guidance states for example that:

“Face coverings should be worn at the terminal, and onboard when it is not possible to keep an appropriate social distance or other occasions where deemed appropriate based on completed risk assessments”…….

but the guidance also says:

“Cruise operators will not discriminate against those who cannot wear a face covering due to age, health, disability or are otherwise exempt based on UK policy.”  

Several lines have a “no mask exemptions” policy.

Same with the vaccination situation where the rules implemented are far more stringent and in line with CDC 95% requirements than the U.K. guidance.

Same with the blanket testing which according to the regulations is a secondary test if you fail the first tranche.

I am sure many of us are glad that the lines are being more stringent rather than less but some do appear to be following CDC even while in Europe.

The definitions on the U.K. chamber of shipping all hyperlink back to the current U.K. guidance which means practically all measuring are going / gone.

So it’s wait and see for what lines decide to do and how customers react. Some would just love to see masks go, others may not feel safe and want to cancel if they do.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Lines are supposed to do that and follow the U.K. guidance but they don’t always do so to the letter. The U.K. guidance states for example that:

“Face coverings should be worn at the terminal, and onboard when it is not possible to keep an appropriate social distance or other occasions where deemed appropriate based on completed risk assessments”…….

but the guidance also says:

“Cruise operators will not discriminate against those who cannot wear a face covering due to age, health, disability or are otherwise exempt based on UK policy.”  

Several lines have a “no mask exemptions” policy.

Same with the vaccination situation where the rules implemented are far more stringent and in line with CDC 95% requirements than the U.K. guidance.

Same with the blanket testing which according to the regulations is a secondary test if you fail the first tranche.

I am sure many of us are glad that the lines are being more stringent rather than less but some do appear to be following CDC even while in Europe.

The definitions on the U.K. chamber of shipping all hyperlink back to the current U.K. guidance which means practically all measuring are going / gone.

So it’s wait and see for what lines decide to do and how customers react. Some would just love to see masks go, others may not feel safe and want to cancel if they do.

I think that there is still some risk in taking a cruise, but it is one we are  prepared to take. We would be pleased to see mask wearing done away with. 

I don't think the Covid issue is going to go away anytime soon. Life goes on, and we each have to do our own risk assessment. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 7

55 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

P&O have extended their vaccination policy upto 30 April 22. All jabs required plus booster and covid test at the terminal.

I would imagine that a vaccination 'passport" will be required for cruising  along with most overseas holidays, for possibly years to come.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think that there is still some risk in taking a cruise, but it is one we are  prepared to take. We would be pleased to see mask wearing done away with. 

I don't think the Covid issue is going to go away anytime soon. Life goes on, and we each have to do our own risk assessment. 

No unfortunately we need to learn to live with it and as you say assess the risks. Yes still risks but I personally think a cruise is safer than some hotels due to vaccination levels, constant cleaning etc.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

Did you mean "Book" function ?

Its a bit formal isn't it , it will be a quick meet and chat.

I shall be in the area and will call over for a light supper or luncheon.

Its easy find the locations from previous posts and will will get in touch before i arrive.

But that is several months away yet.

If any of my new friends wish to stay with me, please ask.

(Except at weekends as I am busy doing my award winning charity work.)

Thanks

Your friend

Lynn

x

im not sure I am following your posts correctly. 

where are you going to meet people exactly?

• Like 1

It is a scorcher today, hottest day so far. We went to O'Reilly's for breakfast this morning, which was very good. While we were sat there we got on about O'Reilly the builder from Fawlty towers as a lot of the staff were Irish and how I was glad none of them had a beard, who is orally men?. That led to Robins nest and Albert Riddle the one armed chef played by the same actor. We ended up giggling like a pair of school kids.

The rest of the day has been spent between the sunbeds and the swimming pool and now I am going to make Fajitas for tea with a nice Rioja for me and something white for Mrs YP. Hope everyone is keeping safe.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

1/ im not sure I am following your posts correctly. 

2/ where are you going to meet people exactly?

1/  Your not on your own Vamps 

2/  Middle Earth  (at a guess ) :classic_unsure:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

P&O have extended their vaccination policy upto 30 April 22. All jabs required plus booster and covid test at the terminal.

I saw that a while back but with Thursdays isolation changes I wonder if P&O follow the new England guidance for Southampton sailings.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1