P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Took a few steps back in time today a visit to HMV to thumb through the Vinyl Albums, my son is into vinyl and wanted a particular album for Christmas. Thumbing through the large collection on display took me back to when I used to do that in my lunch hour when I was working. Never thought almost 50 years later I would still be buying vinyl albums, although the price is almost 4 times the the 1970s prices. 

Stepped out of HMV back into the real world. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Took a few steps back in time today a visit to HMV to thumb through the Vinyl Albums, my son is into vinyl and wanted a particular album for Christmas. Thumbing through the large collection on display took me back to when I used to do that in my lunch hour when I was working. Never thought almost 50 years later I would still be buying vinyl albums, although the price is almost 4 times the the 1970s prices. 

One of my regrets in life is giving away my LP collection back in the 1980s. 

How could I have given "Darkness on the Edge of Town" away ?

Obviously I still have it on cd and on iPod, but it is not the same !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Morning everyone. We just had our Christmas shop delivery and got everything we

ordered , so we can now relax.

Not everyone is lucky as a mate told me about a woman who got nicked for doing her 

Christmas shopping too early.

I didn't know you could get nicked for doing that ?
Oh yes he said, "She started before the store opened that day ."😉

• Haha 9

9 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I think I paid 30 bob for my first Beatles LP back in the 60s.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I hear Bruce is re-releasing an updated ‘Darkness on the Edge of Town’ and dedicating it to the energy companies.😊

• Haha 8

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I still have my Album collection, around 120 albums, converted a few to digital, the only problem is I have no hi fi system to play them on. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Not everyone is lucky as a mate told me about a woman who got nicked for doing her 

We got our Christmas food delivery yesterday morning when I braved Tesco and also went into the market to get my fruit and veg from the stall where one of my primary school friends and his siblings are still working the stall that has grandparents and later parents worked.

• Like 8

We were with 5,000 other people last night in the Royal Albert Hall for one of the annual Christmas Carol Concerts.

It was standing room only... packed to the rafters... with good wishes of comfort and joy! It was an immensely moving experience that so many people just wanted to share a bit of love joy and happiness in the bleak midwinter.

Our thoughts, and we're sure the thoughts of many, were with others many times during the evening. At 8.00pm, the floodlighting and the Christmas lights outside the Hall were turned off for an hour at the same time as those on landmarks and homes across the world in support of the 10,000,000 civilians in the Ukraine who are being forced by the war to live without electricity, heat or running water in temperatures as low as -20˚C.

The audience certainly sent out a wave of warmth and added to the donations set aside to provide emergency generators. 

Locally, one of our charities has just sent 600 bags of clothes, blankets, duvets and sleeping bags to those who need them.

And we were asked to share photos and videos of the evening with friends.

IMG_7188.thumb.jpeg.8bb1f3df4a9e5e877e2ee1570387d363.jpeg

IMG_7073.thumb.jpeg.406b144688464d118c717ba51c41c023.jpeg

• Like 17

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

The post-vinyl music lovers are now begining to accept that the tone and depth of sound, is much better than on cd. Well cared for and unscratched vinyl I hasten to add. We still have some records from our youth. We don't play them, they're just kept for sentimental reasons.

Avril

• Like 9

My wife and I still have our vinyl LPs and in my case lots of 12 inch singles from the early 80s. We haven’t played them since we last moved house 22 years ago! And the separates hifi is in the loft as well since we moved. We would consider selling them but I’d have to play each one to assess how warped or scratched they are first which would take a long time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Ours this morning had 2 substitutions and 3 unavailable items (cheese and beer) seems supermarkets have a supply problem this Christmas. My wife being coeliac she likes the M&S range of gluten free food, but the shelves were virtually empty yesterday morning, we spoke with the Food Manager, who said there have been difficulties in get supplies. 

At least we did better then out neighbours, their ASDA delivery had 10 missing items and 6 substitutions, of which she rejected 4. She wasn’t happy yesterday afternoon when we spoke to her on our way out, she was having to ask her friend to go and get the items for her from another store as she is immunosuppressed and did want to risk going into a crowded supermarket just before Christmas. 

• Like 4

My niece has just sent a screen shot of what her 12 year old daughter has posted on her WhatsApp, it is a photo of my Christmas tree with the comment "who wants an auntie who has a boring tree".  She did try to tell me yesterday that Christmas trees should have "lots of colours on them, not only boring silver and white". ☺️

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Out enjoying the fabulous Christmas decorations last night.

For the passengers on Iona which sailed in the afternoon yesterday, this is a small selection of what they missed - a small selection because every street no matter how small is decorated with lights.

1756EAD7-706C-4B2B-99C9-34A086210C7A.jpeg

03C65219-2376-4217-802B-67E861A7D3E6.jpeg

E3A9E1B2-FE40-4125-BBAD-E6A8ECDCFF30.jpeg

E5F39107-07FE-4EEF-8DCC-F50BBAB58A3B.jpeg

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Out enjoying the fabulous Christmas decorations last night.

For the passengers on Iona which sailed in the afternoon yesterday, this is a small selection of what they missed - a small selection because every street no matter how small is decorated with lights.

1756EAD7-706C-4B2B-99C9-34A086210C7A.jpeg

03C65219-2376-4217-802B-67E861A7D3E6.jpeg

E3A9E1B2-FE40-4125-BBAD-E6A8ECDCFF30.jpeg

E5F39107-07FE-4EEF-8DCC-F50BBAB58A3B.jpeg

Why sail  so early and miss this? 

15 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

My niece has just sent a screen shot of what her 12 year old daughter has posted on her WhatsApp, it is a photo of my Christmas tree with the comment "who wants an auntie who has a boring tree".  She did try to tell me yesterday that Christmas trees should have "lots of colours on them, not only boring silver and white". ☺️

Don't worry Josy, it won't be long before she learns the invaluable lesson of 'The Art of Tactfulness'.

I thought your tree was lovely, and I'm being honest.🎄

Avril

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Don't worry Josy, it won't be long before she learns the invaluable lesson of 'The Art of Tactfulness'.

I thought your tree was lovely, and I'm being honest.🎄

Avril

I think that she is like most girls of her age, they think that they know everything about everything including Christmas decorations.  She has on more than one occasion offered to go shopping with my sister me so that we can learn about fashion from her. 🤣🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

That’s a bit unfair.
Our tree is predominantly gold and red with many Christmas decorations from places that we have visited around the world over the years which are various colours. My wife decorates the tree, I’m not allowed anywhere near it while being decorated apart from assembling the tree and putting the lights on!!😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

The post-vinyl music lovers are now begining to accept that the tone and depth of sound, is much better than on cd. Well cared for and unscratched vinyl I hasten to add. We still have some records from our youth. We don't play them, they're just kept for sentimental reasons.

Avril

Is the sound quality so different?  Those who have a sound system for their TV ought to be able to play back their digital music through this, and achieve as good or possibly better quality sound than all but the high end record sound systems.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

That’s a bit unfair.
Our tree is predominantly gold and red with many Christmas decorations from places that we have visited around the world over the years which are various colours. My wife decorates the tree, I’m not allowed anywhere near it while being decorated apart from assembling the tree and putting the lights on!!😊

That sounds familiar.. My role, after coming out of the loft is.. sit down...shut up.

Happy 221222 everyone.😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

She has on more than one occasion offered to go shopping with my sister me so that we can learn about fashion from her. 🤣🤣

Perish the thought😲 

Unless you happen to like like the mutton dressed as lamb look, which I very much doubt.😉

Avril

• Like 3