P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Happy New Year everyone. Went to bed early. Didn't hear many fireworks, think the weather may have put people off. A neighbour usually has the noisiest fireworks I have ever heard in my life. I also sleep in the attic of my house so normally it's like  being under siege. Luckily our labrador loves noise. He was born in the rspca and think it was very noisy there. He loves motorbikes and helicopters for the same reason! Cat is terrified though. 

• Like 8

New Years Lunch today aka Christmas Dinner 2.

Cooked the backup Turkey Roast, (we bought this in case of power outage Christmas Day,, it could have been cooked on BBQ if required), roasted the last of my 2022 parsnips, plus the usual trimmings and a glass of red wine(remains of last nights bottle).  Christmas Pudding covered in Brandy Sauce, or as my wife thinks Courvoisier brandy laced with cream! Followed by Coffee & After Eight Mints, proper ones not supermarket copycat versions. 

That’s Christmas & New Year done for another year, decorations start to come down soon. 

• Like 8

Had a good think this morning, nowadays I don't drink much alcohol and really don't want to fly anymore. So I will not be taking my xmas/new year fly cruise this year and have booked an Iona 14 nighter in November instead and have saved over £2000. i will probably spend that on another 14 nighter in Jan/Feb 24 🙂

No wine for my new year dinner, I drank it all last night and it took 4 hours for the one bottle - sad.

Dinner tonight will be a nice mature ribeye with chips and mushrooms.No wine but maybe a G&T or two later.

I have 7 weeks until my next cruise and I want to lose 7lb so i can put it back on again 🤞

I nearly forgot, it is still raining.

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Had a good think this morning, nowadays I don't drink much alcohol and really don't want to fly anymore. So I will not be taking my xmas/new year fly cruise this year and have booked an Iona 14 nighter in November instead and have saved over £2000. i will probably spend that on another 14 nighter in Jan/Feb 24 🙂

No wine for my new year dinner, I drank it all last night and it took 4 hours for the one bottle - sad.

Dinner tonight will be a nice mature ribeye with chips and mushrooms.No wine but maybe a G&T or two later.

I have 7 weeks until my next cruise and I want to lose 7lb so i can put it back on again 🤞

I nearly forgot, it is still raining.

Same here. 7lbs in 6 weeks, starting tomorrow. Always starting tomorrow. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Happy New Year! 🎉🎊🥳

I seldom post but love reading all your great posts and the community feeling of this thread.  A couple of resolutions for me - one to post on here more and two to go on a cruise (it’s been too long - before the dreaded cannot be named!)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sarah1974 said:

Happy New Year! 🎉🎊🥳

I seldom post but love reading all your great posts and the community feeling of this thread.  A couple of resolutions for me - one to post on here more and two to go on a cruise (it’s been too long - before the dreaded cannot be named!)

Unlike most resolutions, those 2 are well worth keeping. Carry on cruising.🛳 

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Happy New Year everyone.

We had a quiet evening, in bed for 11.15pm but then shaken awake at midnight by the outbreak of WW3, at least that's what it sounded like. I have never heard fireworks so loud that the ground vibrated and the sky lit up like it was daylight. I have a feeling they were display fireworks.

I had a busy morning, joint now cooking and veg  prepped for tonights dinner, then phoning or face timing with family, something I always do New Year's Day, much nicer to personally wish them a happy new year.

I don't nomally make new year resolutions as I always break them and then feel disappointed in myself, but this year I'm turning over a new leaf. After speaking with my sister, 83 years old, 2 cruises last year, 1 coming this March and Aurora booked for 2024,  who goes out for a walk every day with my 87 year old BIL, I've realised what a coward I've become, and that I'm stupidly letting life pass me by.

So this year I'm stepping back into the world and dragging Frank with me. 1st,  the 9lb that crept on since 2020 is going. 2nd, when the weather picks up, we're going into Barnsley to look around the new centre, I'm told it's lovely, and last but not least, I'm going to begin planning for our cruise in December, and also research for next years cruise as well.

I hope everyone's 2023 is what you wish it to be, and maybe we will meet sometime on a cruise ship.

Avril

You go for it Avril. Small steps will reap a great reward. I wish you the best of luck. Very best wishes. Jane.xxx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Happy New Year everyone.

We had a quiet evening, in bed for 11.15pm but then shaken awake at midnight by the outbreak of WW3, at least that's what it sounded like. I have never heard fireworks so loud that the ground vibrated and the sky lit up like it was daylight. I have a feeling they were display fireworks.

I had a busy morning, joint now cooking and veg  prepped for tonights dinner, then phoning or face timing with family, something I always do New Year's Day, much nicer to personally wish them a happy new year.

I don't nomally make new year resolutions as I always break them and then feel disappointed in myself, but this year I'm turning over a new leaf. After speaking with my sister, 83 years old, 2 cruises last year, 1 coming this March and Aurora booked for 2024,  who goes out for a walk every day with my 87 year old BIL, I've realised what a coward I've become, and that I'm stupidly letting life pass me by.

So this year I'm stepping back into the world and dragging Frank with me. 1st,  the 9lb that crept on since 2020 is going. 2nd, when the weather picks up, we're going into Barnsley to look around the new centre, I'm told it's lovely, and last but not least, I'm going to begin planning for our cruise in December, and also research for next years cruise as well.

I hope everyone's 2023 is what you wish it to be, and maybe we will meet sometime on a cruise ship.

Avril

Good for you Avril, I love this! Be interesting to see what you think of your cruise when you get back.

• Like 4

Happy New Year you lovely people! 

We had a quiet one last night, can’t remember the last time we went out for New Year. We had some wine and watched the London fireworks on the tv, they were amazing! I felt a bit emotional when they did the Queen drone and it turned into Charles! Outside our house there were loads of very noisy fireworks.

We re-started our tradition of going out for New Year day lunch today which we haven’t done a couple of years for obvious reasons.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

You go for it Avril. Small steps will reap a great reward. I wish you the best of luck. Very best wishes. Jane.xxx

Hello Jane, long time lurker-more-than-poster here, but I wanted to welcome you back and to tell you that I’m pretty sure that Avril (aided by Graham, and possibly others) were mentioning your absence and worrying about you by name, months ago.  It is a lovely community. 

I’m currently in Fort Lauderdale in preparation for joining a Celebrity cruise ship tomorrow.  We flew into Miami yesterday with the easiest flight ever - Heathrow easy and friendly, Virgin plane only about half full in each section, Miami; straight through immigration with no wait and a friendly official; no queue for the hire car.  After probably 60 or more entries into the USA in 30+ years I’ve never known anything like it.  I felt like we had entered a VIP world!

This will be a reflective trip rather than a joyous one in the main, because my best friend of more than 60 years died recently and so we are cutting the trip short to return for the funeral, where I will attempt to deliver the eulogy I was asked to do.  I do have back up if I falter.  She and I, both only children with one child each, have remained close since we were children and I am beyond saddened at her loss.

Lincslady am pleased to read your positive posts and hope you may be able to persuade your friend to renew her passport.

Graham, your New Year’s Eve dinner table looked lovely and put me to shame.  I’m afraid I only go to that much trouble if we have guests but I so admire the style of you and Pauline.

Avril good luck with your intentions to be a little bolder with your plans. I’m in no position, or shape, to comment on anyone’s weight aims 😉.

Off out now to get some daylight as DH assures me it’s what I must do to reset my body clock to US time.  He’s been giving me the same advice for years but I still find jet lag difficult so feel my transatlantic flying days are numbered.

Good wishes for a happy and healthy New Year to you all  🎉 and long may this forum, with its wide range of topics, humour and support provided by interesting contributors, continue!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

This will be a reflective trip rather than a joyous one in the main, because my best friend of more than 60 years died recently and so we are cutting the trip short to return for the funeral, where I will attempt to deliver the eulogy I was asked to do.  I do have back up if I falter.  She and I, both only children with one child each, have remained close since we were children and I am beyond saddened at her loss.

Sorry for your loss of a great friend of so many years.

The feeling of loss must be  impossible to count.

But the love and happy memories your friend has left in your heart is exactly the same .

Enjoy your cruise :classic_love:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

Hello Jane, long time lurker-more-than-poster here, but I wanted to welcome you back and to tell you that I’m pretty sure that Avril (aided by Graham, and possibly others) were mentioning your absence and worrying about you by name, months ago.  It is a lovely community. 

I’m currently in Fort Lauderdale in preparation for joining a Celebrity cruise ship tomorrow.  We flew into Miami yesterday with the easiest flight ever - Heathrow easy and friendly, Virgin plane only about half full in each section, Miami; straight through immigration with no wait and a friendly official; no queue for the hire car.  After probably 60 or more entries into the USA in 30+ years I’ve never known anything like it.  I felt like we had entered a VIP world!

Lincslady am pleased to read your positive posts and hope you may be able to persuade your friend to renew her passport.

Graham, your New Year’s Eve dinner table looked lovely and put me to shame.  I’m afraid I only go to that much trouble if we have guests but I so admire the style of you and Pauline.

Avril good luck with your intentions to be a little bolder with your plans. I’m in no position, or shape, to comment on anyone’s weight aims 😉.

Off out now to get some daylight as DH assures me it’s what I must do to reset my body clock to US time.  He’s been giving me the same advice for years but I still find jet lag difficult so feel my transatlantic flying days are numbered.

Good wishes for a happy and healthy New Year to you all  🎉 and long may this forum, with its wide range of topics, humour and support provided by interesting contributors, continue!

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm so sorry to hear about your best friend.

Our prayers 🙏 and condolences to you and your dear friends family.

I'm pleased to hear how easy your flight to and through Miami was and I hope your Celebrity cruise tomorrow is absolutely amazing.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good evening to all , I do hope you’ve  all had a lovely week now doing all your celebrations and opening prezzies , and now starting to plan your year ahead, go for it Avril life is too short 😍 .

We have had a relaxing week binge watching films in our pjs and out for roast dinner and curry nights around my daughters, and another visit to the dentist because my tooth filling broke again after having it repaired 12 days ago so much more expense to have it repaired.

Managed to keep awake last night to watch the fireworks on tv , not much went off here and only lasted 30mis went to bed at 12.30 and was still awake at 4 with fidget legs , so only had a couple of hours last night , went for a 3 mile walk on the beach this morning and did a roast for tea . Other half been watching nfl since 6 o’clock and now his team is on so that’s him until midnight so I’m on here early tonight, probably jump a couple of forums to princess to see wowzz on there and royal Caribbean to see graham on there I think he’s following a live thread the same one I’m following a couple from Canada, ( they always stay in the best suites) .

Mrsgoggins I’m sorry to hear you have lost your very dear friend of 60 years plus and having to cut short your holiday to return to the funeral you are a true friend.

I don’t make resolutions because I know they wouldn’t last long with me , but I am increasing my walks every day to keep my knees working and some weight down ready for my holiday in February and March .

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

My youngest sister bought us a selection pack of nuts for one of our Christmas presents.  We tried one packet last night and they were quite nice Lemon & Chilli flavoured ones so tonight we thought that we would try the Hot Chilli flavoured ones. I think that I have permanently damaged my mouth because they were so hot 🌶️🌶️

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

How sad for you Mrsgoggins. The loss of such a dear friend of so many years must be a dreadful loss. I think you are courageous to deliver a eulogy. It's good to know you have a back up if needed but I'm sure your shared history, love and affection will see you through. Do her proud. Thanks for taking time to send lovely messages to us all. It's very much appreciated.  Best wishes. Jane. Xx

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok this morning.

A lazy start for us today, I am still lying in bed writing this. We had a busy day yesterday as we went to visit grandchildren in Whitley Bay, a lovely day was had by all. We passed Langley Castle, they do a fabulous Sunday lunch and had we not eaten we would have been tempted to go in, highly recommended.

We have family over today so I need to prepare and cook lunch. Looks a lovely day outside with no wind so a stroll on the promenade looks like an option.

Mrsgoggins, sorry to hear about your friend. I hope you have a lovely time on your cruise.

For all those planning to lose weight add me to the list, 7 pounds by end Feb for me. Back at gym tomorrow, first time after breaking my foot. 

Have a lovely day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 8

A lovely, bright sunny day here today although a lot cooler of late, but it's nice to see the sun.

Nothing exciting planned, need to get the taxis sorted for the end of February and a good clear up and vacuum after having the family and dogs over at the weekend. 

Hope everyone has a good day.

Pam 

• Like 6

A lazy start for me as well. A bit chilly but bright and miraculously not raining when I walked Charlie along the seafront. Will be driving back home a little later and watching the ‘mighty Potters’ play football this afternoon.

• Like 3

Good to read all your new year posts. Lovely morning here in Bolton. I am going up to my daughters shortly to look after Leo, her 12 year old son who has autism. They are taking the other two (10 and 13) to the cinema. Leo doesn’t like the noise and light so we will have a cosy afternoon eating chocolate. 

I had a surprise last evening, going through the channels trying to find something to watch I came across an advert for P&O cruises on Great TV, channel 157. It was part way through so didn’t see it all. I have never seen one before, have they always done them?

• Like 2