P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Wonderful boat trip today. Me and two honeymoon couples on a private trip to Positano and Amalfi

Two are American and two are Norwegian. Having quite a party as we're stocked for twelve! The driver and I are chaperoning.

Oh and I bumped into an old friend yesterday ... Queen Victoria!

20240805_085229.jpg

20240804_135748.jpg

20240805_095501.jpg

20240805_095537.jpg

20240805_102607.jpg

20240805_095628.jpg

• Like 14

23 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Azamara rarely cruise round trip from UK ports, you would probably have to fly one way.

It was our favourite line for years until we did not wish to fly anymore, we now use Saga mainly for the home pick up and return.

Do they have plain minibuses, or do they have Saga on them. Wouldn't want the neighbours to know.🤣

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Do they have plain minibuses, or do they have Saga on them. Wouldn't want the neighbours to know.🤣

We are going to ask them to pick us up early for the same reason.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Pretty sure they have Titan on them, and are either a limo. or a 6 seater, not more than four plus driver and luggage space.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We are going to ask them to pick us up early for the same reason.

And they let you know what time they are coming - depends on how far and if they are making two stops for two couples/singles.  Living about 200 miles away, we were usually picked up between 8.30 and 9.30.  You don't have a choice.  We never had any problem with any, on quite a few cruises, nice vehicles and good drivers, and depending on distance a short stop en route for the usual reason, at a service station.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Pretty sure they have Titan on them and are either a limo. or a 6 seater, not more than four plus driver and luggage space.

Can be either, the last twice ours has been a plain Black one with no markings, they are increasingly using contractors and notTitan

23 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Can be either, the last twice ours has been a plain Black one with no markings, they are increasingly using contractors and notTitan

Saga own Titan, but they currently seem to operate both brands separately.

• Thanks 1

At our craft group this morning 2 of the ladies were making Christmas cards, I happened to say to one of them that it was a bit early and was told that it is only 20 weeks to go and she has around 60 people that she sends cards to.  I can't imagine a) making 60 Christmas cards, b) writing them all and  c) the cost of postage.

I will carry on with my embroidery and knitting and the odd birthday card for the time being and start on my Chrustmad cards mid October as usual.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, lindyloo22 said:

Good morning everyone, it’s been raining here and 18c so not yo hot for our walk this morning have a good day all.

The rain (for once) is very welcome. I’m hoping the forecast is correct and it will here in Dorset stop around 8am…..

I am enjoying the Olympics and viewing is always more enjoyable when team GB &NI are successful in winning medals! My only criticism would be there is too much waffle at times on the main BBC channels.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 6

Morning everyone,

After thunder late yesterday evening and a night of heavy rain it is a cool 15c at present. OH spent yesterday fixing our down pipe and re-installing the water butt, which now has a nice amount of water inside.

Meeting friends for a chat and coffee, well coffee for me anyway, in Penzance.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

The rain (for once) is very welcome. I’m hoping the forecast is correct and it will here in Dorset stop around 8am…..

I am enjoying the Olympics and viewing is always more enjoyable when team GB &NI are successful in winning medals! My only criticism would be there is too much waffle at times on the main BBC channels.

Have a good day everyone

The BBC could not afford to pay for full live coverage of the Olympics this year. This means they have a lot of gaps to fill with waffle. This proves the tax we have to pay called the TV Licence fee is not fit for purpose and outdated. It's about time it was scrapped and the BBC became a commercial broadcaster. All other channels have adverts so there'd be no hardship to the viewers. 

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Have a good day everyone

Well it’s still pouring here, just holding off going out see if it’s going to stop.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

The BBC could not afford to pay for full live coverage of the Olympics this year. This means they have a lot of gaps to fill with waffle. This proves the tax we have to pay called the TV Licence fee is not fit for purpose and outdated. It's about time it was scrapped and the BBC became a commercial broadcaster. All other channels have adverts so there'd be no hardship to the viewers. 

Any view on how we would pay for our very necessary local radio stations?  As they are part of emergency planning for the entire UK along with the Greenwich time signal I doubt paying for them or allowing them to become Boom Radio or whatever will be suitable.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

Not correct, the IOC awarded the rights from 2016 to 2024 to Warner Discovery TV & EBU for $1.45bn, they then licence packages of live events and highlights with restrictions to other broadcasters, including the BBC. The same has been done for the games both Summer and Winter from 2025 to 2032, it’s is believed the package offered to the BBC, who currently have sole rights to broadcasting the games in U.K, is an improvement on the 2024 package. 

I don’t think the licence payer would approve of the BBC using a third or more of its income on one event that is broadcast every four years. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

Yes I think that that the BBC has 250 hours in total of live broadcast time for the Olympics whereas Discovery+ has 3800. The BBC is annoying though when they play the same Chris Hoy, Keely intros time and time again.

i can’t stand adverts, will never listen to a commercial radio station and apart from live sport breaks we record all commercial tv and fast forward through the adverts. IMO the BBC , with government approval, should have committed to advert free licence supported traditional linear tv channels BUT other media types like the website and iplayer should be allowed to have limited adverts to supplement their budget or reduce the licence fee.

• Like 5

I seldom listen to BBC radio, maybe Radio Sheffield Toby Foster who does a 

topical local chat about things I can relate to.

When Ken Bruce left BBC ,I now tune into G H radio just for the Pop Master quiz.

As for the BBC tv ,I have watched the Olympics,news , documentaries and bits 

of football and sometimes full matches .

All this for just under .47 p per day ,so no complaints from me .

• Like 7