P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

Very angry this morning, was due my 8 week prescription renewal last Friday, 5 items. I popped into Lloyds today to collect but no prescription so I asked why. The answer was we don't do repeat prescription orders for customers anymore, you have to arrange that with your GP, there is the notice on the wall. I replied that the notice was not there 8 weeks ago when I arranged for my repeat prescription on the 1st October, also showing their card with the date written on it, by them. Their answer, nothing they could do 🤬

So checked my GP website and now you have to submit an online form listing your repeat request and stating the pharmacy where you will collect. Trouble is it says up to 5 days for them to send the electronic request to the pharmacy, grrr, I only have 5 tablets left for one of my medications. so sent a pleading email asking if they could expedite matters,

Then I had to register with the NHS electronic prescription service and chose Boots at Hempstead Valley as apparently their pharmacy is open on Sundays as well

Life is just getting more complicated.

Speak to your GP surgery and see if they are part of the EPS system which was launched a while ago. 

If so it means that for those whose medications are not likely to change before the next annual review the GP can send 12 months worth of prescriptions to the pharmacy in one go. This doesn’t mean you get given 12 months worth of drugs in one go, but the pharmacist has 12 monthly prescriptions to automatically draw on and make up for you to collect. Also most pharmacies offer a text message service to tell you when your prescription is ready to collect. 

https://digital.nhs.uk/services/electronic-prescription-service#the-benefits

• Like 1

1 hour ago, picsa said:

Speak to your GP surgery and see if they are part of the EPS system which was launched a while ago. 

If so it means that for those whose medications are not likely to change before the next annual review the GP can send 12 months worth of prescriptions to the pharmacy in one go. This doesn’t mean you get given 12 months worth of drugs in one go, but the pharmacist has 12 monthly prescriptions to automatically draw on and make up for you to collect. Also most pharmacies offer a text message service to tell you when your prescription is ready to collect. 

https://digital.nhs.uk/services/electronic-prescription-service#the-benefits

Thanks picsa, yes my GP surgery is up to date with all the NHS electronic stuff. Actually having 12 months worth of prescriptions delivered to the chemist is less convenient because i need flexibility in the collection dates due to cruises. Mt medications are all in 28 blister packs and I have an 8 week repeat cycle. The January delivery date falls in the middle of my January cruise followed by a weekend so I need spare tablets. This can happen several times a year. Also one item are epi pens for injection and they have to be kept in the fridge before opening.

10 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I had 4 substitutions in my Sainsbury’s order today. It’s been like that since about July.

In store, there are definite gaps on the shelves. M&S used to be better, but even they have gaps now.

It’s very strange that some areas don’t seem to be affected, when this is a National problem 🤷‍♀️

I phoned the vet to book my pooch for her annual health check/booster jab yesterday

“Sorry, can’t book you.  We have no supplies.  Will put you on waiting list and call you”

I hope they were fibbing slightly, and actually have vaccines available for puppies, otherwise there could be all sorts of health problems for them

I’ve been absent a while but, remembering the old adage about holding a grudge being akin to preparing poison but taking it yourself, well, let’s try again.  We’ll see how it goes

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I had 4 substitutions in my Sainsbury’s order today. It’s been like that since about July.

In store, there are definite gaps on the shelves. M&S used to be better, but even they have gaps now.

It’s very strange that some areas don’t seem to be affected, when this is a National problem 🤷‍♀️

Very strange. I have ordered my missing Morrisons items from Asda, they are all in stock and coming today. Morrisons warehouse is in Bradford and Asda's is in Leeds, so the North is affected, just different shortages in different stores.

Avril

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I phoned the vet to book my pooch for her annual health check/booster jab yesterday

“Sorry, can’t book you.  We have no supplies.  Will put you on waiting list and call you”

I hope they were fibbing slightly, and actually have vaccines available for puppies, otherwise there could be all sorts of health problems for them

I’ve been absent a while but, remembering the old adage about holding a grudge being akin to preparing poison but taking it yourself, well, let’s try again.  We’ll see how it goes

Great to see you back!

Gill

29 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Welcome back Eddie. I hope you and said pooch are well.

Avril

7 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Just come back from a cheek by jowl self service hotel buffet breakfast. Strange feeling after 18 months of largely avoiding others!!

Should be boarding Sky Princess at lunchtime, fingers crossed.

Hope everything goes smoothly and you have an amazing cruise 

Graham.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Welcome back Eddie.

I hope your dog can get it's vaccines soon.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

We were due to have a flu injection at Asda today.  Got a phone call three hours  prior - no pharmacist, so no injection! What's that all about? Perhaps the pharmacist has gone to work in the Lidl warehouse for more money. 

So we have rebooked at Boots, but no appointments until early November. 

Actually, not too bothered,  as the efficacy of the flu jab declines significantly after three months,  so being vaccinated too early leaves you less protected for the peak flu season in January and February. 

As you know I work for the NHS and my place aren’t starting flu  jabs til November 1st.

34 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Just come back from a cheek by jowl self service hotel buffet breakfast. Strange feeling after 18 months of largely avoiding others!!

Have a lovely time. I will be interested to know what you think of her as we sail on her in July next year

Michelle

• Thanks 1

Very wet today and overnight. Trying to keep occupied but not via housework I have browsed the P&O website and booked 12 days on Ventura in December. As I can't face the lengthy coach journey from Norfolk I have negotiated parking on a friends drive and then they are delivering me to the Northampton pick up. I can cope with 2.5hrs. Something to look forward to.  Plus need a new passport so potential roadtrip to Peterborough, meet friends for lunch. That just leaves insurance. I hope it stops raining soon its been an expensive morning and its not yet 11am.

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Have a lovely time on princess, I certainly did 3 weeks ago, beautiful ship and fantastic staff and a very witty captain 😂

45 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We have our rescheduled flu appointment for this Saturday. Not cancelled yet🤞

Avril

I had my flu jab this morning at Boots.

My husband had also been booked for this morning, but his appointment had been cancelled, as they haven’t got any of the vaccine version for the over 65’s. He’s rebooked for early November, hopefully they will have stocks by then

• Like 3

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

Thanks picsa, yes my GP surgery is up to date with all the NHS electronic stuff. Actually having 12 months worth of prescriptions delivered to the chemist is less convenient because i need flexibility in the collection dates due to cruises. Mt medications are all in 28 blister packs and I have an 8 week repeat cycle. The January delivery date falls in the middle of my January cruise followed by a weekend so I need spare tablets. This can happen several times a year. Also one item are epi pens for injection and they have to be kept in the fridge before opening.

But once the 12 months of prescriptions are with the pharmacy, the discussion on what you need when is with them, not the GP. You need a double lot because you are away - here you go because we have the prescriptions covering that period.

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I had my flu jab this morning at Boots.

My husband had also been booked for this morning, but his appointment had been cancelled, as they haven’t got any of the vaccine version for the over 65’s. He’s rebooked for early November, hopefully they will have stocks by then

Vaccine supply problems in my area too. One independent chemists said this morning that they don't know when they are getting stock and Boots said at least a month...

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, John and I are on leave this week, yesterday we went to Ightham Mote and were really lucky with the weather. 

AE4C11FE-7D5D-414B-8306-FE61B62C7506.jpeg

Lovely picture. It has bought back memories of my geography field course and we walked for miles around the area.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

As everyone knows,  my DW kindly allows me to do our shopping, and, as we have Lidl, Aldi, Tesco and M&S within 800 yards of each other,  I frequent them all. 

They all have sporadic OOS (out of stocks) but never of the same items. For example,  last week, the Tesco wine aisle was decimated,  but Aldi had a full  selection.

From my various conversations with store staff, the real issue seems to be at the Regional Distribution Centres. There just aren't enough people to pick the products and load the vehicles. 

The wages in the RDCs  aren't bad - over £25k per year - probably more with ot. The issue is, of course, if wages for these semi skilled jobs rise too much, care workers, nurses etc will just quit their existing jobs and work in the Lidl warehouse.

The UK labour pool has been dramatically reduced, so employers will have to dramatically increase wages to attract and retain staff. That does not bode well for the NHS.

Welcome back - I think we share the view that if the wine aisles are stocked all is well!,🍷

• Like 1