P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just to jump on the 'down in the dumps' theme, today is a difficult day for us. 

Not only is it the 7th anniversary of Michelle's dear Mums passing, it is also 6 years to the day that Michelle was diagnosed with Cancer and given 6 months to live.. 

Today we have the hat trick.. 

We will be virtually attending 'Grandad' Georges funeral. He was my sister in laws father and a big part of the girls childhood and our family. 

He was 98, so by the time his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren attend, the 30 soon fills up, but at least we have the technology to pay our respects from afar. 

A long walk along the beach is in order to reflect and be thankful. 

Andy 

Sorry to read of your ‘hat trick’ and hope the day gets better. 

I attended a funeral on Monday and only 25 allowed due to the size of the chapel. It’s 4 years since my lifelong best friend died alone in his house. 

At the moment unfortunately I think we all have too much time (despite working) to reflect on upsetting times as there doesn’t appear to be much too look forward to at the moment. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Not only is it the 7th anniversary of Michelle's dear Mums passing, it is also 6 years to the day that Michelle was diagnosed with Cancer and given 6 months to live.. 

We will be virtually attending 'Grandad' Georges funeral. He was my sister in laws father and a big part of the girls childhood and our family. 

He was 98, so by the time his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren attend, the 30 soon fills up, but at least we have the technology to pay our respects from afar. 

Andy 

Sorry that you are having such a difficult day Andy.   Michelle is truly inspiring for me, my niece has started chemo today after being diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer which she has had removed so hearing about Michelle surviving 6 years gives me hope.

• Like 13

46 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I too wish everyone an easier time soon.   I send best wishes for birthdays and anniversaries.  In a nutshell best wishes and thoughts to all. xx   This part of the forum has certainly excelled itself hasn't it.   Its a haven.

We doing a second viewing for a bungalow today.  I loved it....but wonder if we are too "senior" for all the kerfuffle of moving! 🤥☺️

We found the physical process of moving - downsizing (again) nearly 3 years ago quite tiring but are really glad we did it.  In retrospect, it was good to go through “stuff”, to look in boxes which had never been unpacked since the previous move 15 years before, and to have a giant clear out.  (If you don’t do it now, someone else will have to do it after you’ve gone 🙄)

It’s proved a real boon being clutter-free and moving house was sort-of invigorating.  A new phase in life!
Good luck with your decision and if you do decide to move get the best of every service to help the process - estate agent, solicitor, removal firm, handyman for odd jobs at the new place, etc

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Here in Manchester we’ve not been able to meet anyone in our houses or gardens from any other household since end of July and it is now getting very wearing. 

I can understand that - it must be awful.  The ability to sit down with friends in the garden, or even just chat to people as they pass by, has made life since the infection rate dropped much nicer, even though we can't safely go out shopping etc..

My concern about the new measures is that they'll do very little, unlike the Scottish measures, to stop the rate of infection from increasing - and increasing fast.  That seems to be the consensus view of leading scientists, and if we're doing too little, too late again, as we did in March, a full lockdown and a dysfunctional NHS beckons once more.

Time will tell, and I can understand the relief that we aren't following the Manchester example, or the Scottish one, but if it leads to an out of control infection rate again, which I suspect it will, what's been achieved in reality?

There is another option - basically lock down the old and the vulnerable and leave everything else to function more or less normally, and the hard liners are pushing for that, but it's politically a high risk strategy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Hello guys, I just want to join as well as I turned 30 this year and I want to wish to all having anniversaries this year to have a great year. Just be happy that we made it all the way here and have an opportunity to talk here on the forum right now! You guys are awesome 

Happy Birthday Roger and be extra careful when you're out and about.😷

Avril

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Hope you and Michelle enjoy your walk along the beach today . 

Wishing you both many more years of sharing your time together on that beach.

Stay safe & best wishes.

Mr & Mrs  Kalos :classic_smile:

• Like 8

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

It's certainly become my haven and has meant I can look and sound cheerful for my family on the odd occasion I feel a bit down. Perhaps this is the week when it all dawned upon us - more stringent rules and winter approaching, with the possibility of another lockdown.

Go for the move - I put my property on the market two days ago, just over a year after my husband died. It, plus the garden, are going to be too big to manage in a few years and I have to be practical. I've never moved on my own before without someone to bat ideas around with and it's a tad terrifying, but I'm trying to grit my teeth and get on with it before a decision is forced upon me.

Good luck!

Good luck to you that your house sells quickly and you find the perfect new home for yourself.

Graham.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Came across "The Yorkshire vet" whilst browsing thru the channels.Fly on the wall series narrated by Christopher Timothy.Thought it was good with some lovely local farming characters.

My daughter has watched that from the first episode. She did most of her Level 2 Animal Care training at Cannon Hall farm and enjoys seeing the familiar faces when the vets visit.

Avril

• Like 2

Andy 

I'm so glad you posted this Andy, it's put some perspective on my "tough day" and given me a gentle reminder to focus on (and be grateful for) all the positive things.

My sincere condolences and wishing you and Michelle many more happy years together.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 9

50 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

We found the physical process of moving - downsizing (again) nearly 3 years ago quite tiring but are really glad we did it.  In retrospect, it was good to go through “stuff”, to look in boxes which had never been unpacked since the previous move 15 years before, and to have a giant clear out.  (If you don’t do it now, someone else will have to do it after you’ve gone 🙄)

It’s proved a real boon being clutter-free and moving house was sort-of invigorating.  A new phase in life!
Good luck with your decision and if you do decide to move get the best of every service to help the process - estate agent, solicitor, removal firm, handyman for odd jobs at the new place, etc

I think we are all like goldfish  - we grow to the size of our bowl.

We had a major declutter about 8 -10 years ago,  and sold lots of things on eBay. It's amazing what people will buy, but it was very time consuming.  I now try to keep clutter down, and have regular clear outs.  However, if we ever downsized our house, we'd still have a lot of things to get rid of.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Tellb yor wife to give the new series a try, I was a big fan of the old series and had doubts about whether to watch the new version because I was worried about being disappointed but I am loving the new series other than Tristran.

I'm recording the series and will watch all the episodes at the end.

I've heard lots of good things about the new series, so I'm looking forward to seeing it 

Blimey you lot I’ve only been gone a few hours and there’s loads to catch up on.

This thread is so lovely, I don’t know where to start. I talk to my friends a lot via WhatsApp but haven’t seen many of them since March. But not seeing my parents and son & Grandson is awful. My son’s partner has often talked of moving to Wales which would upset me but now I think I’d follow them!

I feel so lucky I can work from home but it does mean I’m literally stuck at home all the time. The thought of not being able to even go in the garden when it gets colder and wet is awful.

Lots of love to everyone xx

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

Same here. 

Is it national watery-eye day today, or is there some late pollen floating around? Sniff.😪

Blame the pollen. I've been doing that a lot lately to explain away sniffles and watery eyes. It's easier to get away with it on here because you can't be seen😉

Avril

• Like 4

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

Here in Manchester we’ve not been able to meet anyone in our houses or gardens from any other household since end of July and it is now getting very wearing. 

Oh blimey that is awful. I don’t think people realise the mental pain this is causing. 

It’s all very well saying leave the elderly to lockdown but it’s hard for them too. My mum has definitely gone downhill since all this, she’s 81 and has Parkinson’s but she hates staying in.

• Like 6

Andy 

I hope your walk helps, Andy.

I find that being out in the open air is a great help, particularly when I'm by the sea.

If I'm in a good mood, it boosts my mood even more, or if I'm sad or worried it helps to blow away the things that are dragging me down. it just clears my head, even for a little while 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Blimey you lot I’ve only been gone a few hours and there’s loads to catch up on.

This thread is so lovely, I don’t know where to start. I talk to my friends a lot via WhatsApp but haven’t seen many of them since March. But not seeing my parents and son & Grandson is awful. My son’s partner has often talked of moving to Wales which would upset me but now I think I’d follow them!

I feel so lucky I can work from home but it does mean I’m literally stuck at home all the time. The thought of not being able to even go in the garden when it gets colder and wet is awful.

Lots of love to everyone xx

1963058088_SAFEATHOME.thumb.jpg.c3f94a655b31cc2689b6693806d55a59.jpg

:classic_smile: Stay Safe Everyone :classic_smile:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I'm so glad you posted this Andy, it's put some perspective on my "tough day" and given me a gentle reminder to focus on (and be grateful for) all the positive things.

My sincere condolences and wishing you and Michelle many more happy years together.

Best wishes to Andy, Michelle and Damien. 

You all sound like lovely people and perhaps we’ll all meet up on a cruise one day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kalos said:

1963058088_SAFEATHOME.thumb.jpg.c3f94a655b31cc2689b6693806d55a59.jpg

:classic_smile: Stay Safe Everyone :classic_smile:

Very true Kalos, as I said I do feel very lucky to be able to work from home and have a job. Tomorrow I have my first ever conference call 😱 Hope I can get into it ok!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AnnieC said:

Been watching it and agree with you. The only disappointment for me is the new Tristan - not in the same league as Peter Davison IMHO. The others are as good, if not better, than the original cast.

I haven’t seen this yet but I read the books years ok and saw the original series and Tristan was definitely my favourite!

I was reading the other day that, at the 6 month mark of any extended crisis, people 'hit a wall', so I think what we are feeling at the moment is quite natural.

At first, as with any change, it can be novel, and almost exciting. We've had a respite of a few months when we had a little bit of freedom. Now, it feels like everything is closing in again, and most people are realising that this is going to be a long and hard road.

The other day, I saw the  25th Anniversary Performance of Les Miserables on Sky Arts. To be honest, it made me feel sad, as we are so far away from group experiences like concerts and shows.

One day, when this has passed and I'm able to go to the theatre again to see a musical, I will probably sob with happiness, even more so than going on a cruise again. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I haven’t seen this yet but I read the books years ok and saw the original series and Tristan was definitely my favourite!

In the books and the original series, Tristan comes over as a lovable, lazy,  naughty schoolboy - in the new series it's rather difficult to take to him. Well worth watching, though, it's excellent. Hope you enjoy it, Sue.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

There is another option - basically lock down the old and the vulnerable and leave everything else to function more or less normally, and the hard liners are pushing for that, but it's politically a high risk strategy.

5 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Oh blimey that is awful. I don’t think people realise the mental pain this is causing. 

It’s all very well saying leave the elderly to lockdown but it’s hard for them too. My mum has definitely gone downhill since all this, she’s 81 and has Parkinson’s but she hates staying in.

I think Sue's response covers that one Harry. 

This morning I got a reply from one of my buddys who is out doing location filming in Spain .

He tells me that he finds it loads better than our country as for one they do what they are told .

Ie wear a mask and no one goes about like in the UK moaning about it .

Yes we have some daft rules ,now law but lets try a new idea in the UK, lets do like Spain does, 

thats do what we are told instead of trying to make things suit us . Seems to work in Spain .

Everyone's happy he says  Got to be better than "Yeah but no but all the time" :classic_smile:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

I think Sue's response covers that one Harry. 

This morning I got a reply from one of my buddys who is out doing location filming in Spain .

He tells me that he finds it loads better than our country as for one they do what they are told .

Ie wear a mask and no one goes about like in the UK moaning about it .

Yes we have some daft rules ,now law but lets try a new idea in the UK, lets do like Spain does, 

thats do what we are told instead of trying to make things suit us . Seems to work in Spain .

Everyone's happy he says  Got to be better than "Yeah but no but all the time" :classic_smile:

So, everyone in Spain is wearing a mask, and their infection rate is dramatically worse than in the UK!

Since my 'I'm feeling sorry for myself'😒' post this morning I've been reading back through them again I'd case I'd missed any. I came to realise that for a group of people who have, mostly, never met everyone seems to be friendly, caring and considerate with each other. Having never posted before until CC, is this a usual thing or just on this forum? 

Avril

• Like 7