P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

What some posters don't seem to grasp is there are  people who have the virus but don't show any symptoms so can spread the disease without realising it. My brother in law died from covid and both his daughter and grandaughter were the only people who looked after him. He had no contact with anyone else. They both said they weren't ill. So we will continue to be careful and not complacent about this unknown virus.

Stay well. 

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Quite. Posters suggesting above that the numbers of people infected are tiny simply don't understand statistics.

Nobody really knows the real figure because so few people are being tested. 

If you're older, the risks of serious complications or death from Covid rise substantially,  and the older the age the greater the risk.  It's just plain commonsense to cut the risk if you're older and keep well away from others.

It's not been helped by government confusion though, and the care home deaths are a national outrage.  Downright untruths in Parliament,  and all the Mail can bang on about is a fictional story about a donkey field worth a totally fictional £10m to try to throw people off the scent!

I doubt we will ever know the full accurate death toll from each country, as an example with the number of confirmed cases in Russia it seems a miracle that their death toll is among the lowest in Europe, and several other countries seem to be manipulating their recorded covid deaths.

12 minutes ago, kalos said:
3 hours ago, brian1 said:

You lot have started trawling now.Is that against the rules?

Depends on your network Brian but it's drawing them in Hook ,Line & Sinker

It warms the cockles of my heart that you two are still finding them. I'm whiting to see which of you gives in first.

Avril 

14 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We have been told that it seems to have hit its peak here in Stoke on Trent as with the North West. Without being political that is why we need regional statistics before decisions are made … just our opinion.

Presto, Stoke Council were appealing to people NOT to attend some planned gatherings in the city over the weekend because the number of local hospital admissions was still rising, that would  suggest that the peak has not been reached.  My niece is a nurse working in the red zone with covid patients at UHNM and she says that we are definitely not over the worst here yet.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, my marina bay said:

I understand everyone needs to assess their own situation but like Andymichelle said some sort of normality needs to be resumed. Im not having a pop at anyone but if restriction for the over 70s is lifted next month are those isolating now going to continue this for the next 12 months or more which is when a vaccine may be available. I'm all for the wearing of masks particularly in confined spaces and in the supermarket  but there is nothing like a walk in the fresh air to lift spirits particularly if you have access to a park or the seaside nearby.  It does no good for your mental health to remain indoors indefinitely.

We will be very cautious. When we are allowed out for a UK holiday we will probably give it a couple of weeks before we go. Probably wait for a month before we go on a cruise 😁.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It warms the cockles of my heart that you two are still finding them. I'm whiting to see which of you gives in first.

Avril 

OK,as long as you're not throwing us a red herring, cos I'm dredging now.

2 minutes ago, brian1 said:

OK,as long as you're not throwing us a red herring, cos I'm dredging now.

As if I would. It would only make you crabby😊. I'd have to be a right pilchard to do that to you two. 

Avril 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

I suppose it serves a porpoise. I won't go on as I'm floundering, so over and trout

• Haha 1

The statistics I quoted were official government stats for my home town. They include all positive tests including hospital, care homes, front line staff etc. 

I agree no one will ever know the true number.  There are around 68m in this country and a vaccine will not be given to everyone. My guess is the extremely vulnerable first, front line staff next, emergency services, then who. It's going to be a very very long time before some of us get vaccinated. Good hygiene measures at home and taking precautions when out will all help the NHS. 

No I won't be going on another cruise until I've reached the front of the vaccine queue

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I suppose it serves a porpoise. I won't go on as I'm floundering, so over and trout

Welcome to the aquarium 🐟🐠

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Our hospitals are really geared up and have not struggled yet, despite a fair few cases. 

They are well prepared for the expected second wave... 

I do get both sides of the argument as we have it here daily... I need to get back to some sort of normality, Michelle would be happy to batten down the hatches forever... 

Do what feels right for you. 

Andy 

I went to Morrison's at 8am.

I had my full face plastic visor on,gloves,coat,long trousers and shoes.

It was fairly quiet although none of the staff filling the shelves had masks on and were acting as if there was no virus and they certainly weren't social distancing.

Pauline disinfected the food packaging when I got home and all my clothes went straight into the washer and I had a shower.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It was fairly quiet although none of the staff filling the shelves had masks on and were acting as if there was no virus and they certainly weren't social distancing.

Pauline disinfected the food packaging when I got home and all my clothes went straight into the washer and I had a shower.

I did my usual weekly visit to Tesco at 7 o'clock this morning and that was exactly the same.  I can't understand the change this week because last week some of them had masks or face coverings and as you say social distancing has disappeared this week.  Tesco have arrows telling you which way to go along the aisles but today more people were ignoring them. I will continue to turn up in my mask for the foreseeable future and I will still avoid everyone that I can.

• Like 3

Anyway here's yesterdays catch of the day.Kate and Sidney pud.They don't sell kidneys (rognone) here,I think they're a bit wary of it being a urinary organ,surprising cos they eat all the other crap in an animal.We managed to get a butcher in a local supermarket to order some for us,but in the middle of last year they changed their suppliers and couldn't get them.Last week when I was walking past in my mask he recognised me,I think it was the West Ham shorts and trolley full of voddie that gave me away.He retrieved a pile of kidneys from his fridge and bingo we're back in business.WIN_20200510_18_05_47_Pro.thumb.jpg.1c527216118a1e85a22736d8931658d5.jpgWIN_20200510_18_11_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.da6fe7bed0a5d4dd787eb47a96642260.jpg

Edited by brian1
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I need to get back to some sort of normality, Michelle would be happy to batten down the hatches forever... 

Andy 

33 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

21 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I will continue to turn up in my mask for the foreseeable future and I will still avoid everyone that I can.

🎶   Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide No escape from reality 🎶

This is the new norm Andy for a lot of households, you look like you will have to do what Michelle tells you.:classic_wink:

It's no different in our house apart from our's gets delivered by Tesco/Morrisons.

Even down to the post !  Mrs Kalos will pick the mail up with a tissue and isolates the mail for 48 hours ??

Before I  can get near it ,she tells me that's because the virus can live on paper for a day .

So Andy this is the "new sort of reality" .That is unless you are wearing a face mask ,wearing West Ham shorts, 

roaming around the shops with a bag of  kidneys.. That is just plain weird :classic_unsure::classic_wink::classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, kalos said:

🎶   Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide No escape from reality 🎶

This is the new norm Andy for a lot of households, you look like you will have to do what Michelle tells you.:classic_wink:

It's no different in our house apart from our's gets delivered by Tesco/Morrisons.

Even down to the post !  Mrs Kalos will pick the mail up with a tissue and isolates the mail for 48 hours ??

Before I  can get near it ,she tells me that's because the virus can live on paper for a day .

So Andy this is the "new sort of reality" .That is unless you are wearing a face mask ,wearing West Ham shorts, 

roaming around the shops with a bag of  kidneys.. That is just plain weird :classic_unsure::classic_wink::classic_biggrin:

Not just us then!  Dealing with post, groceries and everything else that comes into the house is a nightmare!  Food and Amazon/ebay quarantine areas, diluted bleach, 24 hours for paper, 3/5 days for hard plastics, unclear for cardboard - and all based on very limited knowledge and research so far.

On the plus side, though, the refuse men have become incredibly helpful and friendly - amazing the difference a few words of thanks and the occasional chocolate bar and ice cream makes!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

He might be a bit koi.

Eel soon join our grouper. Zap's brill. We'll char him up.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel now folks😞

Avril 

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Kate and Sidney pie is it? Frank calls it Snake and Pygmy pie. I guess we all use different ingredients. Looks nice. 

Avril 

Sidney or Pygmy, it looks delicious. I am quite a fussy eater but oddly, I love kidney. In the dim and distant when Arcadia had a Gary Rhodes restaurant, they had steak and kidney pie on the menu. When it was served, I got a lovely piece of fillet steak alongside a small, individual kidney pie. It was delicious and much better than anything Epicurean has to offer.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not just us then!  Dealing with post, groceries and everything else that comes into the house is a nightmare!  Food and Amazon/ebay quarantine areas, diluted bleach, 24 hours for paper, 3/5 days for hard plastics, unclear for cardboard - and all based on very limited knowledge and research so far.

On the plus side, though, the refuse men have become incredibly helpful and friendly - amazing the difference a few words of thanks and the occasional chocolate bar and ice cream makes!

I am glad the bleach is diluted just in case someone takes a certain piece of idiotic advice and drinks it as a Covid cure (nothing political here to look at). Don’t do it!!! 🤢

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

We're gonna need a bigger boat.Now, where's my marine biology book.

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Kate and Sidney pie is it? Frank calls it Snake and Pygmy pie. I guess we all use different ingredients. Looks nice. 

Avril 

Pudding,made with veggy Atora and steamed in the pressure cooker.Don't need Epicurean or Savoy grill with my Mrs around,lol.

44 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Now that is  scraping the bottom of the.   Barbel.😂