P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have been out for our daily walk and there definitely seemed to be more people out and about.

We're still nervous of going out and will wait until we feel more confidant. We'll see what happens  to the R before we risk it. I've just done my excersise for today. Cleaned all the windows inside and polished the floors both upstairs and down. Frank's cut both lawns and the hedge. We're now sat with our feet up enjoying a cup of hot chocolate. Lovely😊

Avril 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We're still nervous of going out and will wait until we feel more confidant. We'll see what happens  to the R before we risk it. I've just done my excersise for today. Cleaned all the windows inside and polished the floors both upstairs and down. Frank's cut both lawns and the hedge. We're now sat with our feet up enjoying a cup of hot chocolate. Lovely😊

Avril 

We just go for a 2 mile walk every day and rarely see anyone but today we probably walked an extra mile crossing backwards and forwards across the road to avoid people. 😂😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Getting concerned at the Shark Attacks and their John Dorries, cannot swallow hook line and sinker.

Soft trout pout!

Whale I don't know much about sharks so it's best I clam up about them. However I could entertain you with a tuna two and a snapper my fingers. 

Avril 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Until then take your drink into The Pub and have a laugh. As you know,  kalos is a total loony as are others on there. They cheer me up no end. "Tomorrow will be a better day" according to  Captain Tom.

Both take care.

Avril 

Are you lot still Carp-ing on about fish?

Everyone's welcome at the pub but no pets are allowed that includes fish .:classic_rolleyes:

I nipped into Morrisons supermarket today.It was a bit busy at the counter so I shouted over the noise

"Have you got a haddock?"
Fishmonger said "No I took to aspirin and now i feel fine"   :classic_wink:

• Haha 4

I appreciate the reasons why the most vulnerable need  to stay isolated but those without significant health issues need to get out more and not believe what you read in the papers. In the North West where I live the virus is still prevalent. However DS informed me the hospital in our area has been very quiet with more staff than patients. Bearing in mind we live in a built up area I decided to look on the government website for the exact number of positive cases in our local authority ie not the Regional or County Council figure. It was just over 200 with a population of around 150,000. The media would have you believe that every other household is infected. It's unlikely a vaccine will be available for another  12 months, so be brave put a mask on if you are worried, go get some fresh air, have a stroll in the park, it will do you a world of good. Check the real CV figure for your town it may be a lot lower than you think.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, my marina bay said:

I appreciate the reasons why the most vulnerable need  to stay isolated but those without significant health issues need to get out more and not believe what you read in the papers. In the North West where I live the virus is still prevalent. However DS informed me the hospital in our area has been very quiet with more staff than patients. Bearing in mind we live in a built up area I decided to look on the government website for the exact number of positive cases in our local authority ie not the Regional or County Council figure. It was just over 200 with a population of around 150,000. The media would have you believe that every other household is infected. It's unlikely a vaccine will be available for another  12 months, so be brave put a mask on if you are worried, go get some fresh air, have a stroll in the park, it will do you a world of good. Check the real CV figure for your town it may be a lot lower than you think.

Good advice. There have only been 74 cases around here, with a population of over 100,000, so statistically insignificant. The chances of catching the virus when passing someone, especially in the open air with a breeze blowing is infinitessimal.   

58 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We just go for a 2 mile walk every day and rarely see anyone but today we probably walked an extra mile crossing backwards and forwards across the road to avoid people. 😂😂

We wear Jimmy Saville  masks. They don't stop the virus, but people with kids soon move out of the way.😷

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, my marina bay said:

It was just over 200 with a population of around 150,000 

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

There have only been 74 cases around here, with a population of over 100,000, so statistically insignificant. 

I'm pleased the cases in your areas are so low. I also regularly check our local cases and as of this morning we have 822 and rising  by approx 9 to 14 cases daily so forgive me for being a little cautious won't you. The R rate, according to today's news, apparently varies from region to region.

Avril 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Good advice. There have only been 74 cases around here, with a population of over 100,000, so statistically insignificant. The chances of catching the virus when passing someone, especially in the open air with a breeze blowing is infinitessimal.   

Not too many in the South West either, so everybody off to Torquay, or Boston for the hols .😁

1 hour ago, my marina bay said:

Papers! what papers, have not had one for 9 weeks, always had a daily and 2 on Sunday.

Its not about being brave, its about being there for someone else.

Appreciate the advise and I mean that, but each situation is different.

We should all do what we feel is right, for us and our circumstances.

Edited by mercury7289
spelling
  • Like 4

Another beautiful day here. Had another walk around our beautiful local park and were pleased to see that the heron hadn't got to the moorhen young and all 5 were there looking very grown up now. The Canada Geese have lots of lovely fluffy youngsters and the fishers were back again. Not too many people around and just a lot of sensible people keeping their distance and it playing, playing away from others.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Another beautiful day here. Had another walk around our beautiful local park and were pleased to see that the heron hadn't got to the moorhen young and all 5 were there looking very grown up now. The Canada Geese have lots of lovely fluffy youngsters and the fishers were back again. Not too many people around and just a lot of sensible people keeping their distance and it playing, playing away from others.

Have you seen the photo of the heron I posted on Friday in a new thread Presto? A very handsome specimen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

Papers! what papers, have not had one for 9 weeks, always had a daily and 2 on Sunday.

Its not about being brave, its about being there for someone else.

Appreciate the advise and I mean that, but each situation is different.

We should all do what we feel is right, for us and our circumstances.

Our hospitals are really geared up and have not struggled yet, despite a fair few cases. 

They are well prepared for the expected second wave... 

I do get both sides of the argument as we have it here daily... I need to get back to some sort of normality, Michelle would be happy to batten down the hatches forever... 

Do what feels right for you. 

Andy 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Have you seen the photo of the heron I posted on Friday in a new thread Presto? A very handsome specimen.

No - haven't been on for a few days ………… at least he didn't get the moorhen family ;-) Will have a look

54 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Our hospitals are really geared up and have not struggled yet, despite a fair few cases. 

They are well prepared for the expected second wave... 

I do get both sides of the argument as we have it here daily... I need to get back to some sort of normality, Michelle would be happy to batten down the hatches forever... 

Do what feels right for you. 

Andy 

We have been told that it seems to have hit its peak here in Stoke on Trent as with the North West. Without being political that is why we need regional statistics before decisions are made … just our opinion.

• Like 1

Think any further relaxing of lockdown should be as a United Kingdom as one and not currently differing for Wales & Scotland making even further rule changes regional would cause even more confusion than there already is.

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Think any further relaxing of lockdown should be as a United Kingdom as one and not currently differing for Wales & Scotland making even further rule changes regional would cause even more confusion than there already is.

But the consensus now seems to be that each local authority should decide when their schools reopen, so that b****rs up the idea of a united approach.!

Edited by terrierjohn

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

Not too many in the South West either, so everybody off to Torquay, or Boston for the hols .😁

The figures per local authority relate only confirmed cases where someone has tested, will not include anyone who has symptoms but has not been tested, so figure will be higher. 

“Note: Cases only include people who have had a positive test for the virus. Not everyone with the virus will have had a test.”

I know of at least 4 individuals who are believed to have had a mild version of the virus as they were advised by 111 to isolate at home and to call back if symptoms got worse, but they never had a test and so are not included in the confirmed cases. 

Edited by Snow Hill

Well we actually went for a 20 minute drive quite early this morning to do our walk. It was so nice as I’m normally just walking round residential streets. 
It was so lovely to see water again! We went to a place that is a tidal river estuary and there were people about but not many. Roads still pretty quiet.

Felt the most normal I’ve felt in months as the ‘prom’ was so wide it was easy to keep 2 metres apart.

Definitely did wonders for my mental health 😊

• Like 3

14 hours ago, kalos said:

Are you lot still Carp-ing on about fish?

Everyone's welcome at the pub but no pets are allowed that includes fish .:classic_rolleyes:

I nipped into Morrisons supermarket today.It was a bit busy at the counter so I shouted over the noise

"Have you got a haddock?"
Fishmonger said "No I took to aspirin and now i feel fine"   :classic_wink:

You lot have started trawling now.Is that against the rules?

• Like 1

I understand everyone needs to assess their own situation but like Andymichelle said some sort of normality needs to be resumed. Im not having a pop at anyone but if restriction for the over 70s is lifted next month are those isolating now going to continue this for the next 12 months or more which is when a vaccine may be available. I'm all for the wearing of masks particularly in confined spaces and in the supermarket  but there is nothing like a walk in the fresh air to lift spirits particularly if you have access to a park or the seaside nearby.  It does no good for your mental health to remain indoors indefinitely.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, my marina bay said:

I understand everyone needs to assess their own situation but like Andymichelle said some sort of normality needs to be resumed. Im not having a pop at anyone but if restriction for the over 70s is lifted next month are those isolating now going to continue this for the next 12 months or more which is when a vaccine may be available. I'm all for the wearing of masks particularly in confined spaces and in the supermarket  but there is nothing like a walk in the fresh air to lift spirits particularly if you have access to a park or the seaside nearby.  It does no good for your mental health to remain indoors indefinitely.

I absolutely agree. It feels bit scary venturing further from your local neighboured, which is so ridiculous. But this is our life for the foreseeable so being mindful and careful, I shall start to be brave.
My world cruise as a solo on Aurora In 2012 seems a very very long time ago now.

Remember health services capacity when considering returning to something like normality

Individually there doesn’t seem to be insurmountable risk for fit 70+.  However, if travelling more does cause infections to escalate, it is the NHS which picks up the pieces.  We mustn’t let it be overwhelmed.  We must give the front-line health staff a bit of breathing space

Everyone will need to weigh up the risk associated with various activities.  I look forward to a walk along a beach; I do not anticipate boarding a cruise ship unless and until there is a vaccine, or the virus has disappeared naturally 

• Like 3