P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I  hope you and everyone stay safe , in stay at home or stay alert mode .

A  lot of people I would guess will still be wary of going out still, and even if they do ,a lot of 

places will still have the public WC's shut ,so possibly limiting the distance some could travel.

Just before reading your post ,I got to thinking how many  living near the Scottish or Welsh borders 

would be tempted to nip over for a hour ? 

So my quote on Lets Smile Pub  was ..

"Keeping some areas of the UK in lockdown but not others,Is like having a peeing section in the swimming pool." :classic_unsure:

Lets hope it all works out for the better for all of us .

In the meantime I will let you back to your Brave Heart  Film ..... " FREEDOM ! "  :classic_wink: 

Until then .... images.png.a3912e185e5b6b0926493e174917bbce.png    Kalos :classic_smile:

As usual you give us all a smile. 

How often have you traveled up to Scotland? Nipping over the border is only open to a very few small towns and villages unless they travel a much greater distance.  Some in these villages have never left them (or only with great reluctance)  and would never do anything as exotic as visiting the next village, far less another country 😉

There is the added issue that anyone going out in a car over the border has to come back and they are likely to get stopped and asked what they were doing, shortly followed by a fine.

Yes the lack of WCs is likely to stop long journeys which will not be counted in miles but in potential “comfort” breaks.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That would be me Harry ! Yes, lunch there after a nice walk along the prom rounds off a perfect  morning.

Vamps - Papas is on the pier itself. There is a takeaway section,  and then an enormous restaurant with waiter service. Great chandeliers in there as well.

Thought it was, wowzz, but didn't want to embarrass you if it wasn't.  Great place, isn't it?

Seem to be doing online takeaway orders only at the moment, bringing food to the car in the car park - not sure how that works, though, because there's no car park is there?

Only downside I can think of to Cleethorpes is that unless you get the tide right the sea can be a very long way off!

14 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thought it was, wowzz, but didn't want to embarrass you if it wasn't.  Great place, isn't it?

Seem to be doing online takeaway orders only at the moment, bringing food to the car in the car park - not sure how that works, though, because there's no car park is there?

Only downside I can think of to Cleethorpes is that unless you get the tide right the sea can be a very long way off!

No, I don't see how the carry out service can work either.

17 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

last time we went was june 2017 so 3 years. 

we went in the sea on just up from the pier. I went in with my leggings rolled up and got a shock when I walked off a ledge while paddling that look me waist deep. Was soaked but dried quickly luckily. 
was just looking at the photos the kids look so young. 

I had a lovely surprise this morning. I opened the door to a young woman holding one large bouquet and one basket of flowers. I said I thought she'd come to the wrong house, she checked and said no it was correct. When I read the cards they were from our neighbour thanking both me and my daughter for getting her shopping and helping her during this time. I was so touched I cried.

So, Mablethorpe is our favourite. We haven't been for long time but when the children were young we went every year. We rented a bungalow opposite the beach and also a beach hut. There was a small takeaway fish & chip shop nearby which was amazing. The woman serving always called them 'duck' and they would quack all the way back to the bungalow. Happy memories 

Avril 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Happy weekend to you lucky folks who can go for a nice drive in the country or walk by the sea. Make the most of the freedom and good weather.

We are still on lock down, hopefully in a week or two they will let us out as well. We were a week or two after the South in the virus hitting up here so I suppose patience is required.

We had our long awaited trip to the seaside yesterday. Loo's were open and clean, parking free,not too many people and all social distancing After our walk along the seafront looking at the cruise ships anchored at the eastern end of the Solent an ice cream kiosk was open. Rum and Raisin for us. Who would have thought ,a few weeks ago that a day trip to Southsea would be such a delight. Maybe in a few weeks an overnight in the New Forest might  be on. Iona at the end of August?????

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

As usual you give us all a smile. 

How often have you traveled up to Scotland? Nipping over the border is only open to a very few small towns and villages unless they travel a much greater distance.  Some in these villages have never left them (or only with great reluctance)  and would never do anything as exotic as visiting the next village, far less another country 😉

There is the added issue that anyone going out in a car over the border has to come back and they are likely to get stopped and asked what they were doing, shortly followed by a fine.

Yes the lack of WCs is likely to stop long journeys which will not be counted in miles but in potential “comfort” breaks.

Well you have Carlisle, only 8 miles south of the border but only almost 80,000 people live there. a lot of Carlisle folk might be heading to Silloth or the Lake District/Pennines.

Could they seal the border or close the roads to non essential traffic? I counted them (sad), there are 30 road crossings give or take a couple. The main ones are the M6/A74, the A1, the A68 and probably the A7. The rest are mostly single track country roads and there are a lot of rivers in the way. You could probably do it with a couple of hundred police working shifts.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Who would have thought ,a few weeks ago that a day trip to Southsea would be such a delight. Maybe in a few weeks an overnight in the New Forest might  be on. 

You don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. This covid is bringing us all back down  to earth and teaching us how important the small things are. It's been making me feel nostalgic that's for sure.😊

Avril 

• Like 2

It’s been a beautiful day today - real English summer day.  The good weather is helping us cope - every good day is another day ticked off

A view along our 10000 steps.  About 10/15 minutes walk from home.  Now, have I been brilliant & snapped a couple of buzzards or was the lens dirty?

7D4E8792-8C54-47E1-A6AF-6418A05047C4.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Well you have Carlisle, only 8 miles south of the border but only almost 80,000 people live there. a lot of Carlisle folk might be heading to Silloth or the Lake District/Pennines.

Could they seal the border or close the roads to non essential traffic? I counted them (sad), there are 30 road crossings give or take a couple. The main ones are the M6/A74, the A1, the A68 and probably the A7. The rest are mostly single track country roads and there are a lot of rivers in the way. You could probably do it with a couple of hundred police working shifts.

When did you have the humour bypass Dave and did it hurt?

And I was talking about my side by the way so no Carlisle.

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. This covid is bringing us all back down  to earth and teaching us how important the small things are. It's been making me feel nostalgic that's for sure.😊

Avril 

Wish I had a car, I have about exhausted the possibilities of local walks and it is starting to get boring. I suppose I could buy one but I don't have a licence as I spent all my working life in London, plus I think 69 is a little old to learn although my cousin did in his 70's. Maybe an E- bike to extend the possibilities although I have not ridden for over 25 years. Its a bit hilly where I live.

Just now, davecttr said:

Wish I had a car, I have about exhausted the possibilities of local walks and it is starting to get boring. I suppose I could buy one but I don't have a licence as I spent all my working life in London, plus I think 69 is a little old to learn although my cousin did in his 70's. Maybe an E- bike to extend the possibilities although I have not ridden for over 25 years. Its a bit hilly where I live.

They are looking at legalising electric scooters and perhaps Segways which could be fun.

We are never too old to learn a new skill, go for it with the driving (if you would have use for a car).

7 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s been a beautiful day today - real English summer day.  The good weather is helping us cope - every good day is another day ticked off

A view along our 10000 steps.  About 10/15 minutes walk from home.  Now, have I been brilliant & snapped a couple of buzzards or was the lens dirty?

7D4E8792-8C54-47E1-A6AF-6418A05047C4.jpeg

What a beautiful area you live in. An amazing picture. I'm sure they were birds of some kind. Had to enlarge it but I found them.

Avril 

Thanks Avril - we are lucky

Don’t tend to holiday/cruise in the summer.  Why would we - we have all this, and the coast, on our doorstep?

But we did enjoy our winter cruises to warm places.  
Still not sure what the winter will bring.  We have plans to upgrade our TV (still not smart - how behind the times we are) but meeting friends and family would be wonderful.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

What a beautiful area you live in. An amazing picture. I'm sure they were birds of some kind. Had to enlarge it but I found them.

Avril 

I'm sure I can see the birds. When I show people my pictures of the Caribbean I say " can you see the frigate bird ?, can you?. Look closely there it was....... Damb,must have missed it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

We're hoping our November cruise goes ahead, but I'd trade it all to connect  with my daughter again and to hug my great -grandchildren. Oh dear, getting maudlin again. Must buck up😆

Avril 

Easy to understand why, sun is shining weekend ahead, people talking about coastal visits.

Still not safe out there.not been out for nearly 9 weeks.

No intention of letting my volunteer down by being stupid, after everything she has done for us, support works both ways.

Will sit on our drive tomorrow and see if any one joins us from a distance.

Need little treats, wine merchant from Suffolk restocking my needs next week down to 3 to 5 day window for delivery so things are looking up.

Has JD been a comfort to you?

Enough jokers on here to make you smile!

So keep safe for everyone?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Easy to understand why, sun is shining weekend ahead, people talking about coastal visits.

Still not safe out there.not been out for nearly 9 weeks.

No intention of letting my volunteer down by being stupid, after everything she has done for us, support works both ways.

Will sit on our drive tomorrow and see if any one joins us from a distance.

Need little treats, wine merchant from Suffolk restocking my needs next week down to 3 to 5 day window for delivery so things are looking up.

Has JD been a comfort to you?

Enough jokers on here to make you smile!

So keep safe for everyone?

Well said Mercury. 

I am seeing so many silly acts from people who should know better, so glad you have the respect for what the volunteers are doing. 

Keep safe and enjoy the driveway... 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Well said Mercury. 

I am seeing so many silly acts from people who should know better, so glad you have the respect for what the volunteers are doing. 

Keep safe and enjoy the driveway... 

Andy 

Fortunately the nearest beach to us is 5 miles away.

Today we went to South Shields about 15 miles from home and had a carton of chips each and a walk along the beach promenade.

IMG_20200515_130910.jpg

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Fortunately the nearest beach to us is 5 miles away.

Today we went to South Shields about 15 miles from home and had a carton of chips each and a walk along the beach promenade.

IMG_20200515_130910.jpg

Looks lovely Graham.. 

Pauline looks well. 

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1