P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Good Morning !  Grey, dry and cold out there but another good day, I'm a birthday boy, well not exactly a boy, 25 (x3) !  No visit to our favourite Italian Restaurant but a take away Chinese will be good later.

Happy birthday Bob, I hope you enjoy the day.

It is not a bad day here, warmer with no overnight frost and a light breeze, Mrs YP put her washing out before we went to th'Asda and it was dry when we got back. I was thinking of taking up meditating but not sure I could deal with all that sitting about doing nowt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Good Morning !  Grey, dry and cold out there but another good day, I'm a birthday boy, well not exactly a boy, 25 (x3) !  No visit to our favourite Italian Restaurant but a take away Chinese will be good later.

Happy Birthday Bob. Have a great day even if it involves sitting in the cold open air with a few others.

14 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Screenshot_2021-04-07-21-35-37_kindlephoto-93097601.png.33d083107704bf3f221fcabc458e0fce.png

Who can remember spending summers doing this.  My sister sent this to me because it reminded her of when we used to paddle in the stream when mum and dad would  take us for a picnic at Barlaston Downs.

Done that! 😀

• Like 1

Quite a nice morning at Weymouth, though colder than we would like, of course.  5 ships in.  I think they were Aurora and Arcadia with Britannia, together with two of the Queens.  Difficult to identify, looking into the sun, and difficult to get a good pic on my phone, as you can see.  Very nice to get out though.

Happy Birthday Bob.  Hope the sun is shining for you too

EFE0C751-8850-4273-A361-AC4CD445184D.jpeg

6BF1BD22-6298-4A17-95E5-4B6C784FB364.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

It’s Ventura Eddie and not Arcadia, just checked on my ship app , enjoy Weymouth I love it it was our childhood holiday place every year.

Just paid the balance of our holiday there at the end of June. Boris willing.😎

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Screenshot_2021-04-07-21-35-37_kindlephoto-93097601.png.33d083107704bf3f221fcabc458e0fce.png

Who can remember spending summers doing this.  My sister sent this to me because it reminded her of when we used to paddle in the stream when mum and dad would  take us for a picnic at Barlaston Downs.

We used to go out swimming on the loch which was freezing cold even at the height of summer but you never felt it as a child. Parents nowadays would be criticised for letting children loose in the deep cold water but ours knew we were very strong swimmers.

We fished, had bbqs on open fires on the shore, slept out in tents. It was all very famous five but then most children had that kind of freedom (and no electronic devices).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Quite a nice morning at Weymouth, though colder than we would like, of course.  5 ships in.  I think they were Aurora and Arcadia with Britannia, together with two of the Queens.  Difficult to identify, looking into the sun, and difficult to get a good pic on my phone, as you can see.  Very nice to get out though.

EFE0C751-8850-4273-A361-AC4CD445184D.jpeg

6BF1BD22-6298-4A17-95E5-4B6C784FB364.jpeg

We are coming to Weymouth for a week in September!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Happy birthday Bob, enjoy your day 🍻🍻

23 minutes ago, ann141 said:

We are coming to Weymouth for a week in September!

It was quite bustling, in a cool-for-April sort of way this morning.  Lots of beach ?reprofiling?, scraping back pebbles and shingle to expose more hard sand at Preston beach, road works, and tentative steps towards opening the beachy shops, in case you need a bucket and spade.  Guest houses being painted and spruced up

The town beach was busy with walkers with dogs, walkers without dogs, and parents & grandparents with children.  Nobody in the sea and only a couple of hardy labradors braved the water

Did you get your dog? (It was you who was adopting, wasn’t it?). S/he will love the beach.  Not the town (central) beach, in September, but they are allowed by the pavilion and other parts at all times of the year

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

It was quite bustling, in a cool-for-April sort of way this morning.  Lots of beach ?reprofiling?, scraping back pebbles and shingle to expose more hard sand at Preston beach, road works, and tentative steps towards opening the beachy shops, in case you need a bucket and spade.  Guest houses being painted and spruced up

The town beach was busy with walkers with dogs, walkers without dogs, and parents & grandparents with children.  Nobody in the sea and only a couple of hardy labradors braved the water

Did you get your dog? (It was you who was adopting, wasn’t it?). S/he will love the beach.  Not the town (central) beach, in September, but they are allowed by the pavilion and other parts at all times of the year

We are looking forward to visiting and are staying in self catering accommodation.No dog- I prefer other peoples dogs!Don't like the thought of having to get up on cold dark winter mornings!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I have an uncle who lives in Weymouth.

Ex West Ham footballer from the 1950s

I think it Celebrity who are calling into Portland on their UK cruises this summer. Nice place, Weymouth.

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

40 years ago I did research work for the Dept of Industry in Weymouth (commuted from Southampton). It was at a place called Bincleaves on the breakwater at the World War 1 torpedo test facility ( bottom right of picture below)

image.png.4ed0206d7699020575577739807d03ff.png

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I think it Celebrity who are calling into Portland on their UK cruises this summer. Nice place, Weymouth.

Our Princess cruise in October has its first port of call at Portland. Some of the excursions to places like Salisbury and Stonehenge are much closer to Southampton than Portland, so people could visit them the day before boarding with freedom rather than be on a constrained Princess excursion.

Weymouth is a nice place.  Lovely beach, lovely bay.  Proper old-fashioned seaside, really

I think several of the cruise lines are calling at Portland.  Visitors could do worse than explore Portland itself - it’s a one-off.  I hope some enterprising locals work up a tour or two.  Chesil  Beach, the quarries which sent their lovely white stone round the world, even the prison.  I love Drunkards Row! Some of the original pubs are still operational, most not, but the architecture is still there.  Poor sailors, returning from their voyages with their pockets full and some of them not getting further than Drunkards Row before spending all on alcohol and women and having to just find another ship.

StM, we walked around Nothe, and the area you pictured, on Monday, on our semi-release.  There were 3 intrepid ladies swimming in that cove!  Brrr

Edit

I should also mention that Weymouth is reputed to be the entry point for the Black Death.  Topical 🙄

https://weareweymouth.co.uk/attractions-sights/historic-buildings-country-houses/weymouth-and-the-black-death/

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Our Princess cruise in October has its first port of call at Portland. Some of the excursions to places like Salisbury and Stonehenge are much closer to Southampton than Portland, so people could visit them the day before boarding with freedom rather than be on a constrained Princess excursion.

If allowed, I would prefer to have a wander around Weymouth. When I was younger you could actually go up to Stonehenge and sit on the stones. Well roped off now. Russian tourists apparently visit Salisbury.😂

48 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Weymouth is a nice place.  Lovely beach, lovely bay.  Proper old-fashioned seaside, really

I think several of the cruise lines are calling at Portland.  Visitors could do worse than explore Portland itself - it’s a one-off.  I hope some enterprising locals work up a tour or two.  Chesil  Beach, the quarries which sent their lovely white stone round the world, even the prison.  I love Drunkards Row! Some of the original pubs are still operational, most not, but the architecture is still there.  Poor sailors, returning from their voyages with their pockets full and some of them not getting further than Drunkards Row before spending all on alcohol and women and having to just find another ship.

StM, we walked around Nothe, and the area you pictured, on Monday, on our semi-release.  There were 3 intrepid ladies swimming in that cove!  Brrr

Edit

I should also mention that Weymouth is reputed to be the entry point for the Black Death.  Topical 🙄

https://weareweymouth.co.uk/attractions-sights/historic-buildings-country-houses/weymouth-and-the-black-death/

Modern cement is called Portland in recognition of it similarity to Portland Stone. Hydraulic cements having been in use since Greek times, but modern Portland Cement was patented in 1824 by Joseph Aspdin...............argue with that Harry.🤣

Still chilly here, but at least wind has dropped, seems starting to come through in greenhouse, a good sign, and moss in lawn turning black after lawn sand applied. I think I will be busy gardening in coming weeks. New drill and tripod steps arrived today with 3 adjustable legs will make painting the fence on the sloping path much easier and safer, as will the cutting of the hedge.

Has a round of golf with Tiger Woods this afternoon, on the Wii, Tiger won, I was 4 over par, a big improvement on last weeks attempt. This is part of my exercise routine, which is what I tell my wife. 😉

What a lovely community there is on here. Many thanks for all your birthday wishes, it means a lot. Met up with some family, socially distanced, in the garden, with heating. With a few drams, the cold seems irrelevant  !! Very nice Chinese, first for months so made a change. Settling down with another dram, watching The Masters. 

• Like 15