P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I feel that more recent history provides a better exemplar.  Try September - December 2020 and the rise in cases/hospitalisation/deaths from a very, very low point.  Look what happened then.  Alleged public pressure for easing (I’m not 100% sure that was the majority view, just how the popular media projected it) ‘The sombrero was squashed’, but it jumped back up and caused more mayhem and death than the first wave.

Why not give it a few more weeks, till school is out and till many more people have been vaccinated?  Consider vaccinating children?

Look at the rate of uptick now.  Concerning!

(gov.uk data from yesterday)

F3D83627-A38D-4579-A3C6-F629C7D287DC.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

One thing's for sure, once this deviant has diminished, another one will come along. Perhaps we should lockdown untill there is no risk, ever of another pandemic. I don't know how many folk are still in their nuclear bunkers that they entered in 1965. Is it safe to come out yet?.

They'll have a shock when they turn the telly on.Ken Barlow's still in Corrie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, kalos said:

Good morning everyone, I hope you all had a good Bank Holiday, even if you were 

out there working.  All those posts about cooking steak steak yesterday on here got 

me thinking ? :classic_rolleyes: Mrs Kalos was grilling a steak for me  and the smell of the juices

as it cooked made my mouth water.... As I said it got me thinking ....
Do vegetarians get  the same effect when they are mowing a lawn ? :classic_unsure:

If your waiting for a  steak joke from me this morning, sorry, I haven't got that many

but the good ones are rare.:classic_biggrin: I see some of you have not mastered these so called

smart phones you possess and they keep outwitting you by popping strange words

into your posts !  Did I ever tell you about the inventor of predictive text when he was

injured in a traffic accident....He  was  bacon by ambience to the horse piddle, sad two

bee in a factory position .:classic_wacko:  Well I'm off to see what's into todays papers, catching up

on the  news and I see that Corduroy pillows are still making head lines.:classic_unsure:

It looks to be another lovely day today ,so make sure you enjoy it and stay safe guys ! :classic_love:

336860165_happiness(1).jpg.46ff4fb127ca321ba0df6a7d28538062.jpg

Thanks for the morning laugh Kalos.

You should be able to test out your new swing today.

It is 20°C and I am lazing in the garden after our 4 days of touring the Lake District.

Stay safe everyone and good luck with vaccine jabs and hospital visits anyone who is going there today.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I absolutely agree with you. This variant is spreading very fast indeed, even without any further relaxations. Loosening up still further later this month would be madness.

Vaccinations are great, but it’s very convenient for politicians to deliberately ‘forget’ the unvaccinated and the 750,000 or so highly vulnerable  immunosuppressed people for whom they’re unlikely to have any effect.

I agree.

We have got a lot of our freedoms back but I would wait another 4 weeks after June 21st before fully opening up.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You should be able to test out your new swing today.

It's Avril who is the swinger not me, we have the sun parasol which is quite enough

excitement for me thank you . Looking on the camera's I see that Sunderland  has a bit 

of a sea fret going on today . Thankfully not near your house . Have a nice day :classic_smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree.

We have got a lot of our freedoms back but I would wait another 4 weeks after June 21st before fully opening up.

Glad you enjoyed your 4 days touring the lake District. If waiting another 4 weeks is a good idea, 4 months would be even better. No lake District, or McDonalds this side of Christmas.🤣

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

We don’t yet know about hospitalisation rates nationally, but they’re already increasing in the areas affected by the new variant. And it’s not right to say we’ll never get back to some sense of normality if we don’t move on 21 June - we’re simply talking about a short delay now to fend off possibly yet another complete lockdown in a couple of months.

It’s unfortunate that the world beating track and trace system failed yet again to achieve anything when there were just a handful of reported cases in the UK. What went wrong this time!

The British Medical Association are now advocating a delay. That’s good enough for me.

Except for people wearing masks inside shops and while walking around restaurants everything seemed back to normal over the last 4 days in a packed Lake District.

I would give it an extra month to see how the Indian variant develops.

Unfortunately I had Covid19 and unless you have had it yourself you don't fully appreciate how nasty covid19 is.

Graham.

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

I agree.

Quite. Nobody's talking about cancelling the 21 June changes - just making a short postponement to allow more and more people to be vaccinated.  There's nothing magical about 21 June (except the original statement by the PM that the timetable was "cautious but irreversible") that can't wait a few weeks.

Those last changes would be nice, but the major changes have already been made, and life is very liveable.  It won't be at all liveable if we have to go into yet a third full lockdown to deal with the effects of a third wave.

Another few weeks will see huge further numbers of vaccinated people, and the more there are the lower the spread, and the greater the chance of some limited herd immunity.

Simple choice - lives or profits.  I hope they make the right choice, but I fear they won't. Again.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Quite. Nobody's talking about cancelling the 21 June changes - just making a short postponement to allow more and more people to be vaccinated.  There's nothing magical about 21 June (except the original statement by the PM that the timetable was "cautious but irreversible") that can't wait a few weeks.

Those last changes would be nice, but the major changes have already been made, and life is very liveable.  It won't be at all liveable if we have to go into yet a third full lockdown to deal with the effects of a third wave.

Another few weeks will see huge further numbers of vaccinated people, and the more there are the lower the spread, and the greater the chance of some limited herd immunity.

Simple choice - lives or profits.  I hope they make the right choice, but I fear they won't. Again.

+1.

19 minutes ago, kalos said:

It's Avril who is the swinger not me, we have the sun parasol which is quite enough

excitement for me thank you . Looking on the camera's I see that Sunderland  has a bit 

of a sea fret going on today . Thankfully not near your house . Have a nice day :classic_smile:

Not that old chestnut mate.I got into trouble with sis last time.

• Haha 2

The big difference that will occur, if the June 21sr changes go ahead, is that social distancing will no longer  be required. This will mean that restaurants, pubs etc, will be able to operate at full capacity, which will be a life line for them, and save the jobs of thousands of workers.

Theatres, music venues etc will also be able to open up.

By all means keep the rules about mask wearing, no queuing  at the bar etc, but at the very least scrap the social distancing  rules. 

As an aside, if the changes are delayed for a further 4 or 6 weeks, a lot of people will not be going on their  cruise Seacations during that period.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I see Birmingham  seem to be going the right way .If your over 18 come in and we will vaccinate you there and then .Seems a win ,win all round . No wastage and the more the merrier and safer for us all in the long run hopefully .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

I feel that more recent history provides a better exemplar.  Try September - December 2020 and the rise in cases/hospitalisation/deaths from a very, very low point.  Look what happened then.  Alleged public pressure for easing (I’m not 100% sure that was the majority view, just how the popular media projected it) ‘The sombrero was squashed’, but it jumped back up and caused more mayhem and death than the first wave.

Why not give it a few more weeks, till school is out and till many more people have been vaccinated?  Consider vaccinating children?

Look at the rate of uptick now.  Concerning!

(gov.uk data from yesterday)

F3D83627-A38D-4579-A3C6-F629C7D287DC.jpeg

Eddie, there is a massive difference between Sept to Dec last year and now, then there was no vaccine, now 50% have full protection and 75% have had 1 jab. So any comparison of that data with any likelihood now, is very remote.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Eddie, there is a massive difference between Sept to Dec last year and now, then there was no vaccine, now 50% have full protection and 75% have had 1 jab. So any comparison of that data with any likelihood now, is very remote.

Give it a few more weeks, then another few, then another few. We can open up now. Whoops all the pub's, restaurants, hotels, theatres ,holiday companies etc have gone bust. We could go, but there's nowhere left. No money either. Companies have sacked the staff, pension funds gone south.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The big difference that will occur, if the June 21sr changes go ahead, is that social distancing will no longer  be required. This will mean that restaurants, pubs etc, will be able to operate at full capacity, which will be a life line for them, and save the jobs of thousands of workers.

Theatres, music venues etc will also be able to open up.

By all means keep the rules about mask wearing, no queuing  at the bar etc, but at the very least scrap the social distancing  rules. 

As an aside, if the changes are delayed for a further 4 or 6 weeks, a lot of people will not be going on their  cruise Seacations during that period.  

Difficult to forget, though, Wowzz, that the last time the government decided to loosen things up too soon we ended up with another lockdown and tens of thousands of deaths.

The vaccination programme isn’t yet far enough forward to cope with the increased infectivity of the new strain, large numbers have little protection anyway, and we aren’t yet at the point of herd immunity.  Let’s get there before we risk everything again, and let’s not forget the impact of long covid on our young people either.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You’re omitting to mention the other big change though, John - the increased infectivity of the Indian strain, and its greater resistance to vaccines.

• Like 2

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

Difficult to forget, though, Wowzz, that the last time the government decided to loosen things up too soon we ended up with another lockdown and tens of thousands of deaths.

The vaccination programme isn’t yet far enough forward to cope with the increased infectivity of the new strain, large numbers have little protection anyway, and we aren’t yet at the point of herd immunity.  Let’s get there before we risk everything again, and let’s not forget the impact of long covid on our young people either.

Harry, at the very beginning of the pandemic Patrick Valance said herd immunity would need about 60 -70% having been infected. The current level of vaccination is almost there, and if you add on those who have had the virus but have not yet been vaccinated, then we are well above the required herd immunity level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You’re omitting to mention the other big change though, John - the increased infectivity of the Indian strain, and its greater resistance to vaccines.

Harry, I know you love to quote inaccurate political statistics, but please check your posts before you quote inaccuracies about the Indian variant being more resistant to vaccines. The latest info I have read indicates it is not more resistant to vaccines.

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

the increased infectivity of the Indian strain, and its greater resistance to vaccines.

I'm not aware that the Indian vaccine is more resistant to vaccines. If that were the case, surely there would have been a markedly higher level of hospitalisations than is currently the case.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry, at the very beginning of the pandemic Patrick Valance said herd immunity would need about 60 -70% having been infected. The current level of vaccination is almost there, and if you add on those who have had the virus but have not yet been vaccinated, then we are well above the required herd immunity level.

Sorry, John, but that figure for herd immunity was based on the original strain. Since then we’ve had several more variants of concern, including the Kent and Indian variants. Each of those two has increased the required percentage for herd immunity because of the increased infectivity.

• Like 1