P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

34 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

it’s all well and good opening everything up, but, if the virus starts spreading uncontrollably, then people, especially older people who use the leisure industry in off peak times, will simply stay at home and not bother. 

But us old uns will have been vaccinated, so can quite happily go out and spend! 

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Some will ,some won't. We are all adults and should be able make adult decisions.

I've read the debate with interest today and that's the bottom line isn't it? Everyone needs to decide for themsleves.

The rugby league club where Michelle and I are long standing season ticket holders have twice given us the opportunity to attend matches but for now we're happy watching on TV at home. They've been really clear about matchday arrangements with scheduled arrival times for individual spectators and other details such as seating arrangements and ordering refreshments at the stadium, but for us we're not quite ready to take that step, and be part of a large crowd at the match, just yet.

However, we do have tickets for "Let's Rock Leeds" which is a music festival close to home on 26th June. We bought them in 2019 for 2020 so they have carried over with no offer of a refund in lieu (though I haven't pursued one). I'm not sure how I feel about this, as it will be outdoors in a large park but last time we were there it was very crowded (we turned up an hour before the first act and I'd estimate we were about 200 metres from the stage). The thing that really strikes me about it all is that I keep getting promotional emails about tickets but we have had no information whatsoever about safety measures. It therefore seems to me that the organisers are absolutely banking on the government roadmap "step 4" being activated on 21st June, in time for the event to go ahead with no crowd limits or other restrictions.

With this in mind my guess is that with so many people hanging on that date (21st June) and the great expectations associated with it (even though the roadmap states "no earlier than...") the government will fear a backlash if they don't proceed and will therefore stick to it. 

If the music festival does go ahead then we will go up to the park and use our tickets. Luckily, the good news for us is that if we don't feel comfortable once there it's only a mile from home so it's less of an issue for us to call it a day and leave compared to those who have travelled miles (especially those from outside of Leeds / West Yorkshire).

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But us old uns will have been vaccinated, so can quite happily go out and spend! 

Funny old world. We seem to have ignored young kids in nappies in the pool. I will avoid that. We have always avoided buses etc. Our choice. We don't need to be told every thing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

Well, finally got to see the 2 engravings my donations to the British Heart Foundation paid for on the "Heart of Steel" in Meadowhall, Sheffield. One was for a lifelong friend who died from a heart attack at the age of 57 4 years ago and who ironically, was a regular shopper at the British Heart Foundation charity shops. The other for Patrick following his heart attack last year. You need a magnifying glass to see them with the naked eye!

BTW upon return our conservatory is showing a temperature of 31 degrees, ouch!

309C39C6-8889-4261-9221-200A0934396E_1_201_a.jpeg

DD295F11-593F-4CCC-956C-C8B8FE9A62C6.jpeg

I will make sure that I look for Patricks name next time I go to Meadowhall.Its not far from us but I probably go only once or twice a year and haven't been since lockdown

• Like 2

Sorry but I think what I am about to say might upset many but I do think this thread as run its course and is getting boring in the majority now. If I want the weather forecast around the UK I can look online or TV and knowing what everyone is doing every minute of every day is like Twitter 2. Also the usual "experts" are arguing amongst themselves that they are right and everyone else is wrong  on every subject the latest being the Indian variant of Covid.

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but I think what I am about to say might upset many but I do think this thread as run its course and is getting boring in the majority now. If I want the weather forecast around the UK I can look online or TV and knowing what everyone is doing every minute of every day is like Twitter 2. Also the usual "experts" are arguing amongst themselves that they are right and everyone else is wrong  on every subject the latest being the Indian variant of Covid.

*shrugs*

You know it’s not obligatory to read the thread 

• Like 18

10 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I'm not upset, but may give tomorrow a miss as the forecast is 26o and sunny, so an hour in the garden and a walk in the countryside. A panini and a coffee in the sandwich bar and home in time to see what the experts are saying. What are you up to?,🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Yes!

The breakfast looks slightly expensive, but we thought we’d give it a try

Very interested in this one.  Can't see a menu for our one but looked at the one for Cambridge but there are no prices.  OH said it must be one of those places "if you have to ask the price then you can't afford it"  😀

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Some of us have been staying at home and spending, even though shops reopened weeks ago I have still not felt the need to go to the town centre. Seems I am not the only one after seeing comments on community pages from people who work there, after the initial rush footfall has dropped off and is very much lower than it was at the equivalent time in 2019. 

Some of the comments said people have now got used to online shopping and see no need to wander around in shops looking for items when they can find it online. I was talking to a couple at the week at the place where I volunteer, they said they are spending their time doing things they couldn’t do during lockdown, shopping is not important anymore, they can get what they need online at click of a button. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Very interested in this one.  Can't see a menu for our one but looked at the one for Cambridge but there are no prices.  OH said it must be one of those places "if you have to ask the price then you can't afford it"  😀

There was a menu up in the window when I walked past last week. I think the cooked breakfast was £9.90.

Looking at the menu reminded me of being on a cruise, when you go and have a look at the dinner menu when passing the MDR 

7 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

This day in 2019 we departed Southampton on the Azura on out way to Stavanger in Norway for our cruise round the fjords, little did we know then it would be our last cruise for a while. 

My phone gave me an ‘on this day’ selection of photos for 1/6/19, and it looked like a nice day. It must have been a pleasant sail away. 

There’s a positive side to this pandemic.

It might not affect that many here, but some of our children may be experiencing the huge benefits that can come from working at home one or more days a week. Not for everyone - some hate it and others don’t get the chance - but an awful lot of people are hugely happier after losing that unpleasant daily commute.

Not good news for major cities, but very good news for a lot of towns and villages.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry your bored Tom but prof Van Tam could not make it today :classic_wink: As the cruises

begin to pick to pick up I'm sure you will find plenty of other threads that are suited

to your taste . They maybe talking variants and  getting back to normal , if there ever

will be such a thing but they say its good to talk . A lot were going mental when they

thought this thread was closing and that was only a week ago, they made it quite

clear in the majority they wish it to remain . There remains the problem ,shall we all

stop posting ... Then what ?    Please take care and stay safe .

• Like 17

13 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It might not affect that many here, but some of our children may be experiencing the huge benefits that can come from working at home one or more days a week. Not for everyone - some hate it and others don’t get the chance - but an awful lot of people are hugely happier after losing that unpleasant daily commute.

Not good news for major cities, but very good news for a lot of towns and villages.

Hugely positive post there Harry as your account bin hacked

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I don't  believe you will bother anyone, if my boring daily comments on the weather and plans for the day bore you, just move on and shut the door behind you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Both my sons work from home have been doing so since before pandemic started, neither need an office base to work from, my eldest sons company has said they expect most of their employees to be working from remote locations in future, be that home or a regional hub.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

You do not have to read this thread if you don't want to Tom there are other threads currently running.

You could start your own thread at any time  and I'm sure we will contribute if we feel we can offer something to your thread 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Both my sons work from home have been doing so since before pandemic started, neither need an office base to work from, my eldest sons company has said they expect most of their employees to be working from remote locations in future, be that home or a regional hub.

Same situation here - it's been transformational for my son's lifestyle. Now able to work from home, 70 miles from the office, with just one office day a week.  His fiancée has to live within 20 minutes of the hospital, in the area where they're buying a house, and as things stood he'd have had some really nasty commuting. Now he can look out on the Peak District but still work, without the travel.

• Like 5